Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2014?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2014?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
I had to call CS about an AU this morning, and just for shitzengiggles, I asked if there was an invite on file yet. While the answer was still 'no', I did get transferred to a Centurion agent that, after a couple rounds of questioning, told me that invites would be going out 'soon', but like always "your interest has been noted, and you will receive an invite automatically if you qualify." I played dumb and asked what the qualifications were, and she gave me the typical "well we don't publish those" but "looking at your account, you do have excellent history with us." So take what you want from that. I don't know how much of that to buy or sell, still the same predictably vague everything, but possibly an indication of invites going out soon.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by blakepilot
I did get transferred to a Centurion agent that, after a couple rounds of questioning, told me that invites would be going out 'soon'.
Uh huh... And when we called a couple weeks ago to ask what benefits they were going to add, since they been removing so many lately, they said "Oh, we plan on announcing the new benefits 'soon'".

I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm sure I've posted this somewhere on here before, and this is probably not the thread for it, but I really don't see the point of that card.

I was invited in 2004 or 2005. The benefits were not materially higher (IMO) than Platinum so I declined. Since then, benefits have gone down and the price up. Most of the UK benefits seem incongruous for someone with the type of spend that the Centurion card typically attracts. For example, I spend probably 120 nights a year in nice hotels. What would I do with a Hilton card? In the last three years I've stayed in a Hilton twice, and both times because it was an airport hotel that was convenient.

Most of the other stuff is just window dressing. The whole concierge thing is just too much as well. I'm sure that plenty of people have benefited from hard-to-get Springsteen tickets, or had some flunky put rose petals on a hotel bed or something similarly tacky, but I just don't need or want that.

I remember when I was first invited to Platinum in the early 90s, when it was something special. I think the whole programme has gone a bit downhill since then.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm sure I've posted this somewhere on here before, and this is probably not the thread for it, but I really don't see the point of that card.
Yes, it has been discussed ad nausea in this forum, and yes I agree with your conclusion.

However, it turns out that it's often difficult to have a rational, logical discussion about the the value of the card in these forums as those who do hold the card tend to get quite defensive when the wisdom of their choice is questioned by those who don't carry the card.

Regards
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by scubadu
Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Yes, it has been discussed ad nausea in this forum, and yes I agree with your conclusion.

However, it turns out that it's often difficult to have a rational, logical discussion about the the value of the card in these forums as those who do hold the card tend to get quite defensive when the wisdom of their choice is questioned by those who don't carry the card.

Regards
Reminds me of "Burberry Polo shirts". They are grossly overpriced ( $150.00 ) and the quality is similar or worse than iZods that sell for less than $20.00. (And made in Bangladesh)

But every schmuck wants a Burberry for the "check" pattern in the collar

If an individual has to call Amex to even consider him/her for an invitation, then that individual may not be as ready as he/she thinks...

But this is one man's opinion

Last edited by lacuadra; Feb 2, 2014 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:33 pm

Qualification for Centurion Card

I am thinking of applying for the Centurion Card and I have called AMEX to monitor my charge card spending. Spending $500000 is a bit difficult for me. I wonder if it is OK to add 3 additional card holders who can contribute by spending $100000-150000 a year. Will spending on their cards be counted towards the spending requirement? Thanks a lot for your sharing your knowledge.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Have you been invited to apply? Just curious.

Last edited by Interpol; Feb 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by tylergupku
I am thinking of applying for the Centurion Card and I have called AMEX to monitor my charge card spending. Spending $500000 is a bit difficult for me. I wonder if it is OK to add 3 additional card holders who can contribute by spending $100000-150000 a year. Will spending on their cards be counted towards the spending requirement? Thanks a lot for your sharing your knowledge.
with so much spending there seems to be better cards you could spend on. I mean, instead of PAYING $4500 to join you could MAKE $10,000 on 2% cash back cards.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
I think that these days, it depends largely on the type of spending you do. We have a Canadian Centurion (it took about 4 separate invitations from Amex over the course of 4 years to get us to finally bite the bullet...) with a lot of business purchase, but also a fair number of dining/entertainment/"luxury" purchases on it. Some years we've put upwards of 700K on it, but other years only around 150K. In the US, we keep an Amex Gold Premier Rewards, and put on about 400K a year, strictly business expenses from suppliers. No Cent invite as of yet.

Not a direct answer to your question, but just trying to say that spending amount might not be the only factor. Rather, they look at where the spending is taking place. I'm presuming the kind of spending you're talking about is largely business-related.

Besides, you probably don't want the Centurion card anyway. Massive reduction in benefits over the past couple months. Sometimes I'm not even sure why I got it, to be honest.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by tingalex
I think that these days, it depends largely on the type of spending you do. We have a Canadian Centurion (it took about 4 separate invitations from Amex over the course of 4 years to get us to finally bite the bullet...) with a lot of business purchase, but also a fair number of dining/entertainment/"luxury" purchases on it. Some years we've put upwards of 700K on it, but other years only around 150K. In the US, we keep an Amex Gold Premier Rewards, and put on about 400K a year, strictly business expenses from suppliers. No Cent invite as of yet.

Not a direct answer to your question, but just trying to say that spending amount might not be the only factor. Rather, they look at where the spending is taking place. I'm presuming the kind of spending you're talking about is largely business-related.

Besides, you probably don't want the Centurion card anyway. Massive reduction in benefits over the past couple months. Sometimes I'm not even sure why I got it, to be honest.
Thank you for your kind reply. I have always wanted to have the Centurion Card just for the sake of the card. The 100K-200K spending on my card will mostly be on flight tickets while the rest of the spending on the 3 additional cards will be mostly on luxury products, e.g., Hermes and Saks.

I really hope to receive at least an invitation then I will think more serious about whether I really want to get it.

I am also curious about the benefits of the card. Can you guys please tell a few real stories? For people who do not travel a lot, what are the major benefits of the card?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
I am also curious about the benefits of the card. Can you guys please tell a few real stories? For people who do not travel a lot, what are the major benefits of the card?

Sorry, I just can't resist this time...

All of your answers are here
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
For people who do not travel a lot, what are the major benefits of the card?
For those who don't travel a lot, I really can't think of any benefits at all. In most establishments, people don't even recognize the card; in upscale establishments in big cities like NYC, they're seen rather frequently and hence not a big deal. All the bullsh*t about personal shopping / concierge / etc. is largely a waste of time IMHO, especially if you're already a big shooter anyway and do all the same things without Amex's help. As has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum, most people who get the card probably just get it for the status; others get it for the travel perks, which might break even or end up being slightly ROI-positive for some who travel extensively and make deliberate use of the card's perks. But the general consensus around here is that $7,500 up front is rarely justifiable in terms of actual value over and above the Platinum card - especially if you don't travel.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Thank you for your kind reply. I have always wanted to have the Centurion Card just for the sake of the card. The 100K-200K spending on my card will mostly be on flight tickets while the rest of the spending on the 3 additional cards will be mostly on luxury products, e.g., Hermes and Saks.
Thanks for your honesty. If you want the card for its recognition then all I can wish you is good luck and a speedy invitation!!

Last edited by mia; Feb 14, 2014 at 6:38 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by kneeoh
Amex Platinum member since 2004. Spent $270k in 2013, heavy user of fine hotels and resorts, amex travel, and concierge. No invite for me yet.
what on earth do you people do for work and how do i get in?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
7 figures of spending each year for the last couple years and no invite lately. That's a mix of spending on a personal platinum card and a gold business card (gold gets the bulk of charges).

If 7 figures each year doesn't trigger an invite I don't know what does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.