Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX denied Platinum 100K application without credit inquiry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold

I'm an existing cardholder of AMEX, but never a platinum...

Called today to try and get the 100K Platinum offer over the phone. Agent was able to apply for the offer for me, read all the disclosures, submitted application... and then declined. Couldn't tell me why.

I called the new accounts dept number, asked them why. They said they didn't pull my credit, but made decision based on their monthly Experian soft checks (same check they use to provide us with free score). The computer said I had too many inquiries in last year (I checked and I have 10 in last 12 mo and 5 in last 6 mo), accounts too new, not enough installment loan information (BS), etc. etc.

I asked agent to reconsider given my otherwise unblemished credit history but all she could do was resubmit it to underwriting, which would require a hard credit pull. She said something to the effect that unless something material changes on the hard pull, they'll still deny me. Nor could I attach any kind of statement about why I wanted a new card, it would just be purely based on my credit report. I didn't want to risk a hard pull for no reason.

I'm wondering what's the best reconsideration option at this point? Does Amex have an recon number where I can talk to a credit analyst? I've seen some suggestions of calling their executive office, others have mailed or faxed letters to get recon.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Maybe they took a look at your FT name and decided "umm....no thanks"?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I thought that you didn't want a hard pull. But, you want a recon when there hasn't yet been one.

You really can't have it both ways. Are you willing to "spend" a hard pull for something where an agent tried to tell you that if the hard pull didn't show anything different, you would be denied? If you are willing to, why not just call in and have them do it.

Bear in mind that credit decisions at this level are made on more than just credit score. It's risk profile and that includes many other factors.

At a minimum, why not wait for your written denial and see if it contains any more information than you received on the phone.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:24 pm

Instant decline would be a better situation than hard pull and decline. AMEX has unique and less harmful way of declining existing customers which is pretty nice. Unless any of those information is wrong (you didn't open some cards but reported that way, or your income is higher that what they have, etc), you'll get declined anyway. 10 cards for 12 months is too much from any aspects. Now that churning is impossible, I would wait another 2-3 years for the same deal to appear.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:18 am

Wow I guess I lucked out then. I've had 7 inquiries in the last 6 months, but was still approved over the phone. With all my recent inquiries I'll be taking a break after this one...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've had 4 new cc's in the last year (none declined). 2 were business accounts w/ Amex. Over two years, I have had a total of 9. I think I'm going to try this.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wouldn't it be wiser to leave it go and reapply in 6 months, or a year? Why risk a hard pull for nothing? When Amex is willing to decline someone w/o a hard pull, I would consider that a favor.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
I thought it was common knowledge that sometimes with amex, if you're a current cardmember and you apply for another card with them, if you're denied it's only a soft pull, but if approved it is a hard pull.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I definitely didn't get the memo that AMEX would only soft pull existing cardholders if they intend to decline. I guess it is a favor in a way. I've always wanted the 100K plat offer and finally it comes so close only to slip away

I also learned that AMEX doesn't have live recon in the traditional sense.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Amex recon is "If there was an error on your report, fax us a copy with the error corrected."

Other than that, no dice.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:57 pm

I've had something like 15 inquiries on Experian in the last twelve months and was approved. And I'm probably in a more precarious financial position than most people (I'm not going to delve into my personal life here).

Legitimately, this is the first time I've heard of anyone being denied for this Amex offer that didn't have a returned payment (there were two people I read about who were denied for that reason). I'm sincerely surprised since it seemed like Amex was just letting almost everyone get the card.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Phantom707
I've had something like 15 inquiries on Experian in the last twelve months and was approved. And I'm probably in a more precarious financial position than most people (I'm not going to delve into my personal life here).

Legitimately, this is the first time I've heard of anyone being denied for this Amex offer that didn't have a returned payment (there were two people I read about who were denied for that reason). I'm sincerely surprised since it seemed like Amex was just letting almost everyone get the card.
I have an app pending right now for the plat card with 100k offer. I called in and applied. They went through all the questions and then said the app needed further review and that I could check back online in 1-2 hours for the result. Several hours later the app is still showing as pending. I have 7 new accounts this year, including the amex spg business card this past month. Four of them are over eight months old. I'm hoping this works out, but I am getting a bit worried that I have not got an approval yet.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Amex is clamping down clearly. I switched from a Personal Plat to a Biz plat and they pulled the bureau about 3 weeks after approving me. They reduced the limit to 1500. kinda useless for a plat card. The credit agent said the ratios of credit vs income are within limits, I have never missed a payment. But the 7 hard pulls on my Equifax is an other matter. We are working to give them the information they have requested to have the original limits reinstated. 4 of the hits were churning, One was a lease, 2 were from insurance companies when changes of coverage were made lowering our rates by 50% by switching providers. The amex person says anything more than 4 hard hits on your report drops the score.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by yul36
Amex is clamping down clearly.... The amex person says anything more than 4 hard hits on your report drops the score.
Do I understand correctly that your experience is with American Express Canada?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by mia
Do I understand correctly that your experience is with American Express Canada?
Yes, I should have been more specific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.