Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report USA personal application bonus results here, beginning 5.1.2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please report the results of USA-issued personal card applications submitted on, or after, May 1, 2014.

Please include:
  1. If and when you previously held the same card,
  2. If your application was automatically approved,
  3. If the approval notice confirmed the bonus,
  4. When the bonus posted,
  5. Any discussion with American Express required to obtain the bonus or denial.

Background:

American Express now includes this language in USA issued personal card applications:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product
The first sentence was introduced in 2013, but the have had language in the second sentence is new in April 2014. A literal reading is that an individual may earn only one new account bonus per card product in a lifetime, but American Express practice frequently deviates from published policy. See this thread for discussion:

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Considerations:

• These terms appear only in personal card applications. No need to report Business or Corporate card application results.
  • Holding a supplementary card (Authorized User) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a bonus if applying for the same card in your own name.
  • When the features of a card change American Express may consider it to be a new product, and you may be eligible for a bonus even if you held the previous version. Sometimes the refreshed card is given a new name, but not always.
  • Holding any version of the personal Platinum charge card which participates in Membership Rewards may disqualify you from earning a bonus for opening any other personal Platinum charge card. Includes co-branded versions offered with: Ameriprise, Fidelity, Goldman Sachs, Mercedes, or Morgan Stanley.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Just approved for Platinum Card. As I mentioned previously I hold SPG cards. Approval page includes the 40K MR bonus.

Think I'm good to go or will AMEX give me the card but rescind the 40K of MR?
Old May 1, 2014, 3:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rtr15
Approval page includes the 40K MR bonus.

Think I'm good to go or will AMEX give me the card but rescind the 40K of MR?
No reason they would not honor the bonus if you have not previously held a personal Platinum Card.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AOPA
Arrow Testing out the system

Testing out the new system

Applied the MB plat this week. I had regular plat from January 2013 100k deal, currently hold prg in a different mr account.

Getting $200 travel bank for UA, $100 for GE, and wish the 50k will post.

And waiting for a targeted 100k+ Biz offer.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:02 am
mia

Everyday Free

5.01.2014 Applied. Instant approval
5.06.2014 Card received. Activated. $1,000 spent.
5.11.2014 10,000 bonus points posted: AmexEveryDay $1K/10K MR

At time of application I had four open USA-issued American Express cards. American Express did "identify" me as an existing cardholder, my Member Since date is the same as on my other cards.

The bonus points never appeared in the Pending category.
Old May 12, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
mia - does that mean you now have five USA issued AMEX personal credit card products vs the previously thought limit of four?
Old May 12, 2014, 12:58 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jalm1
mia - does that mean you now have five USA issued AMEX personal credit card products vs the previously thought limit of four?
No. I have:

3 personal credit cards
1 business credit card
1 business charge card
Old May 14, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AOPA
Wink 50k pending

Finished spending the 3k on the mb plat over the weekend. Now I see the airline reimbursement AND 50,000 points pending in my account.

I did create a new login for this card, and the mr account associated with the reg plat was closed awhile back.

Again, I have already had the regular plat canceled over 1 year ago, and applied AFTER May 1st!

Anyone have a =>100k business offer that I can use?

Originally Posted by teddy25
Testing out the new system

Applied the MB plat this week. I had regular plat from January 2013 100k deal, currently hold prg in a different mr account.

Getting $200 travel bank for UA, $100 for GE, and wish the 50k will post.

And waiting for a targeted 100k+ Biz offer.

Last edited by teddy25; May 14, 2014 at 7:57 am
Old May 15, 2014, 2:34 pm

Finished spending the 3k on the mb plat over the weekend. Now I see the airline reimbursement AND 50,000 points pending in my account.

I did create a new login for this card, and the mr account associated with the reg plat was closed awhile back.

Again, I have already had the regular plat canceled over 1 year ago, and applied AFTER May 1st!

Well that's encouraging. Perhaps the one-per-lifetime limit may be a YMMV situation. You may be approved, but AMEX reserves the right to say "No card for you. NEXT!"
Old May 19, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)

Unfortunately I fear this proves nothing. AMEX has always treated the MB and regular Plats as seperate products I believe. Mrs User Name and I have each churned both card types repeatedly over the last few years, and the 12 month rule would have prevented some of the bonuses we received had AMEX treated them as the same product type.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:36 am

Current Blue Cash Everyday and Everday Preferred cardholder. Applied for Platinum.

Application didn't show 40k bonus, so I applied in Incognito mode. Went through fine, instant approval, screen showed 40k.

Spent 3k first month and received my bonus instantly, didn't even go pending and wait until the end of the cycle.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by ksong12
Current Blue Cash Everyday and Everday Preferred cardholder. Applied for Platinum.

Application didn't show 40k bonus, so I applied in Incognito mode. Went through fine, instant approval, screen showed 40k.

Spent 3k first month and received my bonus instantly, didn't even go pending and wait until the end of the cycle.
For this data point to be useful to the community it needs to know if you've had an AMEX Platinum card before and, if so, if you'd canceled it within one year of applying for this one.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:56 am

Good point. I have not ever had a Platinum card before, however, I have read reports of the rule being the same product within a year, or any AmEx within 90 days - this was within 30 days of being approved for Everyday Preferred.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
For this data point to be useful to the community it needs to know if you've had an AMEX Platinum card before and, if so, if you'd canceled it within one year of applying for this one.
I closed my SPG last August. Reapplied end of April. My first statement just posted yesterday, with my one purchase already paid. The website shows: Starpoints earned YTD with your card 70.

I wonder if it's worthwhile contacting AMEX, or if this is already a lost cause?
Old May 26, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL
Had got a 50k Delta Gold in Sep '13, just got the Delta Platinum with 45k+15k MQM offer, initial bonus posted 2-3days after meeting spend.
Old May 28, 2014, 6:39 pm

Second week of May. Snail mail offer for personal PRG, 50K MR points after 1k spend in 3 months targeted RSVP code offer. No "have had" language on the offer. So this is not the same as applying for the newer offers with the "have had" language.

Have had the card multiple times in the past. Closed last PRG card 12 months ago.

Applied on AMEX website on the page where you type in your RSVP offer code. Application was not instant approval. It showed as processing the first day and switched to approved about 24 hours later. Approval notice did not confirm the bonus. I didn't call about the bonus either. Figured it was just 1k so surprise me.

Spent 1k. Paid as soon as charges posted. Three days later 50K points show as pending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.