Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long do Amex Platinum benefits last after CC is cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by captaindomon
My question as well. I mean, it would make sense if you wanted to cancel and then use the benefits a week later for a big trip or something. But do you really want to use the benefits for multiple years, without paying the fee? Doesn't that seem somewhat an abuse of the system?
It's always fascinating how people can justify fraud based on a sliding scale of "fraudiness"

Actually, no, it doesn't make sense for you to "cancel and and then use the benefits a week later for a big trip or something." That is absolutely no less fraudulent than canceling and using it for years; fraud is fraud.

What would make sense is waiting the week for your "big trip" and then canceling afterwords if you no longer need the features and benefits of the card.

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:39 pm

the priority pass card is good for a 3 year membership given at the time of signing up for amex platinum, so i'm not necessarily sure that they would actively cancel it just for cancelling the platinum card...otherwise why would it be for a three year membership?

a related question would be what happens after 3 years of having the platinum card...i wonder if the priority pass goes away
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by flltravel
Here is the link for amex site.
It is a separate card. To get the card, click on get started and follow the instructions.
https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...umprioritypass
Thanks!! I have a big trip coming up an I just ordered mine. Now I just hope it arrives in time. You would think a company like Amex would automatically send these out since they promote that it comes with the card. I had assumed my card would get me access to all the lounges.

Just playing devil's advocate, but if you canceled your card would you never use Global Entry any longer?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by japaik
...why would it be for a three year membership?
The same reason that a credit card with an annual fee may have an expiration date two or more years in the future: to reduce the cost of manufacturing and mailing replacement cards. The expiration date doesn't relieve the responsibility to pay the fees.

Originally Posted by swat16
Just playing devil's advocate, but if you canceled your card would you never use Global Entry any longer?
American Express pays a fee each time you use the Priority Pass card, but pays nothing when you use the Global Entry kiosk.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
It's always fascinating how people can justify fraud based on a sliding scale of "fraudiness"

Actually, no, it doesn't make sense for you to "cancel and and then use the benefits a week later for a big trip or something." That is absolutely no less fraudulent than canceling and using it for years; fraud is fraud.

What would make sense is waiting the week for your "big trip" and then canceling afterwords if you no longer need the features and benefits of the card.

Regards
Touche.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:41 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Also, since your Priority Pass card is actively linked to your Amex for the purpose of the $27 guest charge, it is conceivable that Amex may proactively reach out to PP to have the account closed.

I have heard reports of some lounges taking a carbon imprint of the Priority Pass card, but when I used a lounge at PVG a few weeks ago, the card was actively swiped. (Thus, it may be conceivable that the account is validated at that point.) Further, the $27 guest charge was billed to my Amex by PP within days.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Amex sends a cancellation notice to Priority Pass when you cancel your card. Priority Pass will send you a letter notifying you of what Amex did. Priority Pass will offer one year of complimentary Standard Membership if you provide them with updated billing information, or other membership levels at a discounted price for one year.

The Priority Pass will be invalid unless you take action.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:30 am
mia

Originally Posted by jgsx
...one year of complimentary Standard Membership...
Standard Membership

This low cost plan is designed for the traveler who wants the security of access when needed with a low annual fee - just US$99. After a visit to a participating lounge a fee of just US$27 per person, per visit is charged to the member’s designated payment card.

https://www.prioritypass.com/Join/What-it-Costs.cfm
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
Standard Membership

This low cost plan is designed for the traveler who wants the security of access when needed with a low annual fee - just US$99. After a visit to a participating lounge a fee of just US$27 per person, per visit is charged to the member’s designated payment card.

https://www.prioritypass.com/Join/What-it-Costs.cfm
So Amex gives me the card but I have to pay $27 every time I want to use it? The T&C said the cardholder gets complimentary access but you're saying otherwise?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by swat16
So Amex gives me the card but I have to pay $27 every time I want to use it?
No. The Priority Pass membership provided by American Express allows you to enter the lounge at their expense, but you will be billed $27 for each guest. However, if you cancel your Platinum Card (the topic of this thread), it appears Priority Pass will offer to convert your account to a Standard Membership, and then you would pay $27 per person per visit.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
Not sure if the OP really wanted to commit fraud. He could have asked the question to be more in line with this: You need the AMEX card to obtain certain benefits. But you only need this ONCE and they do not necessarily expire immediately but possibly at a later date (like the SPG gold status ?). So how soon after cancellation of the card does the PP expire?

From the other posters it is clear that the PP does expire immediately and you cannot/shouldnot/betternot use it once you cancel AMEX
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by jgsx
Amex sends a cancellation notice to Priority Pass when you cancel your card. Priority Pass will send you a letter notifying you of what Amex did. Priority Pass will offer one year of complimentary Standard Membership if you provide them with updated billing information, or other membership levels at a discounted price for one year.

The Priority Pass will be invalid unless you take action.
Didn't get this. When I cancelled my plat amex it took about 5 days to get a letter saying my PP card was worthless and destroy it. No complimentary anything.

My SPG is still gold though. That didn't revert.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
One interesting thing is that the Plat card gets you into the express security lane at YYZ. They obviously don't swipe your card in the security line. The one and only time I used that, I in fact only flashed the card at them, they didn't even look at the expiration date. But I could let it expire (in fact I will) and probably use the priority lane at YYZ at least until the card's expiration date in 2015.

However, anything the card is swiped for you'd obviously lose, for example, using the Premium Plaza Lounge at YYZ.

As for Global Entry, GOES itself is not a benefit of Plat, they merely reimburse your fee. If your Plat card is no longer active when your GOES card expires, you'll have to pay the renewal fee yourself.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Didn't get this. When I cancelled my plat amex it took about 5 days to get a letter saying my PP card was worthless and destroy it. No complimentary anything.

My SPG is still gold though. That didn't revert.
So, about 15 months ago I cancelled my Canadian Business Platinum card. And today I received in the mail a brand new Priority Pass card compliments of American Express. It urges me to "continue enjoying Priority Pass" and that as "an American Express Platinum Cardmember the US$99 annual fee for standard membership is waived..."

Make of that what you will. I have no opportunity upcoming to test what would happen if I attempted to use it, so I'm just going to contact Priority Pass directly to cancel.

Also, my SPG Gold held straight through to this year.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:06 pm

Priority Pass Select

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can continue to use your priority pass select that you get as a platinum card holder after you cancel your account.

I canceled my platinum account in December and my PPS is still valid until 2013 would I still be able to use it or is that also canceled because it was issued by AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.