Business Gold, Trip Cancellation

Old May 12, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Business Gold, Trip Cancellation

So I have a feeling I know what kind of responses I'll receive, but I'll go ahead and ask anyways to see if anyones had any luck with this...

A few weeks ago I purchased three UA tickets for a friend with my biz gold card (she gave me cash so that I could get the bonus points.) Because of a change in employment status, she and her family wont be able to go on any trip this year, and more than likely next year as well. She told me this well after the 24 hour grace period had ended, so no luck there.

Fast forward, I understand that UA will issue credit (L fare) but will not allow for a name change (was hoping to purchase their credit as a way of helping out, maybe someone has had luck with doing a name change?) Hoping to take advantage of standard travel protection offered by Amex, has anyone been in a similiar situation and had Amex refund a full or partial amount?

Again this was purchased with my business gold rewards card; and, if it makes any difference, I hold two other Amex cards as well.

Thanks for everyones help! ^
Old May 12, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
No harm in asking, because you never know what someone might know or have experienced - but I'm not aware of any way to use this at all.

There are some overtly fradulent ways, and I'm not even going to go there.

This is far outside Amex's sphere, not their responsibility at all.

You might have a little pity and give them back the value of the (3x) points.

Sorry about your friends' situation.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It would shock me if Amex did anything here. And, if OP explained the underlying transaction, Amex would terminate its account relationship on the spot.

But, there's nothing to feel bad about. Had OP's friend purchased the same tickets for cash, all the friend would get is a credit less fee anyway.

So, OP's friend has a year to use the credits and OP, if he's decent, takes the friend out for a nice dinner or gives him a gift card for the rough value of the points he earned.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:40 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lakers6902
Hoping to take advantage of standard travel protection offered by Amex,
To my knowledge American Express cards issued in the USA do not include any such benefit. Where did you read about it?
Old May 13, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Often1
It would shock me if Amex did anything here. And, if OP explained the underlying transaction, Amex would terminate its account relationship on the spot.
Why? Is it unusual for people to purchase airfare for friends/family?

Whoever charges the airfare is on the hook for the cost of it. In this case, the OP charged the airfare on his/her CC and as far as Amex is concerned, that's it. The OP and his/her friend can work out how to deal with the cost of fare/cancellation fees etc. There's nothing fraudulent here that would cause Amex to terminate the account.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Harsh but to the point; I like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.