Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline transfers didn't go through?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold, Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Airline transfers didn't go through?

Hi all,

I was trying to transfer my AMEX points to my Delta Skymiles account just now. After pressing "transfer", I got the confirmation as normal. However, miles have not posted in my account and AMEX points were not deducted either. Is this just me or someone else are experiencing same difficulty?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wow, someone willingly transfers valuable MR points to SkyPesos?
Hope you are seeing low mileage Saver Availability on the flights/dates you want.

I've never done a DL transfer, but have done them for many other airline partners.
I suspect that it should have been instantaneous, both the debit and credit and that it didn't go thru.
At least now you have a chance to think again before "wasting" your hard earned MR point on DL.

Welcome to FT!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold, Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks SFO777! I am just few thousands points short for a valuable business class award, so it makes sense to do it
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spacecrafter
Thanks SFO777! I am just few thousands points short for a valuable business class award, so it makes sense to do it
OK, for just a few thousand points, you are forgiven.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Sign out and sign back in on delta. Usually I have to do that for the points to appear.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:53 am

Hey, I understand that converting Amex points to DL may not be the most beneficial way of using the points we earn, but... For example - I am going to close my Amex till June, and I need to move the points. On of the way I consider using them is to have a trip to Canada. Since we are in ATL area, the only direct flights are Delta ones. I quickly checked the prices, and a round trip ticket would be around 500-600 USD; award ticket on Delta site would run about 35,000 +60 USD. Is this a good use of points or there are other options available?

I also checked Aeroplan and Aircanada ticket would run for 15,000 miles, but 175 USD fee on top of that. Plus there is a stop in Toronto.
Not sure that AirCanada deal is better. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance - I would appreciate any advice since I am new to this site!!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexxgr
Hey, I understand that converting Amex points to DL may not be the most beneficial way of using the points we earn, but... For example - I am going to close my Amex till June, and I need to move the points. On of the way I consider using them is to have a trip to Canada. Since we are in ATL area, the only direct flights are Delta ones. I quickly checked the prices, and a round trip ticket would be around 500-600 USD; award ticket on Delta site would run about 35,000 +60 USD. Is this a good use of points or there are other options available?
I also checked Aeroplan and Aircanada ticket would run for 15,000 miles, but 175 USD fee on top of that. Plus there is a stop in Toronto.
Not sure that AirCanada deal is better. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance - I would appreciate any advice since I am new to this site!!
Where is Canada? It's a big country.
And welcome to FT!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:29 am

Montreal
And thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexxgr
Montreal
And thanks!
Yeah, DL is your only nonstop option. The YYZ connection experience is so awful that it would have to take a great deal to get me to go thru that airport. In theory, the lowest RT DL award level would be 25K, but we know how often those are offered up.

With AC Aeroplan miles, you could also fly US via CLT or PHL, in both cases a better connection experience than YYZ.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by spacecrafter
Hi all,

I was trying to transfer my AMEX points to my Delta Skymiles account just now. After pressing "transfer", I got the confirmation as normal. However, miles have not posted in my account and AMEX points were not deducted either. Is this just me or someone else are experiencing same difficulty?

Thanks!
Last year, or two years (can't remember which) I transferred 50K MR to Delta for the 25K MQM promotion. Two days later the miles had not posted. I called Amex and they said the transfer was complete but to a DM number I did not recognize. Long story short I somehow checked a box that said I did not have a DM number and authroizing Delta to open a new account. Took two phone calls to make correct, but I would call Amex and verify the miles were transferred to your Delta account.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nccarguy
...I somehow checked a box that said I did not have a DM number and authroizing Delta to open a new account. .
It sounds as if you may have used "Enroll additional programs" rather than "Link additional programs" when adding the Skymiles account to Membership Rewards.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Kimpton InnerCircle VIP, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond.
Amex was having an issues with their system this week. It took me a number of phone calls to get SPG points transferred after the would pend for 12+ hours and then show up as cancelled. CSR had me call the rewards department, who said they were having system issues with point transfers, so it would have to be done manually via an "inquiry". They called after the points were transferred to confirm and note that they gave me 5k points for the four day delay and numerous phone calls to get it fixed. What does it show under your detailed point summary? Pending? Cancelled?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Probs Transferring AMEX MR to AC Aeroplan

Not sure if this belongs here or in Aeroplan, Mods please feel free to move if you deem it appropriate.

Tried twice yesterday to transfer miles from MR to Aeroplan online from the AMEX MR website. Neither one worked. After executing the transfer, my MR balance went down appropriately, but both times, when I checked a few hours later, the balance was back up to the original amount and nothing hit my Aeroplan account.

Finally, I called AMEX. No problem. The transfer was initiated by the phone agent and the miles hit my Aeroplan account within seconds, while I was still on the phone with the AMEX MR agent. (And he knew that it would be quick, because he said that he would wait on the phone with me until I saw the miles in Aeroplan. So I guess that the 48 hours thing isn't really relevant any more?)

I know that it's not a name mismatch or similar problem, as i have done this same transfer successfully several times in the past and all of the information was saved in the system.

And as a footnote, by the time I got the miles into my Aeroplan account, the award space I wanted was gone, anyway. That's OK, though, I'll use it another time.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 0hw0rd
Amex was having an issues with their system this week. It took me a number of phone calls to get SPG points transferred after the would pend for 12+ hours and then show up as cancelled. CSR had me call the rewards department, who said they were having system issues with point transfers, so it would have to be done manually via an "inquiry". They called after the points were transferred to confirm and note that they gave me 5k points for the four day delay and numerous phone calls to get it fixed. What does it show under your detailed point summary? Pending? Cancelled?
Thanks for your advice. I checked later in points summary. AMEX actually never processed my transfer request. But later I called and asked to do it manually, the transfer was done successfully and miles showed up immediately
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1P, LANPASS GM
I can report that two tries at transferring from my AMEX points to my British Airways failed last night, despite receiving a confirmation page and a promise of a confirmation email. This hasn't been a problem before.

It's time to call I guess...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.