Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does initial spend bonus post?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

When does initial spend bonus post?

Can anyone confirm when the initial spend bonus should post to my MR account? The threshold posted today on the Premier Rewards Gold card. I tried chatting with an AmEx rep to ask this question. He said it should post in 2 statements; however, I thought I read somewhere (and if course I can't find it) that the initial spend bonus might post sooner. On my Delta Gold card, the bonus posted within 5 days of the threshold spend posting.

Related question: how long does it take for MR points to transfer to an airline?

I've tried searching the forum for these questions, but I can't find a recent answer. Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum, AMEX DL Platinum, Nexus, TSA PreCheck
I've usually gotten the bonus within 3-5 days of reaching the threshold.

Points for actual spend are usually on the 1-2 statement delay.

Airline transfers are usually instant, but I think it says somewhere "may take 24 hours" just to cover themselves. I've always gotten them instantly.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express (USA) is not consistent about posting new account bonuses. Some bonuses do post within a day or two of achieving the spending target, but if it does not post then it may take a couple of billing cycles.

Membership Rewards base points earned by spending are posted at the end of the statement cycle following the cycle in which they are earned, provided the statement balance is paid in full.

The transfer time to airlines depends on the carrier. See the Wikipost at the top of this thread for details:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...fer-times.html
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
Originally Posted by mia
Membership Rewards base points earned by spending are posted at the end of the statement cycle following the cycle in which they are earned, provided the statement balance is paid in full.
This is only for USA?

I know it's the case with my Swiss cards (I just have the option to see my MR balance online and it change at every new statements).

On my IDC card, I case use my MR points as soon as I earn them. Account opened 2 weeks ago, my 30k after my first purchase posted at same moment as transaction posted online and I was able to transfer those points (and the transfer or MR i did from Switzerland to my IDC) directly to my ba account.

They told me it would be a 5-10 days delay, but everything was done in less than 3 days.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alelex
This is only for USA?
It may be the same in some other countries, but I was writing specifically about USA issued cards.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:32 am

How to get Amex to release pending MR points?

I've paid the AF on my plat and the balance to zero, and when I call Membership Rewards they give me some spiel how they can't release bonus points, same for when I try via online chat.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
Anyone have experience with this?
I simply called and they said sure thing! But this was over a year ago. Perhaps things are different now. How long have you had the card?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:43 pm

I just did this a few months ago and didn't have any problems. I paid my balance in full, waited a day or two and then called Amex Membership Rewards and they released the points. This was on the Platinum card as well.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:19 am

I was able to accelerate 110K MR points (signup bonus + spend) a week ago. First phone rep was unpleasant and said he couldn't do this. I HUCAed, and the second phone rep was as nice as could be and happy to do this.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:28 am

Amex Delta points hit 3 days after statement was cut

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.