Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Not Allowed to Walk Toddler Between Classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Allowed to Walk Toddler Between Classes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by be001
-The baby was NOT crying when we walked. He was instead stopping at each row and waving to the person there with a big smile on his face. 99% waved back. The other 1% was asleep. I didnt feel this was bothering anyone and had it bothered anyone I would have stopped immediately. (On this trip we have been on planes before (air france) where the passengers didnt appreciate this) and planes (ANA) where people were coming to our seat just to visit him!)
Ha! Sounds like my 2yo. He does the same thing.

...seems you drew a bad flight crew. It happens.

I've flown with my spouse and 2 young kids a lot this year on AA/BA and we've had great crews that have been really friendly and helpful - in both J and Y cabins.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PHL
I didn't think is allowed, and I have rarely seen a coach passenger coming through the curtain to use the lav behind the cockpit. If they have, it would likely be with an FA's discretion due to overcrowding of coach lavs.
Sitting on 4C to phx now on a 321--the closed curtain right to my right side. Passenger after passenger from coach moving the curtain to use the F lav.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:21 pm

I'm curious as to why you walked through the galley, and not around it?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sitting on 4C to phx now on a 321--the closed curtain right to my right side. Passenger after passenger from coach moving the curtain to use the F lav.
I have been on very few flights where the cabin crew have actually enforced the lav rules. Just another way AA devalues itself.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by yankeezulu
I don't have kids but this post made my day. It's always fun to see their inquisitiveness about things we take for granted.
Glad my comment made you happy!

Originally Posted by Geordie405
This is so true - especially toddlers!

Speaking personally I would have no problem whatsoever with the OP taking their child for a short walk to burn off some energy and see their aunt - and that applies whether I was in coach or in first class.
Glad to see others agree with me.

-The baby was NOT crying when we walked. He was instead stopping at each row and waving to the person there with a big smile on his face. 99% waved back. The other 1% was asleep. I didnt feel this was bothering anyone and had it bothered anyone I would have stopped immediately. (On this trip we have been on planes before (air france) where the passengers didnt appreciate this) and planes (ANA) where people were coming to our seat just to visit him!)

-This was our first walk down the aisle, 6 hours into the flight.
Your toddler sounds delightful. We have had some good experiences in similar situations -- it's gratifying when strangers are friendly in these circumstances.

Originally Posted by econometrics
Ha! Sounds like my 2yo. He does the same thing.

...seems you drew a bad flight crew. It happens.

I've flown with my spouse and 2 young kids a lot this year on AA/BA and we've had great crews that have been really friendly and helpful - in both J and Y cabins.
Ditto. BA in J were especially nice, but we also had a very good experience on DL on a regional flight recently too.

BTW, this discussion about toddlers and planes reminds me of this article from the NYT in March. I smiled when I read it! A budding flyertalker?

Last edited by salut0; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:33 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:41 pm

For PHX-WAS I booked my wife and kids in F and I'll be in steerage. I planned on switching seats with wife about half way to give her a break. Is that kosher??
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
My personal opinion:

Some of us have to tolerate small children on planes, and some of us revile the self indulgent, self centered, DYKWIA that accompany them, masquerading as "parents", who think their little darling is too special for mere "rules".

What gives someone the right, that by giving birth, that they have to share that little piece of "sunshine"?

Before dragging out the pitchforks, ask yourself... does the shoe fit?

OBTW-I have 3. All over 25 now. When #2 misbehaved in F as a 6 year old, I took him to lav, explained his bad behaviour, and told him he had to appologize to every pax in F for his bad behaviour.
jediwho likes this.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I guess I'll say it if no one else will.

When I'm on a relatively long flight, I spend my time listening to music, reading or watching movies on my tablet. My motto is: "I promise to leave you alone, so please leave me alone."

If your child had stopped at my row, waived and smiled, I would have waived and smiled back, not because I was charmed or had any interest in interacting with your child, but because I wouldn't want the child's feelings hurt by reacting the way I'd really feel; it's not his fault that he has disturbed me, but yours.

I'm quite certain I'm not the only person on a plane who feels this way. That there are people who would be charmed is fine -- they're the ones who voluntarily stopped by your seats to say hello. But please understand that people bring all kinds of personal attitudes on aircraft and, as a rule, uninvited intrusion is really inappropriate. Not everyone is interested in having their attention taken from whatever it is they are doing to make the time pass in whatever way works best for them when they're flying. At least for me, this is particularly true in coach which, at best, is an uncomfortable and unpleasant environment in which personal space is severely restricted.

You seem to know this, as you wrote, "we have been on planes before (air france) where the passengers didnt appreciate this." Well, that's not surprising. The French tend to be more reserved than Americans and have considerably less tolerance for discourtesy.

All parents seem to think their own children are special and endlessly fascinating. Please know that, to most strangers, they are not.

As for the FA, it's never appropriate for an FA to be rude. Perhaps the problem was that she perceived your actions to be rude or, worse, disruptive, and that was the reason for her attitude.
jediwho and muji like this.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PTravel

When I'm on a relatively long flight, I spend my time listening to music, reading or watching movies on my tablet. My motto is: "I promise to leave you alone, so please leave me alone."

If your child had stopped at my row, waived and smiled, I would have waived and smiled back, not because I was charmed or had any interest in interacting with your child, but because I wouldn't want the child's feelings hurt by reacting the way I'd really feel; it's not his fault that he has disturbed me, but yours.
Agreed. 100%. Call me a monster if you like, but I don't find this charming in the least.
I'm quite certain I'm not the only person on a plane who feels this way. That there are people who would be charmed is fine -- they're the ones who voluntarily stopped by your seats to say hello. But please understand that people bring all kinds of personal attitudes on aircraft and, as a rule, uninvited intrusion is really inappropriate. Not everyone is interested in having their attention taken from whatever it is they are doing to make the time pass in whatever way works best for them when they're flying. At least for me, this is particularly true in coach which, at best, is an uncomfortable and unpleasant environment in which personal space is severely restricted.

You seem to know this, as you wrote, "we have been on planes before (air france) where the passengers didnt appreciate this." Well, that's not surprising. The French tend to be more reserved than Americans and have considerably less tolerance for discourtesy.

All parents seem to think their own children are special and endlessly fascinating. Please know that, to most strangers, they are not.
Again, this. I don't dislike your kids, I just don't find them interesting, charming or fascinating. I just don't. And I don't want to have to be forced to interact with them because you just can't believe that all of humanity doesn't find it as adorable as you do when they wave and smile. I just want to sit and read or whatever I am doing. Now give me a puppy and I just melt.
As for the FA, it's never appropriate for an FA to be rude. Perhaps the problem was that she perceived your actions to be rude or, worse, disruptive, and that was the reason for her attitude.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vickh
For PHX-WAS I booked my wife and kids in F and I'll be in steerage. I planned on switching seats with wife about half way to give her a break. Is that kosher??
No
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by vickh
Should've put the kids in the back... or better yet, checked them. Are they really so obnoxious that mom is going to need a break half way through a not-so-long flight? I hope you recognize that the other passengers in F will not have the same luxury.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PTravel

Thank you. I agree totally except that I would not have waved at the kid. I'm not responsible or obligated to entertain someone else's kids unless I'm their nanny, teacher, grandparent, paid babysitter, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Not to justify the abrasive comments by the F/A but last I checked (Which was well before the merger so I may be completely off) Hawaii was staffed by international crew. Additionally every INTL AA flight I have taken the cabin barrier has been taken seriously whereas domestic flights it seems to be more flexible. That might explain the F/As disapproval of crossing the curtain since many of the flights they work there is enforced policy regarding crossing cabins. Probably could have been handled better by the crew but may not have been malicious.
A "I just want to stretch my legs after sitting this long" has always worked for me when walking from J->Y, if this wasn't communicated I would chalk this situation up to miscommunication and misinformation between you and the crew and leave it at that. However if they still made a fuss about you taking a walk after telling them you wanted space to stroll (and settle the little one) then a complaint to CS would be warranted.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
The curtain is one-way? Really? What gives F passengers more right to disturb economy passengers than the other way around?
Their ticket price.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Exactly. So you save the F pax from seeing your kid cry only to dump him on the coach passengers including "aunty".

Not right.
Or it could be a situation where "aunty" can entertain/calm/etc the child so everyone can relax. When I was a wee one hanging out with my aunt was infinitely exciting. I was even "dumped" me on my aunt for a week or two each summer. Some of my fondest memories. Going to see aunty could have been a mid-flight vacation for the kid, or it could have been a cry fest in Y, but Aunty agreed to take care of the kid and was ticketed in the same cabin as everyone else in rows 20-999.
If a premium was paid and this was in J/F then perhaps a case could be made about a disturbance, but if you are in Y you should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Kids are loud, people forget to shower for a couple weeks, and god bless those near the ambien&vodka types, but you are flying through the sky in a metal tube for a price that would have been unheard-of 20 years ago. If you need a calmer atmosphere and more personalized treatment there are premium cabins. If the price for J/F isn't right, invest in a good pair of noise canceling headphones ... and expect the worst possible seatmates.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The price differential does not grant permission to cabin hop.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The price differential does not grant permission to cabin hop.
De Facto it does. Being ticketed in a higher cabin allows a pax to travel from their ticketed cabin to lower cabins. EK F pax are allowed to use the J bar at the aft of the cabin and VS PE pax are allowed to use the Y lavs despite crossing a curtain. When traveling in a premium cabin I have never been denied access to the Y cabin (for walking or lav use) and as a Y pax I have never been allowed use of the premium cabin space/lavs (aside from 737-9 without a mid cabin lav during drink service). It may not be explicitly stated but allowing a premium pax to take a stroll or visit companions in a lower cabin is assumed to be kosher and confining a pax that paid a revenue premium to a smaller cabin is a service failure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.