Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX AVIOS 50% CANADA [Where is it?]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
"I talked to Amex" does not make the statement in Rewards Canada any more authoritative - we simply have no clue!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
"I talked to Amex" does not make the statement in Rewards Canada any more authoritative - we simply have no clue!
I'm sure Patrick can speak for himself here but I'm fairly sure his contacts at AMEX are pretty solid. I mean AMEX could always change their intentions and hold a transfer promo... but it seems unlikely.

If there was a promo I'd assume it'd be sometime during the fall/winter months.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by Youponder
Not sure who told you that (and I highly doubt csrs are given that info) but I trust this source a bit more which basically says nothing:

http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2014/06...-amex.html?m=1

Also, you shouldn't base your strategy around the annual fee as you can always obtain another MR card which would allow you to keep your points even if you cancel one.
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I'm sure Patrick can speak for himself here but I'm fairly sure his contacts at AMEX are pretty solid. I mean AMEX could always change their intentions and hold a transfer promo... but it seems unlikely.

If there was a promo I'd assume it'd be sometime during the fall/winter months.
[Redacted] its BA issuing Avios bonus transfer. I called in to BA Avios department a couple months ago, connected to supervisor and had her verbatim confirm that THEY DO 1 MIN PER YEAR, and its going to be around christmas time (oct-dec), and sometime june-aug is a possibility... seriously this is avios, they are literally desperate to get customers from canada and break monopoly of aeroplan

also personal note, Aeroplan isnt worth much to the banks, i remember getting told i was good for 25k AP for opening td chequing acc, missed the window to do so and walked into branch. branch manager told me basically 25k AP comes to about $75 or so ($0.003, which is 1/3 of a single penny lol), but he'd be willing to extend $100 credit to my chequing... and i walked away $100 richer even tho ive never paid for any of my accounts with them

Last edited by mia; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:29 am Reason: Remove rude sentence
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by microcosm
...its BA issuing Avios bonus transfer. I called in to BA Avios department a couple months ago, connected to supervisor and had her verbatim confirm that THEY DO 1 MIN PER YEAR, and its going to be around christmas time (oct-dec), and sometime june-aug is a possibility... seriously this is avios, they are literally desperate to get customers from canada and break monopoly of aeroplan
Sounds like the BA agent you've been talking to was referring to RBC Avion. If that's the case, they are bang-on. They have a 50% promo just about every spring and winter (last one just ended June 30th).

Last edited by mia; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:29 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:16 pm
alc

.....branch manager told me basically 25k AP comes to about $75 or so ($0.003, which is 1/3 of a single penny lol), but he'd be willing to extend $100 credit to my chequing... and i walked away $100 richer even tho ive never paid for any of my accounts with them
I think the manager is stating how they TD is paying for these points... as most of us value 1 AP to 1 cent, some value more, but never heard anyone value less than 1 cent that I recall. So, in my book 25K is $250 and hence getting only $100 is a lost.

Last edited by mia; Jul 3, 2014 at 3:30 am Reason: Remove reference to redacted content.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by alc
I think the manager is stating how they TD is paying for these points... as most of us value 1 AP to 1 cent, some value more, but never heard anyone value less than 1 cent that I recall. So, in my book 25K is $250 and hence getting only $100 is a lost.
Yea i agree, thats what i was referencing as well, how much TD values these points. For most people AP is worth 1-3c depending on how they use it, and whether their lifestyle demands luxury. Now that said, $100 for a promotion i was never really qualified for (Requirement was new customers only but I was able to charm my way past that), and now reading some of the posts, cant remember on RFD or here about people who did presumably qualify for the 25k AP, and being told these days now that they in fact will not get it, makes me very content and satisfied.

Also maybe im wrong but I see Avios as one of the greatest programs ever as they dont charge YQ on North America & South America, and with short distance redemptions you would normally be paying alot more if it were with other FFP, its a great value. Caribbean countries which are very close cluster, YYZ -> major and popular cities like NYC are very astounding redemptions for only 4.5k one way, which instead of trying to work with headache of AP mini-rtw could be really useful.

My truest intentions (il come clean haha) was to self refer from gold to plat, so id get 60k + 10k for that sign up, and 25k for my original gold sign up + like 10k MR from spending on my amex x 1.5 (50% promo) = 158k Avios.. and valuing avios at 2cents = $3,160 at the cost of what... 2 credit pulls, $0 gold FYF + $300 plat ($700 annual fee - $400 travel credit) is just ridiculously good (and i also i have 25k avios from the rbc 15k transfer + some spending 50% transfer)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:04 am

Also, you shouldn't base your strategy around the annual fee as you can always obtain another MR card which would allow you to keep your points even if you cancel one.
I believe you're suggesting the Platinum or Gold Biz but on the off chance you are not, I'd like to know if there are other options now that the Green card has disappeared. For example, is it possible to open a second Personal Gold MR before cancelling the first one, have points transferred to second and then close first one? Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by prmetime
I believe you're suggesting the Platinum or Gold Biz but on the off chance you are not, I'd like to know if there are other options now that the Green card has disappeared. For example, is it possible to open a second Personal Gold MR before cancelling the first one, have points transferred to second and then close first one? Thanks.
Officially, Amex will say you cannot have more than one of the same card - but it is definitely possible if you apply ~6 months after the last one. Otherwise, their system will reject it as a 'duplicate application.' In other words, they reject it based on that its a dupe application not that you already have an active card.

For Amex business cards, you can officially have more than one so long as it's for a separate business - they will want a different name (which could be your personal name). This is no longer as good as it once was as the first year is not free anymore.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Not sure who told you that (and I highly doubt csrs are given that info) but I trust this source a bit more which basically says nothing:

http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2014/06...-amex.html?m=1

Seems true to me. I am not waiting for the promo anymore.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:27 am

Officially, Amex will say you cannot have more than one of the same card - but it is definitely possible if you apply ~6 months after the last one. Otherwise, their system will reject it as a 'duplicate application.' In other words, they reject it based on that its a dupe application not that you already have an active card.

For Amex business cards, you can officially have more than one so long as it's for a separate business - they will want a different name (which could be your personal name). This is no longer as good as it once was as the first year is not free anymore.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:13 am

Ive never had a business card (primarily because i dont operate one) but im pretty sure ive read posts from alot of people who dont have businesses as well.. so my question is how does one get a biz card with say someone like Amex/TD/CIBC... any tips on how to prepare to answer the questions they might ask?

Im 'relatively' new to churning, and if i can get some biz cards to add to the fun.. oh god
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:41 am
alc

Also maybe im wrong but I see Avios as one of the greatest programs ever as they dont charge YQ on North America & South America, and with short distance redemptions you would normally be paying alot more if it were with other FFP, its a great value. Caribbean countries which are very close cluster, YYZ -> major and popular cities like NYC are very astounding redemptions for only 4.5k one way, which instead of trying to work with headache of AP mini-rtw could be really useful.
I think another key for AVIOS is not to fly BA... just like now Aeroplan do not fly AC (and a few others too) to avoid the high YQ
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:21 am

Ive never had a business card (primarily because i dont operate one) but im pretty sure ive read posts from alot of people who dont have businesses as well.. so my question is how does one get a biz card with say someone like Amex/TD/CIBC... any tips on how to prepare to answer the questions they might ask?

Im 'relatively' new to churning, and if i can get some biz cards to add to the fun.. oh god
Well, a business credit card is really just a branding thing. You are still personally fully responsible for the spend on it. From a credit standpoint it's identical to a personal card. So, although on the application they will ask some questions about your business (number of employees, years in business etc), to my knowledge their decision is not based on this.

They will consider your credit report, history with Amex and personal/household income. Not your business info. You can obtain a business card if you intend to start a business or even if you just sell items on eBay. You don't need to incorporate, you can simply operate under your own name as a sole proprietorship. Lots of info about this on the US blogs.

This rule is not 100%. For the Amex corporate Platinum cards they will want to see financial statements. Same if you want a high limit with RBC or TD. However, for the Amex business gold you should be fine.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by alc
I think another key for AVIOS is not to fly BA... just like now Aeroplan do not fly AC (and a few others too) to avoid the high YQ
That's right. There are many good reviews out there on the Avios program and the key is to fly direct as BA charges separately for each leg and avoid airlines with high fuel surcharges such as BA themselves.

In North America, any route AA flies direct is usually very good value. The value increases the higher the price of the ticket. BA has no last-minute fees and very reasonable change fees.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:58 am

Any news on this?

Still waiting....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.