Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

2015 Small Business Saturday (USA): TARGETED

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
2015 Small Business Saturday (USA): TARGETED

I did a search and nothing came up, so I apologize if this has already been posted.

Saw on a couple of sites that posted that Amex will not be offering a statement credit this year for Small Business Saturday:

From the SBS FAQ:
Is there an American Express Statement Credit Offer for Card Members for Small Business Saturday this year?

As in years past, American Express will continue to drive awareness of Small Business Saturday and encourage consumers to shop small through local and national advertising.

This year we are not offering a statement credit offer for Card Members on Small Business Saturday, but are instead increasing the support and resources we provide to help small business owners market the day within their communities and truly make it their own. Learn about the materials we make available at ShopSmall.com/GetReady:

Customizable marketing materials
Free online ads
Shop Small merchandise kits (while supplies last)
Educational event guides

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...obalfooter-FAQ

With this announcement, I can close all of those authorized user cards I had for my wife on cards that were only used on SBS.

Last edited by ktremor; Sep 30, 2015 at 7:18 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:20 am

Seems to be an extreme reaction compared to offers in the past 3 years. If they were worried about losing too much money, they could have restricted statement credits to primary cards and disallowed authorized users. Or maybe give $10 off $20. That would have been the fair thing to do. As things stand, I will boycott the day by not spending a single cent at any business.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by Campath
Seems to be an extreme reaction compared to offers in the past 3 years. If they were worried about losing too much money, they could have restricted statement credits to primary cards and disallowed authorized users. Or maybe give $10 off $20. That would have been the fair thing to do. As things stand, I will boycott the day by not spending a single cent at any business.
Or you could just not use any AMEX cards that day. It's not really the fault of small businesses that AMEX is getting rid of the statement credits.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It was a promotion, not an entitlement. It ended, probably because it did not achieve its objectives. There will be something else.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I can’t blame them either as 90% of people tried to spend just enough to get the credit, $10 for $10, $25 for $25, etc..

Not many would spend say $50 for $25 or similar.

Another example of what the. Internet gives in terms of exploiting these types of offers, the Internet can also take when companies see all the foaming at the mouth type posts about how to exploit the offers, weeks and months in advance
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
It was a promotion, not an entitlement.
That's not the way the Internet works, look at how people want to sue Discover Card for their 20%
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:38 am

This is really sad news. I was looking forward to SBS this year!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:19 pm

SBS is dead -- Long Live SBS!!!
On the positive side, that's one less chore to do around the holidays.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Figures it happens the year I finally plan ahead and expand my Amex portfolio - with two new cards last night (gold charge and gold Delta). Also added Serve and Fidelity in the last month to bring my total up to seven. I guess that is 21 six packs and 1/5s of whiskey I won't be getting practically free this year. I'll have to do a duty free run to Canada.

At least there is still plenty of earning potential along with some decent signup bonuses. Hopefully some good sync offers will come around too.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was slightly bummed that I was going to be out of the country this SBS (though I'm sure I'll enjoy my vacation trip much more than I would have enjoyed SBS). Now I don't have to be bummed at all, I guess.

I extend my condolences to those not out of the country on that day, though...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Well, maybe, just maybe, by AMEX not having this promo will save my life by not having to drive all over town in the middle of a snowstorm.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I was slightly bummed that I was going to be out of the country this SBS (though I'm sure I'll enjoy my vacation trip much more than I would have enjoyed SBS). Now I don't have to be bummed at all, I guess.

I extend my condolences to those not out of the country on that day, though...
Same here.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:08 pm

small business saturday shows up YMMV on your amex account page

some get $10 off $10, some get $10 off $100 or $20 off $100, some get nothing

says you have to purchase BY 11/28, not on 11/28 itself (like previous years)....
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paperwastage
small business saturday shows up YMMV on your amex account page

some get $10 off $10, some get $10 off $100 or $20 off $100, some get nothing

says you have to purchase BY 11/28, not on 11/28 itself (like previous years)....
Nothing on my Amex Platinum, $10 off $10 on my Delta Amex, nothing on my Hilton Amex.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
For Small Business Saturday offer,

It is $10 off $10 spending on personal cards and $20 off $100 spending on business cards, IF you are targeted for the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.