Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

50000 Membership Reward Points for business gold card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50000 Membership Reward Points for business gold card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bonesaz
Does this mean all the spend needs to be at the online retailers or through the bonus points mall?
No, the terms include this definition and lists transactions which are not eligible:

"Eligible Spending" includes purchases of goods or services, which purchases have not been returned or otherwise credited to your Card account: it does NOT include fees, Finance Charges, Balance Transfers, Cash Advances or similar means of accessing your Card account, or the purchase of American Express Travelers Cheques, American Express Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents.

I do not see any refence to online merchants or the Bonus Points Mall which modifies this definition.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Confirmation from Amex customer service:

=================================

Response (xxx xxx) 07/12/2010 08:34 AM
Dear YYYY Y YYYYYY,

Yes, you are correct. You will earn 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend $10,000.00 between April 14, 2010, and December 31, 2010.

The Membership Rewards points will be credited to your account with 6-8 weeks after spending requirement is met.

I hope this is to your satisfaction and appreciate your membership since wwww.

Sincerely, xxxx xxxxx Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services

======================

I feel slightly better now.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:32 pm

That helps, I signed up for the card and will proceed with accumulating some spend on it. I was just concerned since it was a bit unclear to me and I wanted to be sure it was any purchases that were eligible, other than the ones Amex noted like fees, etc. Better safe than sorry in my book.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:00 pm

Does anyone know if this card has the bonus when you transfer points to your Frequent Flyer account? I also have the Starwood Amex and you get a 5k mile bonus when you transfer 20k points so it works out to 1.25 miles per point in some airline programs, not all of them.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by Bonesaz
Does anyone know if this card has the bonus when you transfer points to your Frequent Flyer account? I also have the Starwood Amex and you get a 5k mile bonus when you transfer 20k points so it works out to 1.25 miles per point in some airline programs, not all of them.
Everything I've seen seems to indicate it transfers 1:1 to their supported programs. The SPG feature is a nice one but doesn't seem to be replicated here.

I'm hoping from promos come along from time to time that incentive transfers.

In the meantime, the program is mostly a backup reservoir for me, to be used when the other more limited programs I use won't suffice.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:27 pm
mia

Originally Posted by msp2msy
...transfers 1:1 to their supported programs....
Correct, Membership Rewards cards issued in the USA transfer 1:1 to airline partners who use "miles" as their program currency unit. Transfer ratios to hotel programs vary.

Membership Rewards offers some advantages over the Starwood program. Most important is instant transfers to BA, CO, DL and VS (there may be others, but this covers all three alliances.) With SPG there is the risk that the award seats will be gone by the time you transfer.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:05 pm

Great, thanks Mia and msp2msy for your answers.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:56 pm

I just applied and was approved once I called the customer service to confirm some information. I had applied for a Starwood Amex Business Card last week and was approved for that too. Thanks Amex!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Just went to the link, which stated that the offer is closed. Unless I'm doing something wrong or the link has changed, should I assume I'm too late?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB
Same here

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Just went to the link, which stated that the offer is closed. Unless I'm doing something wrong or the link has changed, should I assume I'm too late?
Oh well I guess I should have applied when I first saw the advertisement
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:50 am

If you use the pay with points for an airline ticket, does 50,000 points = a $500 credit? or is the value more?

Do you earn miles/can you have elite upgrades on a paid with points AMEX airline ticket?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:57 am
mia

Originally Posted by bmw303
...50,000 points = a $500 credit?...Do you earn miles/can you have elite upgrades on a paid with points AMEX airline ticket?
Yes on both accounts. Many people would obtain $1,000+ value by transferring to an airline frequent flyer program and redeeming for a mileage upgrade or expensive ticket.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:44 am

so do we have official confirmation that even non first time card holders who got this card will get the 50k MR pts when they spend 10k?

thnx!
r
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mikey110890
Oh well I guess I should have applied when I first saw the advertisement
In the experience of MR members, do these 50K offers come and go or was this one a one-shot deal?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
In the experience of MR members, do these 50K offers come and go or was this one a one-shot deal?
I don't know about the Business card, but I signed up for the Personal Gold about a year and 1/2 ago in a targeted 50k points offer. So, for the personal card, you need to be targeted to get 50k points (for much less spend), so I'd imagine that the Business doesn't always offer the 50k points either.

However, somebody else with more experience would have to answer more definitively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.