Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Credit Line Reallocation - Again available [2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Credit Line Reallocation - Again available [2011]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Online Credit Limit Transfer

Can someone please confirm that Credit Limit Transfer feature is still available online? I only have 4 options listed under Profile->Account Management->Manage Credit Limit: CL Increase, Check Balance Transfer, Spending Ability, Declined Charges.

I am trying to move some credit from HH card to newly opened Blue Cash card. I don’t know exactly when my HH card was first opened but the earliest transaction is dated 08/10/2013. I read that they require to have card opened for 13 months before it is eligible for moving CL to another card, but it appears that my HH card meets this requirement.

Has anyone managed to move CL by calling when the option wasn't available online?

UPDATE: I found the answer to my own question on another blog, so I'll post it here for the benefit of anyone else who might be interested. "From Account should be 13 months old and To Account should be 60 days old to transfer the limit" So in my case I just opened Blue Cash card few days ago and therefore it's not eligible for CL reallocation.

Last edited by Kpoxa; Oct 7, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Can someone please confirm that Credit Limit Transfer feature is still available online? I only have 4 options listed under Profile->Account Management->Manage Credit Limit: CL Increase, Check Balance Transfer, Spending Ability, Declined Charges.

I am trying to move some credit from HH card to newly opened Blue Cash card. I don’t know exactly when my HH card was first opened but the earliest transaction is dated 08/10/2013. I read that they require to have card opened for 13 months before it is eligible for moving CL to another card, but it appears that my HH card meets this requirement.

Has anyone managed to move CL by calling when the option wasn't available online?

UPDATE: I found the answer to my own question on another blog, so I'll post it here for the benefit of anyone else who might be interested. "From Account should be 13 months old and To Account should be 60 days old to transfer the limit" So in my case I just opened Blue Cash card few days ago and therefore it's not eligible for CL reallocation.
My SPG card is about as old as yours opened 08/2013. I'm trying to transfer limits from it to Blue Cash and it isn't available. My OBC card is more than 60 days old. Strange, Maybe my billing cycle needs to close on SPG this month for it to be officially 13 months old.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fuerza
My SPG card is about as old as yours opened 08/2013. I'm trying to transfer limits from it to Blue Cash and it isn't available. My OBC card is more than 60 days old. Strange, Maybe my billing cycle needs to close on SPG this month for it to be officially 13 months old.
I also saw the reallocation option no longer showing online - I saw the option was there back in August when my SPG was not even 12 months old. A phone rep easily moved the line for me when I called. The only information the rep needed was your stated income. New credit lines showed up online within 10 minutes. A letter confirmed the reallocation arrived in 2 days.

They count EXACT days from when the card was opened. I was given exactly from when I could move the CL fr4om SPG to Blue Cash which they also said it requires to be over 60 days old.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Just spoke to a CSR who informed me that the 13 month rule is in place. I assume this is so that they don't have some of use moving credit and then closing the card to avoid the annual fee, which is exactly what I was doing. It would have been nice to have known this from the first CSR I spoke to, who was in the Phillipines and just told me I had to wait a week. Will AMEX do a credit line increase without a pull?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:32 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Credit limit reallocation works

I just wanted to verify it works as i just did it over the phone the agent was a bit confused but they got a section actually called credit re allocation on their display so if you mention that they might be able to do it.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by patriots68
... Will AMEX do a credit line increase without a pull?
Yes. I believe it goes by the last soft pull they did on your Experian credit report.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Getting frustrated with Amex regarding credit limit reallocation. Card reached 13 months yesterday/today and the move to card is over 8 months old. Still getting the 7-10 day message from the live chat reps. Not sure why moving a limit is so difficult. It's not like I'm asking for a CLI.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by Reid
Getting frustrated with Amex regarding credit limit reallocation. Card reached 13 months yesterday/today and the move to card is over 8 months old. Still getting the 7-10 day message from the live chat reps. Not sure why moving a limit is so difficult. It's not like I'm asking for a CLI.
Just call them until you speak with a rep that can do this for you. Its frustrating but in the end worth it.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:07 pm

Just another data point...

My oldest active card is 2007(Blue Sky converted into BCP back in Nov 13). I applied for an OBC and they gave me a low credit limit(5k) compared to my delta gold card(18k) and my BCP(13k). I called to inquire about xfering CL to new card ASAP and was told the policy is both accounts in question have to be 13 months old but if asked the rep activating my card they "should" be able to transfer some CL from my BCP because I've been a customer so long. I'll find out here sometime this week.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
I tried to move CLI from my DL (13 months old) to my SPG (6 months old) and was denied because the SPG card was too new even though when I first inquired about doing the CLI transfer, the CSR said both cards were qualified. So I went through transfer motions with the CSR only to get the 7-10 day message from the rep at the end of the call. I will try again with my Hilton card (3 years old) because I am trying to close my DL card within the next couple of weeks.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Just call them until you speak with a rep that can do this for you. Its frustrating but in the end worth it.
Ended up switching the SPG Card to the Delta Platinum Card. That way I can earn 20k MQM on the Platinum, 30k MQM on the Reserve, and some more from actual travel. Should be close to making platinum next year.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Anyone been able to figure out how to move credit online, with the new Amex redesign? Its no longer an option under any of my cards...
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by daiseee
Anyone been able to figure out how to move credit online, with the new Amex redesign? Its no longer an option under any of my cards...
The below article has a link that goes to the reallocation page:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/how-to...rican-express/
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold

This just worked perfectly for me to reallocate from an old Blue account to my 60 day old Everyday Preferred account. Updated almost immediately
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:37 pm

Thank you! Now where can I find the online live chat with an AMEX agent..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.