Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do transactions offset by statement credits count towards minimum spend or MR points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do transactions offset by statement credits count towards minimum spend or MR points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I just got the AMEX business platinum card and I was wondering if purchases that I make that qualify for statement credits/reimbursements (i.e. airline purchase, global entry, SYNC offers) will still count towards my minimum spend requirement and accrue MR points.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
I believe any credits will deduct from your total spend, which means they will not count towards total spend.

So if you need to spend $10,000 for the bonus, but that spend includes $200 airline reimbursement and $100 GE credit, you'll have only spent $9,700 and won't get the bonus.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jandersinc
I believe any credits will deduct from your total spend, which means they will not count towards total spend.

So if you need to spend $10,000 for the bonus, but that spend includes $200 airline reimbursement and $100 GE credit, you'll have only spent $9,700 and won't get the bonus.
My experience has been the opposite. On my first Amex Plat statement the total charges were $649, and there were $300 in credits (DL and GE reimbursements), final balance due was $349. Yet, I got 649 MR.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
My experience has been the opposite. On my first Amex Plat statement the total charges were $649, and there were $300 in credits (DL and GE reimbursements), final balance due was $349. Yet, I got 649 MR.
This is correct - statement credits should not reduce your tracked spend (for the purpose of spend bonus thresholds) nor should they deduct points, the way that normal merchant refunds would do. For points redemptions that trigger Statement credits, those credits are classified specifically by Amex not to deduct points or reduce tracked bonus spend.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Another way to look at it is that a statement credit is like a payment, not a return.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:18 am
Suspended

Anyone know if this still holds true? If I buy $200 worth of SW GC's on AMEX Plat, and they are credited back, does that $200 still count towards min spend threshold?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Anyone know if this still holds true? If I buy $200 worth of SW GC's on AMEX Plat, and they are credited back, does that $200 still count towards min spend threshold?
I hope it is. I guess I'll find out soon myself.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ztstephens
I hope it is. I guess I'll find out soon myself.
It's still true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.