Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I hate AA already... (award availability complaint)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate AA already... (award availability complaint)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by josmul123
Seat selection for a fee is still seat selection. You can't even pay to select a seat when you book basic economy.
Yes, I said Basic Economy was strictly worse in this regard. But if AA wants to force most regular economy purchasers to pay for seat selection, they should just implement that and be honest in their marketing instead of the current ridiculous situation in which only middle seats are available without a fee. More generally, this isn't a situation that you can chalk up to "well everyone does that" because if you pay a regular economy fare on United or Delta there's actually a reasonable array of seats initially made available to regular economy customers.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:49 am

I usually fly Southwest and all flights show how much of my Rapid Rewards I can use - I can choose any flight I want.

I do not fly a lot, so I am not sure if this is the same thing. Our whole family just uses their Southwest cards, and depending on how much they spend (utility bills, groceries, gas - then pay off at the end of the month), they have earned companion passes.

Are other airline rewards different?

Luckily, Southwest travels to most of our destinations and flies out of our two closest airports. I know that can be an issue.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I ended up buying two one way tickets down there for 25,000 miles plus $11 or whatever, and then I purchased two, one way tickets back. Overall each of us is paying $240 or so.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Please tell me you grabbed this....
Yes I did, why?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, you can choose any flight on Southwest that you want, but the reward pricing is dynamic and reflects how much the cash fare for the flight is... somewhat, but not exactly similar to what AA does with MilesAAver vs. AAnytime awards.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:03 am
formerly PHLGrump

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Have never flown with them, already hate them.

Applied and was approved for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum. I wanted to close it and the rep said she could give me (2) free one day Admirals club passes if I spent $350 on the card within the next two months, so I said, "okay I'll book my trip to Florida in March with my miles and pay cash for the other."

I'm planning a trip for March and I'm sitting on 31,000-ish bonus miles that I've earned from the card.

Here are the problems:

1) The miles system is ridiculous. I get one choice of a terrible 6:59 pm flight out of my airport if I want to redeem MilesSaver (or whatever) from where I live. Really? One flight, why can't I choose any flight like on any normal airline? If I don't want to choose that one flight, I have to pay 30,000 miles per way. How ridiculous. Why does it cost 30,000 miles PER WAY.

2) Why can't I book a flight for myself with miles and pay cash for the other ticket on my itinerary? I don't have enough miles for both tickets, yet alone my own unless I can nit pick through and find two dates where the miles cost is actually normal..

3) Why is it when it asks me to choose seats NONE are available except ones you have to pay for.

Need help here folks.
In order to have AA's award redemption service mirror other airlines closest, you should have status too. That'll allow those premium seats to open up.

You're not crazy - AA's award availability is horrendous, but that's no secret.

Best bet is to set up ExpertFlyer.com alerts to let you know when award availability at the SAAver level opens.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

I guess i was just spoiled by Jet Blue last year.

It was 12.5k miles one way, 12.5k the other, and you could pick whatever seat and flight you wanted, except for the "more comfort" seats that cost a fixed rate more.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I ended up buying two one way tickets down there for 25,000 miles plus $11 or whatever, and then I purchased two, one way tickets back. Overall each of us is paying $240 or so.
Another option (possibly):

IF you frequently travel (once/year) with someone, you may consider the Delta Skymiles Platinum card from Amex with the $195 AF. *After* the first year, you get a Companion Certificate (coach) that's essentially a "bogo".

Depending upon where you fly to, the AF may be more than offset by the "free" companion ticket.

I used mine for a Key West (pre hurricane) ticket, so it "saved" me $570. If I factor in the $200 AF, then I guess it saved me $370.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hurnik
Another option (possibly):

IF you frequently travel (once/year) with someone, you may consider the Delta Skymiles Platinum card from Amex with the $195 AF. *After* the first year, you get a Companion Certificate (coach) that's essentially a "bogo".

Depending upon where you fly to, the AF may be more than offset by the "free" companion ticket.

I used mine for a Key West (pre hurricane) ticket, so it "saved" me $570. If I factor in the $200 AF, then I guess it saved me $370.
I've planned on getting the Delta Skymiles Plat for a while (a few weeks) but I'm actually considering the Reserve for lounge access and the first class companion ticket. Overall I think it's a better system because the credit cards have better benefits and then you have the ability to transfer from other cards into Delta through Citi and AMEX at 1:1.

Unfortunately I'm frozen under the 2/90 rule at the moment
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Southwest has the best rewards program of US airlines by far
/flame suit on
United is the second best
/flame suit off

hehe

Southwest is real straight forward - spend XX, get XX points, want a flight that costs XX - that costs XX points, straight conversion that you know ahead of time.

United hasn't devalued much and if you have the credit card you get last seat availability - or dang close. Saver awards are fairly plentiful - especially partner airlines (Star Alliance) to Asia. EU is hard for almost any airline saver awards right now it seems.

Delta and AA have devalued themselves into Oblivion

YMMV

Also - I have no knowledge of Alaska (Which a LOT of people like the program) and Jetblue mainly due to their small networks, I can't fly them for business regularly.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're not doing anything wrong, AA is hands down the worst when it comes to sAAver level domestic award availability. And March is a very busy time to Florida with spring breaks and cruise season, etc., so it's not surprising your desired flight isn't available.

And all AA awards are technically one-way, so you can book 2 one-ways on the outbound for both of you on the same itinerary, and pay for the return one-ways on a separate itinerary.
+1 on both counts.

AA has gone from best to worst in award and especially upgrade availability over the course of the past several years.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can find late March trips on DL for DTW-FLL from 15K miles RT. Granted, that's for mid-week departures rather than prime weekend dates. But for people who have some flexibility, there are some reasonable deals to be found.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Part of the reason why I collect airline pseudo-currency is that we're 1,000 miles away from aging parents, and I like having options other than the $900+ (expensive and tiny) home airport 'get up their tomorrow' airfare. When I price things out for those kinds of tickets (fortunately haven't had to go through booking often with them yet) I can usually find something on United for 25K miles plus close in booking fees, American is 25-37.5K plus close in fees, Delta will be in the 30-40K range plus $5, and then Southwest and its cash-based redemption can easily price out north of 70K points to get out of a local airport during tourist season.

Every program has its strengths and weaknesses based on home airport and normal travel patterns. Easy to slog on the SkyPeso, but I've had good luck with them for 'cheap' award redemptions for Economy flights to Europe. If you want J long haul with them though, then I get the Peso references because it quickly becomes a terrible program for that kind of thing.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Never had a problem redeeming AA miles for Europe - South Pacific in business class on CX, QF, QR etc. Nor for intra-Asia Y / J. But it's true it's like searching for a needle in a haystack trying to find a sAAver award for something useful in the US at the moment.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Never had a problem redeeming AA miles for Europe - South Pacific in business class on CX, QF, QR etc. Nor for intra-Asia Y / J. But it's true it's like searching for a needle in a haystack trying to find a sAAver award for something useful in the US at the moment.
Limited Due Diligence on AA's miles limitations when signing up for CC..why even bother signing up a BA/QR account to book partners' flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.