USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

So after much contemplation on the Centurion card I was on the phone today taking care of a bill and just decided to get transfered and apply. Needless to say I was told requirements have changed 2 weeks ago and they no longer have a criteria its all invite only! Spoke to 2 different people and was told the same exact thing...

I am pissed so I went to cancel all my cards and of-course they hung up. I know they did it on purpose, I couldn't stay on the phone that long so I will be calling back after I get my credit card situation moved around.

I could care less about the card its the miss information and ........ I have gotten from them lately.

I have supported them in all my post in the past I am done, there goes another customer
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:55 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
MODERATOR SAYS:

I have given this thread a more descriptive title.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: Biz Plat, Biz Cent etc
I wonder if this isn't their polite way of saying "NO" . I would think they would be happy to take $7500 off you
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

They said it was something they decided to do 2 weeks ago, ........!
So I argued if I called 2 weeks ago I would be ok, and they said yep!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by pannhead51
I wonder if this isn't their polite way of saying "NO" . I would think they would be happy to take $7500 off you
I assumed the $5000 opening fee was to weed out all of those "Bob in Accounting who purchases all the company printers on his personal card" from qualifying.

I can't imagine that after the $5000 first-year charge that it would have left many people that just get it just the flash. I'm not sure what to think about it moving to an invite-only thing - if you aren't going to reward people that earn a ton of money for your brand and are willing enough to kick down $5k on top of that, who are you going to target?

Sweet Jebus I hope that it isn't going to be instead targeted to the Brittanys of the world, or all those godforsaken actors on The Hills.

Gimme my Cent account printed on a plain 'ol green card, I'd love that "stealth" option.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I assumed the $5000 opening fee was to weed out all of those "Bob in Accounting who purchases all the company printers on his personal card" from qualifying.

I can't imagine that after the $5000 first-year charge that it would have left many people that just get it just the flash. I'm not sure what to think about it moving to an invite-only thing - if you aren't going to reward people that earn a ton of money for your brand and are willing enough to kick down $5k on top of that, who are you going to target?

Sweet Jebus I hope that it isn't going to be instead targeted to the Brittanys of the world, or all those godforsaken actors on The Hills.

Gimme my Cent account printed on a plain 'ol green card, I'd love that "stealth" option.
I can assure you in this economy this will change.

Unless ofcourse they are going the Platinum route 10 years back and coming out with a new product??????
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by platinumPizza
I can assure you in this economy this will change.

Unless ofcourse they are going the Platinum route 10 years back and coming out with a new product??????
Have you tried calling again to make sure the first agent was correct?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chewy3
Have you tried calling again to make sure the first agent was correct?
I talked to a new account rep. got upset asked to get transfered to cancel she told me she would see what she could do instead just cold transfered me back to another rep that told me the same thing... but than again she said she was sitting right next to the guy I spoke with.

If this is not true someone will get fired!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond)
I don't blame them. To keep it exclusive it really has to be invitation only. It's possible that Amex has been following flyertalk especially threads where advice is sought to maximise spending just to qualify.
Platinumpizza, when you eventually get invited then you'll be glad they changed the rules.
In Oz, it's by invitation only and when it arrives .........
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
I don't blame them. To keep it exclusive it really has to be invitation only. It's possible that Amex has been following flyertalk especially threads where advice is sought to maximise spending just to qualify.
Platinumpizza, when you eventually get invited then you'll be glad they changed the rules.
I aggree its just how it all went down...

Its frustrating to say the least when you move your charges around and than get smacked in the face to say too bad? They said they may have one more rounds of invites by the end of the year, if I keep it we shall see.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:58 am

duplicate post
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
...... you get a crappy black cardboard box, a deep scratch on the rear of the card across the strip and a missing 120 booklet said to contain all the pertinent information about the card. And all this on top of the 20 day wait to receive the card, and 4 missed delivery dates.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by platinumPizza
So after much contemplation on the Centurion card I was on the phone today taking care of a bill and just decided to get transfered and apply. Needless to say I was told requirements have changed 2 weeks ago and they no longer have a criteria its all invite only! Spoke to 2 different people and was told the same exact thing...

I am pissed so I went to cancel all my cards and of-course they hung up. I know they did it on purpose, I couldn't stay on the phone that long so I will be calling back after I get my credit card situation moved around.

I could care less about the card its the miss information and ........ I have gotten from them lately.

I have supported them in all my post in the past I am done, there goes another customer
Count yourself lucky you didn't get one!
I've had the card for quite some time and my conclusion is that it's just wallet jewelery ... which I don't need.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 7:24 am

I reckon PlatinumPizza is a catchy handle......if you got the Centurion Card, what would you change it to?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz-kin
I reckon PlatinumPizza is a catchy handle......if you got the Centurion Card, what would you change it to?
blackpizza? burnedpizza? pizzatit?metalpizza? lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.