Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted PRG offer.... for my dog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

A couple of days ago I got a flyer in the mail for a 50k signup bonus after 1k spend in 3 months for the Premier Rewards Gold card. Also comes with a 15k bonus after 30k annual spend. Trouble is, it's addressed to my dog...

I'm a little weirded out that AMEX got my dog's info. I did add her as an AU on my Chase United MPE in order to get an extra 5k miles, but I have no idea how she got into AMEX's mailing list.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Is this offer all that special to begin with? I like the low minimum spend requirement, the gas/groceries 2x bonus and the 15k threshold bonus, but are there better offers I might pick up later?

2. Assuming I want this deal, is it possible for me to use the RSVP code given that the targeted "person" doesn't actually exist?

3. I also got a 50k offer for the BRG the next day, that was actually targeted to me. Higher min. spend and different category bonuses. Should I get that instead? I'm also considering getting the SPG Business AMEX before the 30k window closes.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 2pter
... I did add her as an AU on my Chase United MPE in order to get an extra 5k miles, but I have no idea how she got into AMEX's mailing list.
Chase reported the card to a credit bureau which created a record.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:14 am

If your dog is anything like mine (loves to eat), then the 2% on groceries would be perfect. But if she has a habit of going wild with food (like my dog), I'd stay away from the charge card and go with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It has 2% on restaurants and she can carry a balance.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I did add her as an AU on my Chase United MPE in order to get an extra 5k miles, but I have no idea how she got into AMEX's mailing list.
Genius. ^
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:40 am

Santos l. Halper!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:21 pm

A couple of days ago I got a flyer in the mail for a 50k signup bonus after 1k spend in 3 months for the Premier Rewards Gold card. Also comes with a 15k bonus after 30k annual spend. Trouble is, it's addressed to my dog...

That's funny. My 2.5 year old toddler got some local coupons addressed to her recently. My wife and I are really not sure how she got targeted.

One silly question, to make someone an AU, don't you have to put their SSN?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
That's funny. My 2.5 year old toddler got some local coupons addressed to her recently. My wife and I are really not sure how she got targeted.

One silly question, to make someone an AU, don't you have to put their SSN?
Nope you don't, however Amex typically does ask for it (at least they did when I added my parents and girlfriend to my Platinum account). The card thus has appeared on their credit reports. However Chase doesn't require SSNs and sometimes the card appears on your report. I'm on my parents account that was opened in the late 80s when I was about only five years old (I was added when I was 18) and it appears on my report but no SSN was provided.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
My dog was pre-approved for an amex card a few years ago. Still not quite sure how that happened.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Originally Posted by StevenH123
My dog was pre-approved for an amex card a few years ago. Still not quite sure how that happened.
Should have applied. Let the dog pay for his own steak if he wants it so bad.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by djrez4
Should have applied. Let the dog pay for his own steak if he wants it so bad.
I considered it but did not know how to go about doing it without a ssn. The lack of ssn is also what puzzled me about the pre-approval. How could they pre-approve without pulling a credit report and how could a credit report exist without a ssn/tin?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Santos l. Halper!
Trainer: "...and next we have Satan's Little Helper"

Bart & Lisa: "Santa's!!!"
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
Nope you don't, however Amex typically does ask for it (at least they did when I added my parents and girlfriend to my Platinum account). The card thus has appeared on their credit reports. However Chase doesn't require SSNs and sometimes the card appears on your report. I'm on my parents account that was opened in the late 80s when I was about only five years old (I was added when I was 18) and it appears on my report but no SSN was provided.
Can you have them take off the AU account off your credit file? I have a few cards showing up on my file where I'm the AU and they are counted towards my total credit line.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Okay, so back to my original questions....

Is it a good offer, and can I use the RSVP code?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:24 am

Is it a good offer ...
Yes, it is a good offer. It's not the best offer, but good nonetheless.

...and can I use the RSVP code?
Did you check with your dog? She might not want you to have her first class seat

But seriously, my guess would be "no".
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:53 am

Is it a good offer, and can I use the RSVP code?

Yep, it's a good offer. I jumped on it last month since the regular bonus was 25K. I only had the card for 3 weeks when it closed and the 50K was deposited the next day.

I don't think you can use the code... but why not ask, if AMEX wants a customer they'll let you use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.