Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer MR to Marcopolo Club Miles (cathay pacific cx)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I am new to Amex membership and I have several questions here...

I need about 12k miles to upgrade my green marcopolo club to silver tier. I have about 20k Amex MR and I want to transfer it to my marcopolo club miles. I know there is no direct solution to solve my problem, but after researching cathay marcopolo club is a member of One World. I am looking for hope via American Airlines to transfer my miles. Can anyone help with my case? I currently never fly with AA and I don't have any AA membership. Thank you very much
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Transferring miles into the account is highly unlikely to get you status. Transfers are great for redeeming rewards but rarely work for status tiers.

There's also no good way to go from AmEx MR to AA nor from AA to Cathay.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If I understand correctly, Cathay Pacific operates two separate programs. Marco Polo Club is the elite status program, miles can only be earned by flying. Asia Miles is the rewards program. Any points transferred from another program would be added to your Asia Miles balance, but would not affect your Marco Polo Club balance.

In any event, the USA version of Membership Rewards does not offer transfers to Asia Miles.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Hi zict,

Welcome to Flyertalk. As sbm12 and mia have astutely mentioned, transferring the miles will likely not have any affect on your elite status. If you're still intersted in moving (US) AmEx Membership Rewards points to Cathay Pacific, then you could look up some options here.

It looks like your best bet is to route the AmEx points via Starwood Preferred Guest, and then into Cathay Pacific. Unfortunately, your 12,000 AmEx points would only net around 4,000 CP miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.