Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using AMEX GRN/GLD/PLAT/CENT to buy cashiers checks or the like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2002, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat

Anyone? Anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone here has used their AMEX card (non-credit) to buy cashiers checks, travelers checks, or anything similar in order to circumvent instances of non-AMEX acceptance?

One example that comes to mind (and is in our archives) is buying a Gift Card at Wal-Mart to use at Sam's Club. Anything else?

You know I am just looking to maximize my spending dollars!
Rent, mortgage, car payments.....collectors that will take a certified/cashiers check.

[This message has been edited by danpic (edited 06-24-2002).]
Old Jun 24, 2002, 11:43 am

Other than for savings bonds I too would be extremely interested in finding a method of charging cash equivalents to the card.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 1:40 pm

For the most part, these types of transactions (charging something in exchange for cash) are prohibited in order to prevent money laundering.

Snowcap
Old Jun 24, 2002, 5:29 pm

You can buy gift cheques and travelers checks online from AMEX. This has been discussed before; basically it's not worth it with the associated fees.

For Gift Cheques a fee of $2.50 per check plus additional for shipping (min. $5.95):

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...v=shopgiftcheq

For Travelers Cheques there is a $15 fee and shipping costs:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...av=travcheques

The limit is 1K for each per 14 days. They don't earn miles; though you might get lucky - I've earned miles from them in the past.

Another choice is the Be My Guest Card: with a fee of $5.95 per card and amounts up to $500. You can use it at restaurants that accept AMEX:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...41,8514,00.asp

You could also look into funding debit cards like the VisaBux; but most don't take AMEX as a funding source - check with the individual bank issuing the card.

PayPal isn't worth it; your limited in the amount you can withdraw - you'd need to open a merchant account and that would lead to fees - you'd loose money in the process of getting the cash from the card transaction.

I recommend you look into paying all your bills; i.e. utility, cell phone - using your credit card. This is easy to do through AMEX.

What are you really trying to do here?

[This message has been edited by WhiteAMEX (edited 06-24-2002).]
Old Jun 27, 2002, 3:53 pm

VisaBuxx is the closest cash equivalent I have found so far. However, as stated above, you can only use Visa and MC to fund a VisaBuxx card. Visit www.visabuxx.com for more information.

Basically, a VisaBuxx card is a stored value card that is funded with a Visa or MC credit card. The three biggest restrictions with a VisaBuxx are 1) the funding limits, 2) the cash withdrawl limits, 3) the fees. You can oversome each of theses issues the following way: 1) create multiple cards, although this requires social security numbers for each user, 2) "buy" money orders to suppliment the cash withdrawl limitations, although this raises the total fees, 3) use a card that is best for you given where you live and how you plan to fund it.

For me, I have a couple of B of A VisaBuxx cards. Each card can be funded with a maximum of $35,000 in spend per year for $150 to $250 in fees. The best application for this is my SWA Visa card. My two cards will generate 4 Rapid Reward vouchers for appx $400 in fees. More importantly, it will also generate a companion pass for my wife.

MTP

Old Jun 28, 2002, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone confirm or clarify what the story is for green card holders and travelers checks?

AmEx's Web site says:

"American Express Cardmembers can purchase Travelers Cheques or Cheques for Two as a cash advance, an Express Cash transaction, or by authorizing a checking account debit**. Some institutions that sell Travelers Cheques or Cheques for Two may allow them to be charged to credit cards."

There's no cash advance on a charge card, I don't know what express cash is, and obviously debiting your checking account isn't really the same as using your chard card.

So, I'm still confused - can we use charge cards to buy travelers checks?

The $15 fee is really equivalent on a $1000 transaction to Citibank's 1.5% fee; if I can get the travelers checks on my AmEx account, points or not, it seems to make financial sense, versus spending actual cash on them with Citi.

d

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.