Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need workaround for businesses that won't accept AMEX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond

I am remodeling my bathroom and many of my vendors don't accept AMEX. It's about 10,000 worth and I would like it to qualify for my threshold if possible or it seems a waste of benefits.

Any workarounds to this? I have the cash, but just need to get some AMEX credit for it
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I am remodeling my bathroom and many of my vendors don't accept AMEX. It's about 10,000 worth and I would like it to qualify for my threshold if possible or it seems a waste of benefits.

Any workarounds to this? I have the cash, but just need to get some AMEX credit for it
Nope. If they don't take Amex, there's really nothing you can do. They more than likely don't even have a merchant agreement to even accept Amex.

Use a Visa, MasterCard or Discover. I don't see any other options.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:11 pm

What about buying gift cards from 3rd party retailers? Or does that not earn AMEX points (I'm still new at MR)? I am thinking that even if you can't use HomeDepot or Rona cards, you could buy the VISA or MC gift cards that can be used anywhere. Problem is they usually have a lower limit so you'd need a ton of individual cards per transaction which may run you into issues too. But it's worth looking into.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:00 pm

You could ask them to get a SQUARE merchant account. I would send them a link that shows Square only charges +2.?% for Amex. But to be frank...A lot contractors are going to shy away from Amex just on the basis that Amex is very agressive on behalf of cardholders if their is a dispute. I know plastic surgeon who refuses all credit cards just so he does not have to deal with chargebacks aka disputes
The only other method is you could ask that contractor to let you buy the supplies direct. Contractor will not like that for several reasons. Either way you are making a messy transaction that may bite you later on various issues that are not worth it
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

I was looking to buy a 5000 mc prepaid and or gift card and could not find one. I only could find one for $500. My new shower doors are $4500 I don't think I could get them to use 9 gift cards.

Amex gifts don't count towards your spend threshold.

Anyone know of a retailer where you an buy $1000 gift cards for Visa?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
When we remodeled our bathroom we did the work ourselves, and you can buy the materials at Home Depot, as we did, which I assure you takes Amex. But you have to be handy. Bathrooms are not very difficult though so it's a thought, yes? As another poster says, many contractors are basically you know what bags and they are worried about chargebacks, so you can forget about a d. taking a card that can be charged back.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peachfront
When we remodeled our bathroom we did the work ourselves, and you can buy the materials at Home Depot, as we did, which I assure you takes Amex. But you have to be handy. Bathrooms are not very difficult though so it's a thought, yes? As another poster says, many contractors are basically you know what bags and they are worried about chargebacks, so you can forget about a d. taking a card that can be charged back.

I have worked it out with my contractors to let me purchase all of the materials from Home Depot already. It's the Labor and the shower people I am having issues. Amex spent a lot of time with me trying to find a workaround and they suggested purchasing gift cards (nonamex) I am just trying to find the largest denomination that I can purchase using a credit card. I think I found a place with $1000 increments, so that might solve my issue.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
You could ask them to get a SQUARE merchant account. I would send them a link that shows Square only charges +2.?% for Amex. But to be frank...A lot contractors are going to shy away from Amex just on the basis that Amex is very agressive on behalf of cardholders if their is a dispute. I know plastic surgeon who refuses all credit cards just so he does not have to deal with chargebacks aka disputes
The only other method is you could ask that contractor to let you buy the supplies direct. Contractor will not like that for several reasons. Either way you are making a messy transaction that may bite you later on various issues that are not worth it
My Plumber agreed to take square, so am happy with that. Is that why merchants don't take it, due to the chance of chargebacks? I always figured it was the higher fee
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:39 pm

I was looking to buy a 5000 mc prepaid and or gift card and could not find one. I only could find one for $500. My new shower doors are $4500 I don't think I could get them to use 9 gift cards.

Anyone know of a retailer where you an buy $1000 gift cards for Visa?
Do $1000 Visa gift cards exist?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gm9928
Do $1000 Visa gift cards exist?
I found $750 and $1000 the $1000 only if it is a corporate account, which I can use my business, seems like they will take a credit card, but they have to call you first. Will let you know if it works and if they will take AMEX. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:53 pm

My Plumber agreed to take square, so am happy with that. Is that why merchants don't take it, due to the chance of chargebacks? I always figured it was the higher fee
I'm pretty sure it's the higher fee. Both Citi and Amex (not sure about other card issuers) give you 60 days from the date the charge posts to your account to dispute it. At least in Texas, that gives residential contractors at least two weeks to send out lien notices if a charge has been disputed (assuming payment is made at the completion of the job); commercial contractors get an extra month. But I think some states (Florida?) have much shorter windows.

We have suppliers that take all cards, and they're not shy about telling you their preference (Visa or MC). But with the economy the way it is (and the number of dirtbag contractors out there), they're just happy to get paid on time.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:04 am
Original Poster

That's why I was so surprised that the company I want to make my shower doors was willing to walk away from a $5000 sale. Normally I can get a company to give I , but this one would not.

Still waiting to hear from Visa, hoping to hear something tomorrow.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:09 am

Does PayPal take Amex?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: StarAlliance (Aeroplan)
Originally Posted by Crashem
Does PayPal take Amex?
Yes, Paypal takes Amex Cards for their usual fee of 2.9% + 30 cents per transaction. And this WILL count as a purchase.

You are correct, the Gift card itself does not count towards your spending threshold but when you use your Amex to buy a Gift card in a store (Let's say Safeway) the actual purchase of the Gift Card does count as it's a normal purchase in a grocery store. I do it regularly with Starbucks cards.

The difficulty you may encounter is the 4-6% user fee when you purchase Visa or MC cards. (All the Visa/MC cards I've seen in Canada have a user fee).
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Still waiting to hear from Visa, hoping to hear something tomorrow.
I think you are probably waiting to hear from a bank, because VISA does not issue cards. If you menation the name of the card issuer somone may know if they accept American Express as a funding source.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.