Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX MR refusing to honor matched bonus IDs (even those already notated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX MR refusing to honor matched bonus IDs (even those already notated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by ingy
BTW leftpinky and x712, I posted just ONE email but was getting constant confirmation from many the game was changing.
That makes more sense. I was baffled as to how (what looked like) one email lead to a post about something that serious.

Data point - I referred 2 friends to this card just a few days ago, they were both approved, received and activated cards yesterday, both called 1800-AXP-EARN w/code 6661 for 75k bump on PRG personal card. Both success. The offers are not all dead, YMM(still)V
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:20 pm

It seems that applying for a promo code is much easier than receiving the bump 6 to 8 weeks later. A notation does not mean you will receive your bump.

I have to say I was very very fortunate that after two calls, I was able to have the points in my account. Statement closed a couple of days ago. There was resistance but I guess I got lucky.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:29 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
is there a way to check what bonus codes are applied to your account, or do you have to call or message them? Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
I called a few weeks back and got the 100k for $2k put on my biz gold card, first call no problem.

Did the spend and have called 5 times since to get them to accelerate the posting but no dice. They did confirm that I had the offer but couldn't confirm the date the points would post, and absolutely did not allow them to post before 6-8 weeks.

Of course, if my previous card was any indication, it's all a crap excuse because on that one they specifically told me I'd have to call in to confirm the spending once done so they could post the points to my account, and as soon as I called in they told me it was good that I did because they'd never post "naturally".

Really sucks with the 12/1 deadline staring at me and the 25% more MR to SPG going on right now and ending in another 9 days

I think I'm going to cool it. I need to bump the bonus on a couple other cards and don't want to burn that for a lousy 25% on 40k points.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
opened new amex gold premier rewards - not eligible for any promo

Hey everyone.
I just opened amex gold PR, and tried to sign up for the promos available, however I've been told that I'm not eligible for any of them:
tried to bump to 25K, 75K from 15K I initially registered for - no luck;
Delta promo - nada;
addl authorised users - nothing;
50K for 15 transactions;
istalling insite;
tried both calling and emailing - no results,
is there something wrong with me maybe? lol
anyone has any ideas?
thanks
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
what's reason they claim you can't get signup bump?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
How many times did you try? I've got shot down multiple times only to be approved later. I think they're much more free with sign up bonuses than points posting early issues.

As long as you're truly a 1st time sign up, they'll probably give in.

On 9 cards between wife and I they've bumped 6 of them after enough calls, and haven't tried the other 3 yet.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:52 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by alexkgtu
Hey everyone.
I just opened amex gold PR, and tried to sign up for the promos available, however I've been told that I'm not eligible for any of them:
tried to bump to 25K, 75K from 15K I initially registered for - no luck;
Delta promo - nada;
addl authorised users - nothing;
50K for 15 transactions;
istalling insite;
tried both calling and emailing - no results,
is there something wrong with me maybe? lol
anyone has any ideas?
thanks
For some you listed, you don't qualify and you probably won't have luck... the window passed for easy additions. For the bump, however, you probably qualify, so just be sure to tell them you do (or ask them to explain why you don't), and you should be fine.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I think the glory days of AMEX bumps are over

I run a small business with 3 travelling employees (sales). All three of us have the Gold AMEX business card as of about 3 months ago.

I was targetted for the 100K offer with the Gold Card back in early summer. My colleague was targetted for the 75K offer and he called in (probably in June/July and asked to be matched to my offer which was quickly done). I got my 100K maybe 6 weeks ago and he got his within the past 2 weeks or so.

My third guy got the card later than we did and was initially slated for the 75K offer. He also called in, on our advice, and spoke with an AMEX MR rep in early August and asked to be matched. The rep put him on hold for a few minutes and agreed to the match. Told him there was nothing more to do -- he was all set and thanks for using AMEX, etc, etc.

Fast forward to today. He calls in to have the points expedited since he and his wife want to fly to visit family next month. (Plus, he wants to get the miles moved over to his CO account before 9/30.) AMEX rep was pleasant enough, but wouldn't budge past the initial 75K offer. He explained at length to her that he'd had a cordial discussion with another agent a month earlier who had promised him the deal and he felt AMEX had every obligation to honor that. She didn't disagree, but told him that after this past weekend, the rules had significantly changed.

I don't have all of the details, but those two were on the phone for at least 15 minutes. He said that she told him that they'd all undergone updated policy training around untargetted offers. She said that AMEX told them they'd lost control of their programs and "acquisition offers" and that it had cost them a bundle. She said that she no longer had any sort of flexibility on matters like this and nor did her supervisor. WOW.

We were all floored that AMEX had promised (and documented!) an offer and now refused to stand by it. That was a first for all of us.

He said that she was totally professional and pleasant the entire time, but she said she no longer had any leeway or options. Her only choice was to stand firm, but she did encourage him to send emails into their corporate office.

Anyhoo -- sorry for the terribly long post. It just seems that this perhaps marks a significant turning point in the history of AMEX matches and bumps. And, she made it clear to him that the gauntlet had fallen (at least in her office) following this holiday weekend. Apparently, when they came into work this morning, there was a quick meeting to review new policy.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Have others had similar experiences today>?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:02 pm

Try calling back and talking to a different CSR.

I called yesterday afternoon about getting the 10K MR points for downloading Insite and had no problems getting it (downloaded last week). I sent two SMs last week without luck (my wife got the points on the second SM).

I would be leery about espousing a belief that there is a major policy shift based on a single call. If you get the same response from a few CSRs, then perhaps time to worry.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Try calling back and talking to a different CSR.

I called yesterday afternoon about getting the 10K MR points for downloading Insite and had no problems getting it (downloaded last week). I sent two SMs last week without luck (my wife got the points on the second SM).

I would be leery about espousing a belief that there is a major policy shift based on a single call. If you get the same response from a few CSRs, then perhaps time to worry.
can you please give more details on the insight offer?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:25 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
AMEX Bumps

I agree with sbtinme. I also called today about my bump from the 15k I applied under to get the additional 60K added from the 6661 offer and was denied. I had called when I activated the card a few weeks ago and it was entered in the system. I was told to call back to have the points manually added in 6-8 weeks. I have spent the required amount and additionally referred a friend for the card (Gold) and called in to verify the bonus MR offer for this. I was on hold for over 30 minutes while the rep went back and forth. The final conversation was that corporate has denied the additional points as I was not specifically targeted for the offer and I have received all the points I am going to get. (Despite saying she could see where the previous rep had notated that I could have the Best offer matched). This is in stark contrast to the other experiences I have had with the CSR's this past year. I am reluctant to call and try someone else. I wonder if I should advise said family member to cancel his card now, as I was the one recommending he apply and get the 75K bump too.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by afsalva
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ng-insite.html

Promo: 6549. I downloaded it for my wife and I last week and sent SMs asking for the bonus. Wife got hers on second try. I called after two failed SMs and was asked when I downloaded it. I said "I don't remember exactly when but it was the same day my wife downloaded it and she just got her points a couple of days ago." Two minutes later, 10K MR points in my account.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: US Plat; AA; DL
Originally Posted by afsalva
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ng-insite.html

For downloads prior to 5/31/2011, although there have been quite a few success reports from people who downloaded the toolbar (or merely claimed to) even after that date. Lots of reports of non-successful requests as well.

~oiuyt

edit: beat to the post while searching for the link.

Last edited by oiuyt; Sep 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:47 pm

How would they know when you downloaded insite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.