Wiki Posts
Search

AA adds PRG, BUD, VCE for Summer 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
AA adds PRG, BUD, VCE for Summer 2018

I didn't see a thread on this, only the discussion in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...2017-a-40.html thread.

FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines (NASDAQ:AAL) is giving its customers more access to Europe, with new summer service to Budapest (BUD) and Prague (PRG) from Philadelphia, and additional service to Venice (VCE) from Chicago, starting May 4, 2018.
http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...e/default.aspx

PHL-BUD/PRG with a 763
ORD-VCE with a 788

Bookings available 21 Aug 2017

Great news, and quite a surprise. Kudos to AA on these additions. ^
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree, I'm really happy about Prague and Budapest.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA
VCE is already flown from PHL.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
According to the times posted at AA, the ORD-VCE flight turn is four hours on the ground at VCE. So I wonder if it will return to PHL instead. Which would mean a 788 into PHL. As for PRG and BUD, I can make use of these flights. I used the JFK-BUD AA service when it existed. I'm somewhat surprised that BUD and PRG were chosen, but not WAW. And I wonder now that AB has filed for bankruptcy and its future looks dire, that we might see AA announce service to TXL.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
According to the times posted at AA, the ORD-VCE flight turn is four hours on the ground at VCE. So I wonder if it will return to PHL instead. Which would mean a 788 into PHL. As for PRG and BUD, I can make use of these flights. I used the JFK-BUD AA service when it existed. I'm somewhat surprised that BUD and PRG were chosen, but not WAW. And I wonder now that AB has filed for bankruptcy and its future looks dire, that we might see AA announce service to TXL.
I think AB's fall will prevent AA from attempting TXL, as they are partners.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DA201
I think AB's fall will prevent AA from attempting TXL, as they are partners.
Huh??? AB has the most flights between TXL and the United States (versus one each by DL--which is seasonal-- and UA). If the AB flghts cease, that's a sizeable supply gap in that market.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Huh??? AB has the most flights between TXL and the United States (versus one each by DL--which is seasonal-- and UA). If the AB flghts cease, that's a sizeable supply gap in that market.
Well, if AB is losing hundreds of million of euros every year, maybe those routes aren't profitable. Additionally, most of their long haul routes are from DUS, not TXL. TXL only has JFK, SFO, ORD, LAX, and MIA, while DUS has those along with RSW, BOS, MCO, and other Canadian/Caribbean cities.

DUS and TXL just don't have a ton of traffic, and as you may be able to tell by the cities I mentioned, a lot of the traffic that does exist is purely leisure. TATL wise, DUS will have 1x DL to ATL and 1x LH to EWR, while TXL will have 1x UA to EWR and seasonal 1x DL to JFK. I could see Condor adding TXL/DUS-MCO/FLL and that may be it. I would love to see AA service, but AA usually seems content transferring pax via LHR.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by DA201
I would love to see AA service, but AA usually seems content transferring pax via LHR.
Well you could have said the same about BUD and PRG, until AA announced BUD and PRG...
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If AB leaves OW, then TXL is no longer a hub for a OW partner. That seems to make TXL less likely as an AA destination.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Catbert10
If AB leaves OW, then TXL is no longer a hub for a OW partner. That seems to make TXL less likely as an AA destination.
I don't necessarily disagree, but then Ldnn1's point above applies to a degree as well. AA's focus is on Europe now, so, ya'never know what they add next (again, not to say I expect it.)
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:44 am

TXL seems hard to imagine, with or without a oneworld hub. It's obviously a huge market, but one that seems to favor Star. And especially if (when) Air Berlin ceases to exist, Lufthansa and/or Eurowings seem/s best positioned - for obvious reasons - to soak up all the latent demand, especially the premium traffic AA would presumably want.

Last edited by commavia; Aug 20, 2017 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
According to the times posted at AA, the ORD-VCE flight turn is four hours on the ground at VCE. So I wonder if it will return to PHL instead. Which would mean a 788 into PHL.
No, it will return to ORD. ORD, LAX and DFW are the 787 hubs for AA.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA,DL
AA don't have flight to TXL, because they wait for BER to open. And wait and wait....
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You realize the same could be said with regards to BUD and PRG, right?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

You realize the same could be said with regards to BUD and PRG, right?
A point made upthread as well.

Maybe this entire conversation, that started with this:
...I'm somewhat surprised that BUD and PRG were chosen, but not WAW. And I wonder now that AB has filed for bankruptcy and its future looks dire, that we might see AA announce service to TXL.
Could/would be more appropriate in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-2017-a.html

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 20, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.