Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are neice and nephew considered "immediate family" for lounge access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Greetings,

Will be traveling with niece and nephew. Can my neice and nephew be considered "immediate family" for the sake of admission to an airline lounge? I don't mind buying day passes but if I don'tave to, I don't want to.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Are you asking about a Platinum Card lounge (AA, DL, US) or a Priority Pass lounge?
Old May 8, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Are you asking about a Platinum Card lounge (AA, DL, US) or a Priority Pass lounge?
Probably Platinum Card lounge since Priority Pass doesn't have any benefits for immediate family members.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Can you not just tell them they are your "immeidately family" ?
Old May 8, 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bishope2
Will be traveling with niece and nephew. Can my neice and nephew be considered "immediate family" for the sake of admission to an airline lounge?
I fly plenty with my wife and kids, and I've never been asked any questions regarding relationship. If it is remotely possible your niece and nephew could be your kids, I think most agents would find it tactless to ask...just hand over your boarding pass, AmEx, and ID.

If asked, be honest. Not so much recently, but I've seen the clubs grant exceptions to those who pleasantly request it (NB: reasonable exceptions, such as adult couple traveling with parents, which is technically one more person than allowed).
Old May 8, 2012, 11:11 pm

I would just check in and say this is my family which is the truth.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:11 am

I have run into questions like this, as I've traveled with up to 6 cousins at the same time - all with the same last name (and in the same general age range +/- 5 years). I was told once that the last name thing helps. Even if we're not at the same address, I said we we all brothers (7 guys), and she verified IDs, BPs, and said no problem.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:29 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
From American Express Travel Insurance Definition, good as any:

Immediate family – spouse, parent, legal guardian, legal ward, step-parent, grandparent,
grandchild, in-law, natural or adopted child, step-child, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister,
aunt, uncle, niece, nephew.

Here is the link:
https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....ct_english.pdf

Last edited by rthib; May 9, 2012 at 6:35 am Reason: Found defiintion
Old May 9, 2012, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rthib
From American Express Travel Insurance Definition, good as any:

Immediate family – spouse, parent, legal guardian, legal ward, step-parent, grandparent,
grandchild, in-law, natural or adopted child, step-child, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister,
aunt, uncle, niece, nephew.

Here is the link:
https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....ct_english.pdf
This allows for a huge "immediate family."

I wonder why the OP can't take the niece and nephew into the lounge as the two permitted guests.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by u2g0d
Probably Platinum Card lounge since Priority Pass doesn't have any benefits for immediate family members.
I asked because the Platinum Card entry benefit at AA, DL and US lounges does not mention "immediate family", it is very specific:

The Platinum member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests.
http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel

...but some individual lounges which participate in Priority Pass may use that terminology to limit the number of people who enter.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Lounge access isn't the same as insurance.

(response to post #8 above that I meant to quote)
Old May 9, 2012, 10:40 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by mia
I asked because the Platinum Card entry benefit at AA, DL and US lounges does not mention "immediate family", it is very specific:

http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel

...but some individual lounges which participate in Priority Pass may use that terminology to limit the number of people who enter.
So if the nieces and nephews are under 21, they qualify as "children" since it didn't say the "cardholder's children" specifically?
Old May 10, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok, to answer some of your questions...Asking about Plat. card as Priority Pass as each lounge has it's own rules from the few I have looked at.

All last names are different, wife will be traveling with me and both of the kids are 20 right now. I just didn't know how flexible the rules were "spouse and children under 21 or 2 traveling companions."
Old May 10, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Talking

Originally Posted by Bishope2
Ok, to answer some of your questions...Asking about Plat. card as Priority Pass as each lounge has it's own rules from the few I have looked at.

All last names are different, wife will be traveling with me and both of the kids are 20 right now. I just didn't know how flexible the rules were "spouse and children under 21 or 2 traveling companions."
Perhaps in some cultures the kids can have different last names than the parents? or perhaps your "kids" got name changes because they were teased in school?
Old May 11, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Danieliam, they were teased no more than you in school...LOL...Thanks everyone for the replies. Shall see what happens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.