Wiki Posts
Search

Best Move from ZYNC? Eligible Bonuses?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Best Move from ZYNC? Eligible Bonuses?

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out the best move up from the ZYNC card. I wanted to use the public PRG 25k w/ 2k of spend, but am ineligible for that bonus because I have a Zync account. 2 questions:

1. If someone "refers" me to PRG, would I be eligible for a 25k bonus?

2. If not, are there any bonus one can move up to from a Zync card? Want to get away from MR Express and earn lots of points (hence the draw to the 2X and 3X of PRG).

Thanks!!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Hi Aerosfire,

So, are you trying to convert the Zync to another charge card, or are you trying to open a new Amex charge card? You need to open a new one to get a signing bonus. Conversions don't work.

Even with opening a new one, you're right, you want to confirm that you're eligible for the signing bonus in its entirety, rather than just the difference between that and what you got when you signed up for a Zync.

Be patient. I think it's much better to wait for a nice, say, 75k offer, than to jump on a PRG asap. The 3x/2x categories won't make a huge difference unless you're a super high spender.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am unclear on opening a new card vs. a conversion. My goal is to get all my Zync MR points onto a regular MR card. So I would guess I would open a new card and close the Zync card later?

Very good point about waiting for a 75k offer. Very well might be worth just waiting for something higher.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
I had / have a zync card and still actually use it a decent amount for A) 2x points on all travel and B) 2x points on mobile phone / internet. Now combined with my plat all the MR points end up in the same account and can be utilized for anything the points from the plat can be used for
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Aerosfire
Maybe I am unclear on opening a new card vs. a conversion. My goal is to get all my Zync MR points onto a regular MR card. So I would guess I would open a new card and close the Zync card later?
Yes, your MR points become whatever your highest card is because they are all in one bucket. So if you applied for and got a MR points card (not MR Express) then you would get a letter in the mail telling you that all your points are now MR (not MR Express) and that is the way any new ones earned from the Zync will be treated in the future.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
I was planning to apply for the Amex PRG too, and keep my Zync card knowing my Express points would roll into the PRG. A bit off topic, but I've tried several times over this weekend applying online via my Amex account for the PRG card (started Friday evening..it's Sunday evening now) and I keep getting a spinning wheel timer when I apply for the PRG but no screen comes up after keying in my CID number (the 4 digit # on the front of the Zync card). I have waited over 10 minutes and can only cancel out of the connection. Can't figure out what's causing it as I've cleared cache, cookies, and enabled/disabled pop-ups, rebooted and the problem still occurs. I'm using a newer MacBook Pro. Very very frustrating...This also occurred when I tested out applying for the Platinum card too.

I posted on CB about this and was told it happened to someone else also and the only way to resolve was to call into Amex and apply by phone which results in a hard pull whether you're approved or not which defeats the purpose of not getting a HP if declined. So if the OP gets the spinning wheel problem be aware of the HP that's coming whether you're approved or not for the PRG.

Thanks to this thread I think I'll just wait for a bonus offer now though! Maybe they will get the spinning wheel issued resolved in the meantime. I'm not in a hurry to get the new PRG but definitely want to roll my points into MR points stead of Express points with the Zync card.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
I just swapped my PRG out. Annual fee was almost due, and I'm not getting a lot of value for the card. Another confirmation here that you can swap for other charge cards, but not for credit cards. Got a Zync. Will add a home pack later, and some of the free packs. The home pack is great for shopping at Lowe's, and should recoup the annual fee. Other promos, if they come up, will be icing on the cake (Sync $5 off 25 for certain brands of fuel, small biz saturday, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.