Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by beep88
Loblaws (and associated brands) is the only major grocery chain that do not accept AMEX.
Metro and Sobeys accept AMEX. The list of grocery stores is quite long actually, including discount chains (of Sobeys and Metro). Plus there is also Costco.

Loblaw has PC Financial so they are very Mastercard lovin'. They don't even take Visa at No Frills.

Last edited by mia; Sep 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm Reason: Repair formatting
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:49 pm
alc

Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Loblaw has PC Financial so they are very Mastercard lovin'. They don't even take Visa at No Frills.
But that doesn't stop us from getting a PC giftcard using our VISA card and then use the Giftcard at No Frills
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:47 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
Newbie elite, you misunderstood PP Select. It is free unliimited visits for the cardholder to PP lounges and $27/visit for additional guests. The select limitation is that there is no access to United lounges through PP. The Canadian card does give access to Plaza Premium lounges with guests where the US card doesn't.

I thought that the CX status was the defining difference between the US and CAN cards. Now it just seems to be the annual fee difference.
For the Canadian, our version of Priority Pass is much better than the US one. Unlimited visits for the holder and one guest, then $27/visit for each addtional guest - to all lounges. Also still includes United lounges - it's only US cardholders who were excluded.

Canadian AMEX Plat also gives access to Plaza Premium, as BackSlash3 describes above, separate from PP.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I just Googled Plaza Premium and damn, I can see an incentive to keep the Canadian Plat. Just a little one though haha.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:28 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Plus there is also Costco
Has any one heard anything about the Amex/Costco relationship going sour? Amex does not offer the True Earnings Costco card anymore and rumblings of them going with Capital One here in Canada
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Report of a visit to the Las Vegas Centurion Lounge moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ounge-las.html
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by newbie elite
Has any one heard anything about the Amex/Costco relationship going sour? Amex does not offer the True Earnings Costco card anymore and rumblings of them going with Capital One here in Canada
Interesting I see this at the top of my Amex home page after login:

Important announcement
Add a Supplementary TrueEarningsTM Card for no annual fee. Request a Card now.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by newbie elite
Big thread on RFD with rumors/inside news that Costco will stop taking AMEX in Oct or Dec, and come out with CapitalOne MC instead

Look for announcement in next few days/weeks
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Big thread on RFD with rumors/inside news that Costco will stop taking AMEX in Oct or Dec, and come out with CapitalOne MC instead

Is the axe falling down on AMEX's neck?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:18 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by jerryhung

i avoided linking that thread since there is not one iota of fact in 30+ pages But where there is smoke...

Originally Posted by prmetime
Interesting I see this at the top of my Amex home page after login:

Important announcement
Add a Supplementary TrueEarningsTM Card for no annual fee. Request a Card now.
Interesting, the card itself has disappeared from their All Cards listing, seems to have been replaced with the new Simply Cash card.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:22 am

More rumors on CapitalOne and Costco:

http://www.greedyrates.ca/blog/costc...d-partnership/

Is there a reason why Costco dropped AMEX as a card sponsor?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:21 pm
alc

Originally Posted by flipstah
Is there a reason why Costco dropped AMEX as a card sponsor?
one reason will be they get more incentive from Capital One than AMEX, for example, charge less on the processing fee.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:02 pm

I am quite disappointed with Canadian Amex lately:

(a) First with the discontinuation of the CX MPC Gold for the Platinum card without a replacement for it;

(b) Fewer airport lounges (AA/US and no guest for DL);

(c) Superior Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege cards from 2 Canadian banks that overwhelm the Amex Aeroplat;
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I am quite disappointed with Canadian Amex lately:

(a) First with the discontinuation of the CX MPC Gold for the Platinum card without a replacement for it;

(b) Fewer airport lounges (AA/US and no guest for DL);

(c) Superior Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege cards from 2 Canadian banks that overwhelm the Amex Aeroplat;
To be fair Aeroplan redemption sucks to begin with, so that doesn't really count...
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I signed up for the Amex Plat six months ago, and today I finally have the Priority Pass card in hand. The add-on benefits are stingy and hard to get. The Accor hotel card you can sign up for online, but if you cannot "just pick up the phone", they make it hard to get the Priority Pass, and I agree with the above posts that the dropping of the OneWorld status diminishes the value. I'm giving it a fair chance but it's a solid "could do better" right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.