Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Converting flight credit to travel credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond

I’m sure there is a thread but couldn’t find it, just cancelled 2 tickets to MBJ $1092 total, I now have flight credit expiring 8/31- no trips planned until fall.
Very helpful agent said to buy 2 of the cheapest one way tickets I can find (OMA-ORD $69), this would create a $954 trip credit that would good for a year. My question is the year from today or a year from when I purchase the $69 trip; if the latter I should obviously not book the bogus trip until late August?

Thinking out load, probably don’t even have to book out of OMA, I assume there is a $29 one way ticket somewhere?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Just book a dummy fare and cancel it within 24 hours. This worked for my wife and I. You may have to do a bit of HUCA, but should do the trick. Anyone else feel free to chime in if this has since changed.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
Just book a dummy fare and cancel it within 24 hours. This worked for my wife and I. You may have to do a bit of HUCA, but should do the trick. Anyone else feel free to chime in if this has since changed.
Thanks
Not sure but I think I only need to buy one ticket (PHX-LAX for $49?) to trigger a travel credit for $1050
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT PLT 3MM+, AC 35K, Bonvoy, HHonors, IHG
FWIW booking a $49 LA-SF ticket did the trick for me.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:55 am

Just to be clear - if I have a $1,000 flight credit, if I apply that to a $100 new booking the $900 remainder converts to a travel credit (good for an additional 1 year) and doesn't just stay as a flight credit?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChrisM99
Just to be clear - if I have a $1,000 flight credit, if I apply that to a $100 new booking the $900 remainder converts to a travel credit (good for an additional 1 year) and doesn't just stay as a flight credit?
It should. Just double-check with the phone AAgent, they'll be able to confirm in like 2 seconds.
ChrisM99 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:13 pm

This is covered in the terms and conditions

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp

• If the ticket price is less than the value of the Flight Credit, you can only use the value of Flight Credit needed for the current booking while remaining value will be issued as travel credit for future reservations.
Surprisingly quite generous. The IT effort to retain the original expiration dates for the unused amounts must have been overwhelming.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:19 pm

Does it matter what you then do with the booked cheap flight? Cancel or no show? And does the travel credit just post to your account or do they mail you one of those hilarious multi-layer vouchers?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
What is the best way to find the cheapest OW AA flight? I had a $49 BE flight PHX-LAS but they said it has to be booked in MC per the terms of the original ticket. I did not see that in the terms of using Flight Credits that it has to be in the same cabin level. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.