Search

UK Platinum Card Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
UK Platinum Card Travel Insurance

Hi

Does anyone happen to know if the Plat travel Insurance covers missed flight connections due to a delay to the inbound flight, including weather, mechanical, congestion delays etc??

Cheers
Ben
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
You can see the full UK policy here:-
https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....0UK%20Plat.pdf

includes:-

"You will be reimbursed up to £150 per person for refreshment costs, or up to £300 per person(including £150 for refreshments) for additional travel and accommodation costs incurred prior to actual departure on Your Trip if:-"

"You miss Your connecting flight, train or ship and no alternative is made
available within 4 hours of the published departure time."

NOT COVERED:
Under missed departure and missed connection, claims where insufficient time has been allowed to arrive at the departure point or to arrive to connect with Your ongoing journey by flight, train or ship.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangey
You can see the full UK policy here:-
https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....0UK%20Plat.pdf

includes:-

"You will be reimbursed up to £150 per person for refreshment costs, or up to £300 per person(including £150 for refreshments) for additional travel and accommodation costs incurred prior to actual departure on Your Trip if:-"

"You miss Your connecting flight, train or ship and no alternative is made
available within 4 hours of the published departure time."

NOT COVERED:
Under missed departure and missed connection, claims where insufficient time has been allowed to arrive at the departure point or to arrive to connect with Your ongoing journey by flight, train or ship.
Cheers, I should have added "on separate bookings", looking at the policy it does not explicitly exclude this, although it only looks like I would be entitled to £300 max for rebooking.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Cheers, I should have added "on separate bookings", looking at the policy it does not explicitly exclude this, although it only looks like I would be entitled to £300 max for rebooking.
Yeap £300 per person. My reading of it would be that separate/all one is irrelevant. Of course if it is all on one PNR, the airline should be sorting you out, unless the last flight of the day for them, and you can book on another airline or whatever.

Last edited by tangey; Oct 28, 2011 at 7:43 am
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangey
Yeap £300 per person. My reading of it would be that separate/all one is irrelevant. Of course if it is all on one PNR, the airline should be sorting you out, unless the last flight of the day for them, and you can book on another airline or whatever.
Thanks again. I'm debating whether to save £180 booking a one way AA feeder into JFK to a BA TATL, directly with AA instead of an overall part of a BA itinerary.

Its highly annoying that BA can not do it at the same price, esp as its part of a larger ticket, I don't think I'll ever get airline pricing!

I can build in a 3.5 hour JFK transfer (or indeed over 6 if I get the earliest flight out of LAS) however as a nervous type 3.5 seems like cutting it fine, whilst as an impatient type 6 hours seems like way too long to be hanging around at an airport!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Thanks again. I'm debating whether to save £180 booking a one way AA feeder into JFK to a BA TATL, directly with AA instead of an overall part of a BA itinerary.

Its highly annoying that BA can not do it at the same price, esp as its part of a larger ticket, I don't think I'll ever get airline pricing!

I can build in a 3.5 hour JFK transfer (or indeed over 6 if I get the earliest flight out of LAS) however as a nervous type 3.5 seems like cutting it fine, whilst as an impatient type 6 hours seems like way too long to be hanging around at an airport!
The 3.5 hour transfer should be fine, particularly AA to BA and if you use PYOBP in advance for your BA flight. Even with a 2 hour delay you should comfortably make the connection.

The BA pricing issue is likely due to a lower fare class being available on AA than what BA would book as part of the combined itinerary.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
[UK] Platinum medical insurance. Can you pay an extra premium to cover pre-existing?

Hi,

I would call Amex, but their travel insurance line is only open Mon-Fri.

I know that their medical insurance doesn't cover for pre-existing conditions. If I were willing to pay an extra premium, would they offer coverage for my next trip?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
No, this is not an option on the Platinum Card in the UK, but maybe they will add it one day. I believe there are companies that provide pre-existing condition "top-ups", right?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Hi Guys,

My partner missed a connecting flight at MIA (going from LHR to LAS). Connection time was 1hr 35mins and he missed it due to immigration and customs delays.

Flight was booked with AA on one PNR, with BA flying the LHR leg and AA the MIA to LAS leg. AA refuse to pay for hotel as delay was not their fault but have rebooked flight.

He used an Amex issued Amex to book flight. Will Amex Platinum insurance cover the missed connection? I see no definition of what insufficient connection time is. I assumed that if the airline sold the connection, then there was sufficient connection time built in.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I would claim. It does not take long and you have nothing to lose.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Submitted a claim. Will report back when I get a decision.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:33 am

AXA insurance denied claim as I did not provide proof of the delay (I provided proof of boarding pass for missed flight and for flight taken next day, and proof of flight booking showing the connection I had been sold).

How do I get proof from Miami airport that there was significant delays at immigration on that day?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:30 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by Enigma368
AXA insurance denied claim as I did not provide proof of the delay (I provided proof of boarding pass for missed flight and for flight taken next day, and proof of flight booking showing the connection I had been sold).

How do I get proof from Miami airport that there was significant delays at immigration on that day?
I usually submit a flightaware flight status printout of that day. You can use the airline website also.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
I usually submit a flightaware flight status printout of that day. You can use the airline website also.
The inbound flight wasn't actually late though. The delay was caused by immigration taking over 3 hours. How do I prove that?

"Evidence from the appropriate organisation detailing the cause of the delay if You miss Your departure"

This above is what they said I need to provide. It is in the insurance policy docs. How do I provide this? The airport and/or US immigration are hardly going to provide this? Has anyone had experience with this before?

Last edited by Enigma368; Dec 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Presumably once you finally got through immigration, you then went straight to the customer service desk of your onward airline (AA?), and got them to rebook you onto a flight the next day? If so, they should have a record of that rebooking (when + why), I'd suggest you try asking them for a confirmation/details of the rebooking to submit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.