Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

About how much do you have to spend to get 100k Platinum offer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

I just got a PRG card
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
I don't know if there's a correlation.

I got the offer for the 100k last year out of the blue.
I wasn't even an Amex card holder and because I'm just a student, my income isn't all that high either.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:07 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
+1. You just have to wait. The offer comes out usually once an year, or by invite. The one thing is that you have to make sure you haven't declined prescreened credit cards offers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: UR, MR, United, SPG
Originally Posted by jatink129
I don't know if there's a correlation.

I got the offer for the 100k last year out of the blue.
I wasn't even an Amex card holder and because I'm just a student, my income isn't all that high either.
Agreed. My GF just got the 100k targeted platinum offer a few weeks ago. Not sure what her annual spending is, but its not high at all (probably ~$10k). One thing though is she's only had three credit cards total (her most recent being the Chase CSP which she recieved 2 weeks ago) and has never had an AMEX.

Last edited by SumGai88; Jun 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: AMEX, WN, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
I received a 100k targeted platinum offer a few weeks ago and was approved, I was not a previous AMEX customer. My annual spend with Citi and Chase is about 25k/year, credit score around 780, a dozen or so active credit cards (6 new ones this year) with 10 year history. Hope that data helps.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
We just received a Platinum Card 100K MR points targeted offer at our house--for our 22 year old daughter, who has no credit card, is still a student, and made less than $10K last year. Seems like the targeting is a total crap shoot. I noticed the application still asked for an annual salary, so don't know if she would have been approved.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
I just got a PRG card
You will not be eligible for any personal Platinum Card new account bonus, other than an "upgrade" offer, which is typically 25,000 points.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Is it possible to upgrade to Platinum then downgrade back to PRG?

I just got a PRG and planning on upgrading next year to Platinum once I get a good offer/deal.

So I'd get their bonus promo, stick with it for a year, then go back to Amex PRG before I pay another $450.

Is this possible to do?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
...then go back to Amex PRG before I pay another $450. Is this possible to do?
Yes, see this thread. The Gold/Platinum upgrade/downgrade process is the same for personal/business accounts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:57 pm

It seems spending is not the only metric AMEX uses in sending out 100k offer.

I really hope I could get a targeted 100k offer from AMEX.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:00 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by spidaman
We just received a Platinum Card 100K MR points targeted offer at our house--for our 22 year old daughter, who has no credit card, is still a student, and made less than $10K last year. Seems like the targeting is a total crap shoot. I noticed the application still asked for an annual salary, so don't know if she would have been approved.
I got approved as a student a couple of years back. Put in what is true, call the recon line and explain them that you are a student who travels a lot and can really use this card. As long as you sound responsible and ready to pay the fee, they will probably give you the card with a pretty low spending limit through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.