Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Limiting # of Segments on Award Tickets as of 3 Aug 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Per OMAAT, AA is putting in place a segment limit for all award tickets:

As of today, American has added a new restriction to AAdvantage award tickets. Going forward, you’ll be allowed at most three segments on an AAdvantage award within the US and Canada, and at most four segments on an international AAdvantage award. Those limits are one-way, meaning you’d be allowed twice as many segments on a roundtrip.

I’m told that these changes are being implemented as they’re in line with American’s most direct routing rules, and allow them to “better support their partner airlines.”
Link: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...segment-limit/

Mods please move if this has already been reported and elsewhere.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't admire it, but observe that is a fairly long-standing Delta rule, too, in the same format: 3 for US/CAN, 4 for other international.

If AA implements a strict published fare rule for all awards, too, it may come to bite the more creative (or desperate) routings.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Will a ground transfer between co-terminals count as one of the permissible segments?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
I wouldn't really care except they seem to want to force more segments on us with their current inventory control practices.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EP
One of the business case assumptions for this -- especially on internationals limited to 4 -- was to force more paid US to Int'l gateways or a 2nd ticket at any any time redemption.

One of the the major impacts will be non gateways to say deep Asia 2 where one could easily have a say MSY DFW LAX HKG SIN KUL. Just one example. But u get my drift.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
One of the business case assumptions for this -- especially on internationals limited to 4 -- was to force more paid US to Int'l gateways or a 2nd ticket at any any time redemption.

One of the the major impacts will be non gateways to say deep Asia 2 where one could easily have a say MSY DFW LAX HKG SIN KUL. Just one example. But u get my drift.
Yeah I had a few like that, 24 hours in each of various cities, REP-KUL-HKG-TPE-ICN-NRT-SFO-LAX-JFK etc. Oh well. Good while it lasted.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AWARD SEGMENT LIMIT 3 Aug 2017: max 3 US-Cda, 4 max int'l.

AA has clamped a three segment limit for USA-Canada awards and a four segment limit on international awards if they are "intended" (not if aa.com or the CSR gives you a routing with more segments than you presumably want) effective immediately.

No discussion of Mexico or Caribbean awards - e.g. do 500 mile upgrade limitations apply to delineate the 3 vs 4 max segments? We'll have to find out as we go along.

From Lucky at One Mile at a Time (link)

You have to intend (my emphasis) to take the most direct routing, which is explained in the rules as follows: “The number of awards assessed should be determined by the customer’s intentions. If the indirect routing is booked at the customer’s request, multiple awards should apply using Pricing Override Options – Force Fare Breakpoint. If the routing is booked based on lack of award availability on direct routes, then an exception may be made, allowing Sabre to price as one award.”
More at OMAAT.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2017 at 12:19 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Also discussed in this thread from today:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-tickets.html
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:46 am

Most of the time I wouldn't even want so many domestic or international segments anyways.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Where this bites you is something like XXX-LAX-NRT-HKG-XXX.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Phasers
I'm confused. How would that bite you, since it is intl and 4 segments?

--woodstock
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Phasers
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
I'm confused. How would that bite you, since it is intl and 4 segments?

--woodstock
Because often the domestic nonstop to LAX isn't available, but a connection in ORD/DFW/PHX is?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Who's idea was multi-stops anyway? We haven't been permitted a direct or nearly so routing in years. The only routing we've been offered are something like Florida by way of Seattle and New York.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by swag
Because often the domestic nonstop to LAX isn't available, but a connection in ORD/DFW/PHX is?
But that won't be a problem, since that would fall under the exception mentioned above.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Djokison
But that won't be a problem, since that would fall under the exception mentioned above.
I haven't followed this all that closely yet-- which exception are you referring to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.