Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Rescinded] MR transfer to DL annual limit: 250,000 points per account.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The read the official American Express announcement click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold

Got a call today from the Membership Rewards department letting me know that starting in 2015, transfers from MR to Delta will be limited to 250,000 points per Skymiles number per calendar year.

I've transferred millions of points to Delta in the last year or two for numerous business class flights so this will certainly change how we fly.

The MR department said I was a "high value client" so they were calling me personally to tell me about this change. I guess having 8 figures worth of MR points gets you a personal call.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
ATTN: moderators

Consider changing the title to "Eff 2015" rather than "in 2015" as the current one makes it seem as though transfers are capped at 250,000 for the year. Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:53 pm

This has a significant impact on our travel, too. One of our trips to Europe each year is on miles. The past few years, tickets in Business have been approx 200k miles each, so 400k MR points are needed for Mrs. AB and me.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Finding more ways to make Skymiles less useful.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Avis President's Club
I'm very surprised atthe lack of outrage on this Amex board. A few beefs directed at Amex over on the pertinent DL post but not that many up in arms. I'm an Amex Cent and enjoyed flying DL TATL several times a year. Now 250k cap won't even permit wife/two kids and I in Economy in late June/early July. And this news comes less than six weeks after being billed for annual membership. Is there any good news in pipeline for Cents/Plats? For last three years, it's all substraction with Amex. Death spiral by a thousand cuts!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jjbri
Is there any good news in pipeline for Cents/Plats? For last three years, it's all substraction with Amex. Death spiral by a thousand cuts!
The centurion lounges are nice.

On a more on-topic note, can you just transfer a large amount before the end of the year to keep this from being a problem as soon?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Lack of outrage likely due to relative low value of DL miles compared to other Amex partners. Also, we're exhausted with all the cuts to the Plat amex. Went from being able to transfer to WN, US, CO, NW, DL to only DL. Went from CO, AA, US, DL lounge access with guests to DL only with no guests. I do know people that transferred and used well over 250k DL miles this year though...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:56 pm

Membership Rewards transfer to Delta limited to 250,000 per DL account in 2015.

It seems that this change will likely drive people to other products like Delta Amex Reserve.

On a negative note this also makes it seem like transfer bonuses or even MQM kickers for transfers to Delta are very unlikely in the future.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jandersinc
... limited to 250,000 points per Skymiles number per calendar year. ...
Originally Posted by AtlanticBeach
...tickets in Business have been approx 200k miles each, so 400k MR points are needed for Mrs. AB and me.
If the rule is as stated, you could transfer 200,000 to your own SkyMiles account and 200,000 to your wife's SkyMiles account.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
That was my understanding after the phone call. You can transfer 250,000 to your account, 250k to your spouses, 250k to each kid, etc. Right now I transfer hundreds of thousands to my account and book all tickets through my account. Starting 2015, now you'll have to have multiple accounts to just book multiple tickets and have them linked to your MR account. Multiple trips per year are now impossible with MR points due to the 250k per person per year cap. It'll make Delta marginally useful for one trip per year starting 2015.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:54 pm

This will certainly impact my travel bookings as well. Both domestic and international. One can only hope that this means more award availability, and at lower levels... Otherwise, this is another huge devaluation...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:08 pm

You have many routes you can not even fly for 250,000 sky pesos in biz elite
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
The 250K to different DL family accounts is a farce. If you're an elite, it's stupid having to deal with separate bookings for each family member from their own non-elite account. The change fees would be ridiculous for a family of four when only one has Plat status. Not to mention any other potential fees that an elite would normally have waived, as well as perks associated.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Father-of-3
It seems that this change will likely drive people to other products like Delta Amex Reserve.
I imagine this is one of the motivations for the policy. Delta wants customers to commit to earning SkyMiles rather than having flexible points which can be redeemed on competitor's flights. It will be interesting to see if UA introduces a parallel restriction on transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:42 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by jandersinc
That was my understanding after the phone call. You can transfer 250,000 to your account, 250k to your spouses, 250k to each kid, etc. Right now I transfer hundreds of thousands to my account and book all tickets through my account. Starting 2015, now you'll have to have multiple accounts to just book multiple tickets and have them linked to your MR account. Multiple trips per year are now impossible with MR points due to the 250k per person per year cap. It'll make Delta marginally useful for one trip per year starting 2015.
The restriction is also per MR account. See first post here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ationship.html
So this won't work, unless you have multiple MR accounts too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.