Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long does it usually take for USA MR points to post ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long does it usually take for USA MR points to post ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

AMEX has the rather perplexing practice of giving your points to you when the next bill posts. However, should you need your points urgently, I have found agents to expedite depositing the points.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gldfinger
... points are pending until both the statement is generated and the balance due is paid in full. Both have occurred.
Points do not become automatically available until the next statement is generated, the statement which reflects your payment.

When you earn points from spending with your Card, they initially appear on your billing statement as pending. They only become available as redeemable points after a full monthly billing cycle has passed, provided that you have paid your current bill.
https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...=footer-tandc#

Scroll down to: See Membership Rewards Program FAQs
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:37 pm

How long does it take to get the sign on bonus?

I met the $1k req during the 1st month and paid the statement in full. Did not make any purchases during the 2nd bill cycle.

1st statement had no mention of the points - 2nd said 0 points. When logged in I saw roughly 1100 pts - when will I get the sign on bonus?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sciconf
I met the $1k req during the 1st month and paid the statement in full. Did not make any purchases during the 2nd bill cycle.

1st statement had no mention of the points - 2nd said 0 points. When logged in I saw roughly 1100 pts - when will I get the sign on bonus?
What card? What bonus? Are you sure you qualify for the bonus?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is no way to predict when bonus points will post. If they did not post as soon as the spend threshold was met, and they did not post after the statement on which the first payment was reflected, -and- if they are not shown online as "pending", you should call to inquire because the bonus offer may not be attached to the account.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
During my last billing period I spent $6,000+ (large % of that in bonus categories) prior to my last statement closing two days ago. Pending points now show 4,304. Is this normal? Will the pending points show up later or do I have a problem?
Old May 21, 2015, 4:18 am

AmEx delaying posting MR points by a billing cycle?

So American Express makes you wait additional billing cycle (i.e. an additional month after current statement closes) for you to use your points from current billing cycle...

... so is this just American Express trying to work around the 30-day annual fee refund rule? Obviously, you can't get your entire AF refunded if you want to use the welcome bonus points because you'll have to wait for an additional 30 days after your first statement closes.

I believe only AmEx is doing this (not Citi or Chase)....
Old May 21, 2015, 7:38 pm

I tried the online chat in attempt to get the chat agent to post the bonus points to be used right away, but the online agent said the bonus points can NOT be accelerated (only "normal" points can).... I am not sure if he's just BS-ing, but I guess I should try another agent again...
Old May 22, 2015, 1:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I tried the online chat in attempt to get the chat agent to post the bonus points to be used right away, but the online agent said the bonus points can NOT be accelerated (only "normal" points can).... I am not sure if he's just BS-ing, but I guess I should try another agent again...
Which bonus points are you referring? Min spend or bonus points that you might earn for dining and/or airfare?
Old May 22, 2015, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Which bonus points are you referring? Min spend or bonus points that you might earn for dining and/or airfare?
the welcome bonus, in my case, 50000 points... minimum spend was done within the first month.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:20 am
Suspended

the welcome bonus, in my case, 50000 points... minimum spend was done within the first month.
I've never experienced a min bonus that was held back until next billing cycle. They always post within 5 business days of meeting min spend.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:36 am

When they feel like it . PRG took two statements and they're refusing to release bonus points on BRG until two statements as well, citing "points are not vested." DHs PRG took two statements and BRG one week before the first statement. I had to chat with them recently about a concern on his account and they offered to release his current pending points since he's such a great customer
Old May 22, 2015, 3:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by diseased
When they feel like it . PRG took two statements and they're refusing to release bonus points on BRG until two statements as well, citing "points are not vested."
In general, whenever a CC company doesn't give me the points that are rightfully mine, I call their bluff and say "Welp lets go ahead and close down the card then." Almost always, the person on the other end of the phone poops their pants and gives in.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold

Up until 2 years ago they would always honor a request to advance points already earned but not yet credited. But then they announced they would stop doing that and I believe now it is very much the exception and not the rule for them to so.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldspan
Up until 2 years ago they would always honor a request to advance points already earned but not yet credited. But then they announced they would stop doing that and I believe now it is very much the exception and not the rule for them to so.
As long as your balance is paid, they will likely honor your request to advance your points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.