Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines & Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

The only exceptions are:
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points; must be transferred in 250-point increments
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Starwood Preferred Guest®: 1,000 points = 333 Starpoints®
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 1,500 HHonors™ points
Virgin America: 200 points = 100 Elevate points; must be transferred in 200-point increments

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines, US Airways or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
    ------------------
  • El Al is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE. Ends October 31, 2014.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not a OneWorld member, but they do have a rewards partnership with American Airlines, see HERE.

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)
    *Note: DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating outside of USA carry additional surcharges.

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:
  • Asia Miles
  • British Airways
  • Delta Airlines
  • Emirates
  • FlyingBlue

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? [2008 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:10 am

I have 100k points with AMEX with the recent signup bouns. And I'd like to figure out how to fly with these points.

My home airport is LAX. I plan fly to East Asia in summer, HKG/ICN/NRT(or any nearby airport) I've found cheap budget airline between Japan and Korea (ICN/NRT). So I still the main route figure out.

Here's my plan:

LAX -> NRT -> ICN -> HKG -> ICN -> NRT -> LAX
or
LAX -> ICN -> HKG -> ICN -> NRT -> ICN -> LAX

Either way I need to figure out which airline do I transfer my miles to. I'm new to this, please guide me.

Thank you.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by yusiye
I have 100k points with AMEX with the recent signup bouns. And I'd like to figure out how to fly with these points.

My home airport is LAX. I plan fly to East Asia in summer, HKG/ICN/NRT(or any nearby airport) I've found cheap budget airline between Japan and Korea (ICN/NRT). So I still the main route figure out.

Here's my plan:

or

Either way I need to figure out which airline do I transfer my miles to. I'm new to this, please guide me.

Thank you.
My advice would be to search award availability first and then transfer. 100k miles might not be enough for business class RT, depending on the airline and route, but would be enough for economy. Unless you go with Delta, fuel surcharges in the low-mid three figures are likely. The probable top contenders in terms of finding availability for LAX-HKG/NRT would be SQ, BA (flying on CX, MH or JL), NH, and DL (TPAC availability is actually decent). Depending on how flexible you are with dates you might also check availability out of SAN, SFO, maybe even SEA.

Just a quick test makes it look like it's fairly easy to find availability using BA miles LAX-NRT for 50k each way in business, along with $150-$400 in fuel surcharges each way. (It looks like the fuel charges are higher in the NRT-LAX direction, or perhaps it's a function of the operating airline.)

BA and SQ both allow one-way awards so if you wanted to fly JL or MH to NRT on the outbound and then SQ HKG-LAX on the return you could do that also.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
1.5 million MR

Need expert advice.

I have 1.5 million MRs seating in my account in Argentina. I can transfer them to my US account (once per year)

MR Argentina has 1:1 transfer to Avianca miles, however I can normally purchase those miles for 1.5 cpm.

I am debating over transfereing them to Flying Blue or Aeroplan. I do not have status with neither. Another option could be to Transfer 200k to each program and bank the rest in amex until more is needed.

What would you do?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by leandrorar
Need expert advice.

I have 1.5 million MRs seating in my account in Argentina. I can transfer them to my US account (once per year)

MR Argentina has 1:1 transfer to Avianca miles, however I can normally purchase those miles for 1.5 cpm.

I am debating over transfereing them to Flying Blue or Aeroplan. I do not have status with neither. Another option could be to Transfer 200k to each program and bank the rest in amex until more is needed.

What would you do?
What I would do depends on where you want to go and when. Do you have trips on mind?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Thanks! Yes, many trips on mind. EZE-Europe and EZE-Asia. I also use AA miles a lot, but no way to transfer. Just CC.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:55 pm

where to transfer Amex MR points?

What is the best transfer options? I m not familiar with MR

Got 75k from last signup.

Currently have 100k united, 20k avios, 150k AA
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There's no one option that's "best" for everyone. Without knowing more about what you hope to get from miles/points, it's impossible to make an informed recommendation.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:29 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Also WHY do you have to transfer? Are you closing accounts?

I usually transfer to aeroplan, but in your case, BA might an option too.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:11 am

Perhaps you could start by reading the third thread down in this forum

"Which hotel or airline to transfer my Amex MR Membership Rewards points?"

I'm thinking it may be related to your question...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yusiye

Here's my plan:

or

Thank you.
The entire route is 15036 miles
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=LAX-NRT-ICN-HKG-ICN-NRT-LAX

With ANA's distance based chart this route will cost 105K ANA Miles:
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...ikeiair_1.html

Star alliance operates all of these routes ANA will be able to book as long as award availability is there.
For instance, sample non-stop operators for all of your segments:
LAX-NRT: UA, SQ, ANA
NRT-ICN: Asiana, UA
ICN-HKG: Asiana, Thai
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Gold
yusiye: If you have any *points, they also transfer into ANA. And if you have any family members with MR points you can transfer theirs into your ANA account.

I just did this, used up all of my MR points, my Mom's MR points, and added just enough *points to get 230K ANA points to fly 2 of us to Borneo on OZ in business class. It did cost me $635 each in SQ though. But the tickets are worth over $7000 each so it was worth it to me. The balance in my ANA account is now 43 points.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
Originally Posted by ramkashyap
One option I can say is transfer your Amex to ANA for travel on Ethihad to HYD. The award availability is awesome from JFK/IAD-AUH-HYD.
Since Etihad is a non-alliance partner of ANA, you cannot add additional segments to get to their Hub. I mean segments like BOS-JFK or BOS-IAD. ANA uses a distance based approach. For a RT from JFK to HYD it is shy under 17K miles and you will look at the 14-18K category which costs you 85K/105K/160K for Econ/Biz/First.
Also the taxes and fees for Etihad Biz is steep. For ex, RT award taxes for JFK-AUH-HYD will be 900$. This is the hardest part for me to digest.
Transfer to ANA takes 2-3 days from MR.

I am looking for more options for MR transfer that will take me to HYD easily.
how much are taxes in economy
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:39 am

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I have ~200K points that I need to transfer out of MR as I am closing my cards because of the annual fee.

I usually fly LAX to TLV with my family (5 people) once every year or two. I prefer traveling on non-stop flight with El Al (usually using AA miles), however this will not work here because of the devaluation involved in conversion.

I am going through the list and so far Air France is the best option that I've found with 50K miles+$80 taxes/ticket when going through JFK.

Other options I was looking at are:
El Al - Low redemption rate and high surcharges
ANA - 65K per ticket
Iberia/Singapore/BA - 75K per ticket
Air Canada/Alitalia - 80K per ticket
Cathay Pacific - 90K per ticket
All other airlines do not offer this route

Anyone has any advice on how to utilize/transfer MR better?

TIA!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Barely topic-related question:

How difficult is it booking UA flights using Aeroplan miles transferred from MR?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Barely topic-related question:

How difficult is it booking UA flights using Aeroplan miles transferred from MR?
Not difficult. And no fuel surcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.