Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How long to wait to re-apply for Amex card after being shut down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long to wait to re-apply for Amex card after being shut down?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Is there a reason your friend needs a card issued by American Express rather than another bank?

Has your friend looked at his credit reports to see how American Express reported the closed accounts? Does he know his FICO scores? Has he sucessfully obtained credit from other card issuers? Is he prepared to give American Express access to his income tax returns and company financial statements?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Is there a reason your friend needs a card issued by American Express rather than another bank?

Has your friend looked at his credit reports to see how American Express reported the closed accounts? Does he know his FICO scores? Has he sucessfully obtained credit from other card issuers? Is he prepared to give American Express access to his income tax returns and company financial statements?
He wants the Starwood card, as he finds those points to be most valuable.
He is willing to provide his tax returns.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
It must make a big difference if the prior account was closed for delinquency type of reasons, or fully current, not even review--no reason at all.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:40 am

Going thru

Originally Posted by moefl
Does anyone have actual experience with being shut down due to not cooperating with a financial review, and then waiting a year or so to reapply, and then got approved?
Going thru the same thing. Nothing has changed on my report but they took it from 8000 to 800 wow. Crazy. But kicker is that when he asked how long have I had experience making candles. I told him 12 years . Ok but I just started my business. So how can I prove 3 years ? I risk account issues now.
I want to clarify I am the one that called them asking about why they decreased my credit amount that much. Then they asked for review to be done if I wanted it changed I have 14 days to give them the information granted this was a business account and a business card they gave me I had a personal Amazon and a personal card for a very long time.

Last edited by Crawn1180; Feb 18, 2024 at 5:34 pm
Old Feb 18, 2024, 7:46 am
mia

Originally Posted by Crawn1180
....they took it from 8000 to 800 .... So how can I prove 3 years ?
Welcome to Flyertalk. Your post is a bit cryptic. Please clarify:

1) Do you mean that American Express reduced your credit limit from $8000 to $800?

2) Is American Express asking for evidence of your past three years' income? Even though you recently started your business, did you have personal or household income in previous years?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:32 pm

Income

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. Your post is a bit cryptic. Please clarify:

1) Do you mean that American Express reduced your credit limit from $8000 to $800?

2) Is American Express asking for evidence of your past three years' income? Even though you recently started your business, did you have personal or household income in previous years?
Isn't it personal and household basically the same? No they're never asked me about my business before I had a regular Amazon card and they changed it to business card along with a business account. I already told them I don't have business finances as I am trying to get it going. Experience is what the customer service guy asked me about . I have that answer and then he said that they needed that stuff in 14 days read a policy really fast and that was it. Hung up.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Crawn1180
....I had a regular Amazon card and they changed it to business card ....
They saw that you were using a personal account for business purposes. If you send them nothing they will close the account. If you send them what you can, they may keep it open. They are primarily interested in your personal income, but you need to show them what your source(s) of income will be until the business can support you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.