Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I cancel AMEX Personal Platinum card 2 months in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

I received a targeted 100k MR pts offer if I spend 3k in 3months. If I spend it all in the first billing cycle and see the points posted in the second month and then transfer them all to a partnering airline, if I cancel the card will I pay a pro-rated annual fee (only pay for 2 months)?

Also, could I use the $200 airline credit in the month or two I have it open before canceling?

Or does the card need to be open for at least a year?

Thanks in advance guys! I've learned so much from this site.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by pitching101
i received a targeted 100k mr pts offer if i spend 3k in 3months. If i spend it all in the first billing cycle and see the points posted in the second month and then transfer them all to a partnering airline, if i cancel the card will i pay a pro-rated annual fee (only pay for 2 months)?

Also, could i use the $200 airline credit in the month or two i have it open before canceling?

Or does the card need to be open for at least a year?

Thanks in advance guys! I've learned so much from this site.
yes, yes, no.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:43 pm

Amex is willing or was in the past willing to pro rate the annual fee of the platinum card at any time
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:44 am

Thanks guys. I'll give the card a shot and see if any of the perks seem worth it to me.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Let me see, you're going to:

Take the bonus points, then immediately transfer them out of MR into an airline account. And take the $200 airline credit. Then cancel the card and expect a prorated refund.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this? No wonder AMEX has finally gotten wise and now limits the sign up bonus to one card per lifetime.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Let me see, you're going to:

Take the bonus points, then immediately transfer them out of MR into an airline account. And take the $200 airline credit. Then cancel the card and expect a prorated refund.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this? No wonder AMEX has finally gotten wise and now limits the sign up bonus to one card per lifetime.
I agree its pretty cheap of the OP, 100k MR's+$200 SC (x2 if held until next year)+lounge access is easily worth $450 AF...and Amex may just close the OP's other cards and blacklist him
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:29 am

I thought this was "the game" of churning cards or signing up for them for the signing bonus and then canceling before the annual fee. And ignoring AMEX is now one bonus per card. Is there really a difference between three months in and one year prior to the fee renewal?

BTW mine is not a snarky question, generally curious.

Last edited by cbadklap; Apr 23, 2014 at 12:50 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cbadklap
...Is there really a difference between three months in and one year prior to the fee renewal?
There is if cancelling sooner generates a refund of a larger portion the first year's annual fee.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:59 am

I thought this was "the game" of churning cards or signing up for them for the signing bonus and then canceling before the annual fee. And ignoring AMEX is now one bonus per card. Is there really a difference between three months in and one year prior to the fee renewal?

BTW mine is not a snarky question, generally curious.
I haven't an answer but I do know it's a great way to get blacklisted with AMEX. Their blacklist memory is decades long.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:17 am

So when would be a good time to cancel? I'll be in the same boat a year from now.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
So when would be a good time to cancel?.
Keep the card until the renewal annual fee posts. Then, contact American Express for a retention offer and decide whether to accept the offer and renew or cancel.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Keep the card until the renewal annual fee posts. Then, contact American Express for a retention offer and decide whether to accept the offer and renew or cancel.
Good to know. I'll probably do that then. Will be able to collect two $200 airline credits over my first year so really only $50 to hold the card a full year.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by mia
Interesting, I thought it was best to call a month out. Nice to know they will reimburse if you want out. My only issue is that from what I've read the retention are never as good as the initial sign up offer. Leaving me to churn cards, hard to justify keeping a card when one can rotate in and out of cards. AMEX has many cards and lets you have multiple cards, so it's not like they discourage my "churning". One bonus, per member, per lifetime and that would be that.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:09 pm

I changed my mind and will probably cancel this card after redeeming my $200 airline credit (within first 2 months of having the card). What is the best other AMEX card to open (bonus points wise) that I can link up with my AMEX platinum so that I won't lose my points earned so far?

This card just doesn't seem worth it to me since I plan on getting the Citi AA Exec card next with the lounge access
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:17 pm

I assume the new "everyday" card? What about the premier rewards gold card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.