Wiki Posts
Search

Help me us MR to go to Miami!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Cool Help me us MR to go to Miami!

Hello!

This forum has been a huge help to me in the past!

Well here is the story - I have 53k MR rewards points on my Amex Platinum. I am trying to go to South Beach Miami with my girlfriend and myself for our 10 year anniversary. I called Amex Travel and they gave me my best flight options. Best one is through Delta - $330 round trip per person. I have this flight on a 24 hour hold. My 53 points would leave me spending a little over $100 out of pocket for the flights and then the entire hotel. Booking the flights through FHR I would get 20% back (around 10,000 MR points).

Is there a better way to do this? Should I transfer my points to an airline rewards program to maximize their use? I don't know how to transfer them or where to transfer them but I feel like I am not using them to their full potential.

Also if you have any recommendations on hotels right on South Beach Miami. The preferred ones through Amex seem nice, especially with late check out and other amenities. Is it worth it to stay at a preferred? Thanks again!
Old May 10, 2012, 10:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Where will you be flying from? How long do you plan to stay? Do you intend to rent a car?
Old May 10, 2012, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Where will you be flying from? How long do you plan to stay? Do you intend to rent a car?
Sorry! Left out some important info!!

We are flying out of Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF). We fly out Fri Sep 7 morning and depart Mon Sep 10 evening. I do not intend on renting a car, just taxi it to the hotel and I believe most everything we want to do is right there.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Is there any advantage to transferring my points to a delta rewards program and booking directly through them? Would I be able to pay for more of the tickets?

Is there an option of me transferring to starwood and booking the hotel with the points instead?

I'm just looking for a little guidance on how to get the most out of the points I have.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by matt69
Hello!

This forum has been a huge help to me in the past!

Well here is the story - I have 53k MR rewards points on my Amex Platinum. I am trying to go to South Beach Miami with my girlfriend and myself for our 10 year anniversary. I called Amex Travel and they gave me my best flight options. Best one is through Delta - $330 round trip per person. I have this flight on a 24 hour hold. My 53 points would leave me spending a little over $100 out of pocket for the flights and then the entire hotel. Booking the flights through FHR I would get 20% back (around 10,000 MR points).

Is there a better way to do this? Should I transfer my points to an airline rewards program to maximize their use? I don't know how to transfer them or where to transfer them but I feel like I am not using them to their full potential.

Also if you have any recommendations on hotels right on South Beach Miami. The preferred ones through Amex seem nice, especially with late check out and other amenities. Is it worth it to stay at a preferred? Thanks again!
I see airfares BUF-MIA for $292 on DL for those dates. I would not use 50K MR for two domestic plane tickets, but then you may not use them otherwise.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
As far as hotels, try this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...ng-primer.html

For flights, you can look for award availability on partner airlines, but do not transfer your points until you have found the flights you want. Delta is one option, transferring to British Airways (transfer promo going on now) and booking on American is another.

Since you get some points back, in practice your points are worth 1.25 cents each. If you find a 25K mile award, you are in effect getting a $330 ticket for $312.50 worth of points, but since there will be some fees on the award ticket, it's basically a break-even. I assume you will eventually use the 10K points you get back. One advantage to using your points this way is that you will get mileage credit for the flights.

Using your points as you described is not a particularly bad deal, especially if you aren't saving them for something in particular, like an overseas trip, but it's not an awesome deal either.

I won't even comment on 10 years with a girlfriend. I've never waited more than about 3 years before getting married.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop43
As far as hotels, try this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...ng-primer.html

For flights, you can look for award availability on partner airlines, but do not transfer your points until you have found the flights you want. Delta is one option, transferring to British Airways (transfer promo going on now) and booking on American is another.

Since you get some points back, in practice your points are worth 1.25 cents each. If you find a 25K mile award, you are in effect getting a $330 ticket for $312.50 worth of points, but since there will be some fees on the award ticket, it's basically a break-even. I assume you will eventually use the 10K points you get back. One advantage to using your points this way is that you will get mileage credit for the flights.

Using your points as you described is not a particularly bad deal, especially if you aren't saving them for something in particular, like an overseas trip, but it's not an awesome deal either.

I won't even comment on 10 years with a girlfriend. I've never waited more than about 3 years before getting married.

Lol thanks! So you've been married more than once ?

I appreciate the help. So is Miami beach considered south beach or is south beach just a small part of Miami beach? I'm just trying to understand the zones on Priceline and Hotwire.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Lol thanks! So you've been married more than once ?

I appreciate the help. So is Miami beach considered south beach or is south beach just a small part of Miami beach? I'm just trying to understand the zones on Priceline and Hotwire.
South beach is about to 20th St

21st to 80th is Miami Beach

Beyond that is North Miami Beach

St run north-south
Ave run east-west
Old May 10, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Danpass's post is very helpful. As a general rule you just have to look at the zone maps on Priceline. You can usually figure out what is where, although it sometimes take a little effort and a little zooming in and out, and comparing to other maps.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Okay now I want to book my hotel through Priceline.

Only problem is I found out I could get a round trip ticket through southwest for only $220 and it is a direct flight instead of connecting but it flies to fort lauderdale not Miami. It's only about a 20-25 min difference in drive.

Do you guys know of a way I could transfer some of my MR to southwest rapid rewards or can you no longer do that?

Also wouldn't you guys agree direct to Fort Lauderdale for 100$ less is better than connecting to Miami?
Old May 11, 2012, 6:18 am

Do you guys know of a way I could transfer some of my MR to southwest rapid rewards or can you no longer do that?
You can no longer transfer Amex points to Southwest. However, Amex Travel will book a Southwest flight with your MR points, you just have to call them.

Last edited by mia; May 11, 2012 at 6:46 am
Old May 11, 2012, 6:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... agree direct to Fort Lauderdale for 100$ less is better than connecting to Miami?
This is the reason I asked if you would be renting a car. The airfares to FLL are often lower than to MIA, but the cost of travelling between FLL and Miami Beach will consume some of the savings. This can be done by public transit if you like, but it will involve several changes and same waiting for connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.