Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[UK] Express Rewards Credit Card. 3 MR Express per £1 at supermarkets.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Didn't know this card exists until it showed up in Martin Lewis' weekly e-mail (top man). It's on a hidden bit of Amex's site because it's a Moneysupermarket exclusive for the time being.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cred...rchRequestId=0

Anyway, the good stuff. The card has no annual fee and earns Membership Rewards Express points, which cannot usually be converted to airline or hotel points. However of you also have a Gold, Platinum or Centurion card in your Membership rewards account then it will earn full MR points instead.

So why bother with it? Well look at these category bonuses.

3 points for £1 on supermarket spend (we all know how to milk that with gift cards right?)
2 points for £1 on department store spend.
1 point per £1 elsewhere.

If you used it solely for supermarket spend, and converted all the MR points to Starpoints, you'd be earning at a faster rate than the Starwood Amex. Lovely.

Have fun.

Last edited by The Corrupt Banker; Jul 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm Reason: Fixed broken link
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Previous discussion of this rewards program here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...points-uk.html

Clicking the link in The Corrupt Banker's post does not work reliably for me. However, it will work if I copy the URL and paste it into an Incognito or Private Browsing tab.

Last edited by mia; Jul 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by The Corrupt Banker
The card has no annual fee and earns Membership Rewards Express points, which cannot usually be converted to airline or hotel points. However of you also have a Gold, Platinum or Centurion card in your Membership rewards account then it will earn full MR points instead.
I was familiar with the concept of '2nd class' rewards with such a card but had overlooked the potential 1:1 MR match for existing premium cardholders.

3 MR points/£ for shopping at Waitrose/Tesco/etc on a no-fee card would make this unbeatable IMO and the best since my long-lamented GE Money MasterCard disappeared some years ago.

Thanks for the link, The Corrupt Banker, which is hard to find at moneysupermarket.com and which I could not find at MSE.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

If anyone else is having trouble with the link, you can find the card yourself by going:

moneysupermarket.com --> Credit Cards --> Exclusive deals.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:51 am

Will it definitely earn full MR points if you have a charge card? The terms and conditions don't make any mention of it.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Olly-
... terms and conditions don't make any mention of it.
The ability to combine points earned with multiple cards would be a feature of the program, not of an individual card. I would not expect to see it mentioned in the terms of any card. In the USA Membership Rewards and Express points can be combined, but this does not necessarily apply in other markets. I would ask customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.