Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Not Allowed to Walk Toddler Between Classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Allowed to Walk Toddler Between Classes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by ijgordon
How would the vast majority of pax in Y know whether you were in F/J?

I think of it this way - you could allow the entire F cabin to walk through Y and hardly anyone would notice. The opposite is decidedly not true.

I like airplanes, and I like to explore them, and I don't like DVT. So sue me.

I thought the TSA restriction on crossing cabins was only on inbound flights to the US. FWIW, on a recent LHR-JFK flight in F, I strolled front to back once or twice, nobody cared. Maybe because I didn't have a screaming toddler?
I tend to notice when people are coming from the front - just as I tend to notice when the curtain snaps shut after reaching cruising altitude. Maybe you don't. Don't get me wrong I have less of an issue with someone taking a quick and discrete walk through the plane than I do with someone who feels they have the right to disturb others in coach because the paid for first. I've been traveling with my daughter since she was only a few months old both in steerage and premium cabins - it would never occur to me that I should take my crying baby (although fortunately she rarely cried) to another cabin. Of course I also never ran her up and down an aircraft aisle to get the wiggles out - how annoying to other pax.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by be001
I decided to give the other first class passangers a break and take him for a walk through the aisle to burn off some energy and go see his aunty in economy.
So the economy passengers get to be annoyed by the kid's little fit, sparing the first class passengers?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by be001
Last week on a DFW-KOA flight we were seated in first. I was walking my 1.5 year old who was having a little fit so I decided to give the other first class passangers a break and take him for a walk through the aisle to burn off some energy and go see his aunty in economy. Walking down the aisle the flight attendant told me we were not allowed to go between classes. She was actually quite rude about it if you ask me the conversation went like this.

me and baby walking through the galley about to enter economy class

"you cannot walk through the curtain. That is why it is there"

"oh, we are just taking a walk to see his aunty a few rows back, is it OK if we just say hi

"you cannot walk through the curtain. that is why it is there"

Umm, ok...

I did get her name written down cause this seems kind of absurd doesnt it? You pay $2,500 for two tickets in first and they dont allow you to just take a walk down the aisle? Everyone knows that curtain is a one way door! You can always walk back right?? If i didnt have the kid with me I wouldnt have cared. But instead we went back to the seat where he started crying again.

PS this was the last flight on our around the world trip, on every. single. flight. befofe this one we were allowed to take a walk through the plane.
That's ridiculous, you should file a complaint. I'm sure the other first class passengers appreciated your effort to remove the loud child though.

Now if you were walking the child from economy into the first class cabin, completely different story...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Screaming toddler or not, would you use this argument on an international three-class flight if you had a seat in economy but wanted to check out first class?

Last edited by LondonElite; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:51 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by babypuwet
And then the rude ... FA on a power trip would have police meet you upon arrival. Or, if its early in the flight, say that she feels uncomfortable with you on board and have the Captain turn the plane around to deplane you....
Unfortunately, that is the aviation environment we live in now in the U.S.
If she, the Captain, and whoever were that delusional then bring it on. I am, I fear, not easily cowed or intimidated by the likes of her.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The curtain is one-way? Really? What gives F passengers more right to disturb economy passengers than the other way around?
An extra few passengers walking down the aisle shouldn't be disturbing to anyone.
Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree
Right?? When I travel up front I always stick to my cabin. When I travel in back I stick there too. When I see people from F/J taking a cruise through steerage and checking out how cramped it is, I always feel like they are doing a catwalk "look a me I'm special because I'm in F/J" thing. Saying all that, I would rather travel up front any day where I can revel in my specialness from my assigned seat - lol.
Does this have to be about class envy and your hurt feelings? The OP wants to walk the length of the aircraft without disturbing anyone. This upsets you?
Originally Posted by enviroian
Exactly. So you save the F pax from seeing your kid cry only to dump him on the coach passengers including "aunty".

Not right.
If the child would cry and disturb in coach - agree with you 100%. I think the OP wanted to take the child for a walk so that s/he would NOT be crying.
How would the vast majority of pax in Y know whether you were in F/J?

I think of it this way - you could allow the entire F cabin to walk through Y and hardly anyone would notice. The opposite is decidedly not true.

I thought the TSA restriction on crossing cabins was only on inbound flights to the US. FWIW, on a recent LHR-JFK flight in F, I strolled front to back once or twice, nobody cared. Maybe because I didn't have a screaming toddler?
^
Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree
I tend to notice when people are coming from the front - just as I tend to notice when the curtain snaps shut after reaching cruising altitude. Maybe you don't. Don't get me wrong I have less of an issue with someone taking a quick and discrete walk through the plane than I do with someone who feels they have the right to disturb others in coach because the paid for first. I've been traveling with my daughter since she was only a few months old both in steerage and premium cabins - it would never occur to me that I should take my crying baby (although fortunately she rarely cried) to another cabin. Of course I also never ran her up and down an aircraft aisle to get the wiggles out - how annoying to other pax.
Sounds like flying is really rough for you. Good luck. No one implied they have a right to disturb coach pax
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
So the economy passengers get to be annoyed by the kid's little fit, sparing the first class passengers?
I don't think that was the idea
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:01 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by flyalways
I am confused. AA allows economy passengers to use F toilets in domestic flights all the time.
I didn't think is allowed, and I have rarely seen a coach passenger coming through the curtain to use the lav behind the cockpit. If they have, it would likely be with an FA's discretion due to overcrowding of coach lavs.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Toddlers find it hard to stay cooped up in a seat for an entire flight. I don't begrudge the OP anything for wanting to take the child on an expedition down the aisle. Surely it's reasonable, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the flight attendants while serving meals or drinks?

(Slightly off-topic encouragement to OP: glad you're enjoying the joys of a walking toddler. The exploration and boundless inquisitiveness can be exhausting but seeing a little person blossom and gain confidence in taking their own steps is a wonderful thing.)
muji likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyalways
I am confused. AA allows economy passengers to use F toilets
in domestic flights all the time. DFW-KOA is domestic as far as I
know. Not sure where this is all coming from ?
I was thinking the same thing you were. I can't count how many times I've been in 1st, waited patiently in my seat for the 1st lav to open up only to have someone from coach run thru the curtain and into the bathroom before I have a chance to get out of my seat. When I look back down the aisle, 9 times out of 10 there isn't a service cart in the aisle that could potentially be blocking the rear lavs.

That is a bummer the OP had such a curmudgeonly crew member on their flight. I took flight 229 as well last week and the crew i had was excellent and courteous. They sure made up for the disappointment of the almost always guaranteed last minute aircraft swap to the old NGBC 767 on this route...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by jay_dubya

Does this have to be about class envy and your hurt feelings? The OP wants to walk the length of the aircraft without disturbing anyone. This upsets you?

If the child would cry and disturb in coach - agree with you 100%. I think the OP wanted to take the child for a walk so that s/he would NOT be crying.

^

Sounds like flying is really rough for you. Good luck. No one implied they have a right to disturb coach pax
Of course part of it is about class envy - who wouldn't want to sit in more comfortable seats on an airplane? But it is also about common courtesy - didn't you read the OP's post where they said their baby was having a bit of a fit so she decided to give the first class pax a break and visit economy?

As to letting the child down for a walk - there is an aisle in First - it may not be big but at that age you don't need big.

No one implied they have a right to disturb coach pax?
By taking an upset child from one cabin into another cabin to spare the ears of the first cabin does actually imply they feel it is ok to disturb those in coach. Throw in the "I paid $2500" statement and it makes it even more apparent.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Lol this thread is all over the place, and entertaining to read.

FWIW, I walked an entire 747 on BA with my 2 y/o about 4x last month. WTP was between 1L/2L doors, so we walked through CW and WT on our journey.

But I got permission from the FA first, definitely. ^
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL, UA, bonvoy
Originally Posted by salut0
(Slightly off-topic encouragement to OP: glad you're enjoying the joys of a walking toddler. The exploration and boundless inquisitiveness can be exhausting but seeing a little person blossom and gain confidence in taking their own steps is a wonderful thing.)
I don't have kids but this post made my day. It's always fun to see their inquisitiveness about things we take for granted.

And, just to stay on topic, FAs do seem to let coach passengers go to the front lav all the time. I know because I usually am one, especially in the current upgrade environment . I do try to use the lav in my cabin, but if they're doing cart service they'll actually encourage one to go forward. I'm not sure what the big deal about going back to see Aunty would have been. Just my .02.

cheers,
YZ
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Screaming toddler or not, would you use this argument on an international three-class flight if you had a seat in economy but wanted to check out first class?
Shirley you don't think I would.

Plenty of space to walk around in Y to avoid DVT so that's not an issue.
Explore the plane - If I really wanted to, I would ask the crew if I could peek into F after the pax had disembarked.

As I alluded to - it's all about not disturbing other passengers regardless of cabin. As an F/J pax, I can walk through Y once or twice without disturbing anyone. One more fish in the sea, and I take extra care not to bump into aisle pax (difficult on the 10-abreast 777 for sure!). IMO, the opposite is not true moving to a higher cabin. So I don't.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by yankeezulu
I don't have kids but this post made my day. It's always fun to see their inquisitiveness about things we take for granted.
This is so true - especially toddlers!

Speaking personally I would have no problem whatsoever with the OP taking their child for a short walk to burn off some energy and see their aunt - and that applies whether I was in coach or in first class.

It sounds to me as if the FA was being a tad unreasonable. I don't think the OP's intention was to sully the peace and quiet of the coach cabin.

For those who constantly cite TSA / DHS regulations I would love to see a link posted to this as I (and others) have yet to find anything online that says you are not permitted to cross between one cabin and another. It may be airline policy to restrict passengers to their booked cabin but that is not the same as a TSA / DHS / FAA regulation!

As for the whole bathroom discussion, I really don't care if someone from coach uses the bathroom at the front of the plane, or vice versa. When you've got to go, you've got to go - and if there's a cart in the way or the bathroom in "your" cabin is occupied I don't see any reason why you can't use any other available bathroom. All I would ask is that the bathroom is left in a clean condition afterwards!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to upset anyone with my one way curtain joke! Couple clarifications

-The baby was NOT crying when we walked. He was instead stopping at each row and waving to the person there with a big smile on his face. 99% waved back. The other 1% was asleep. I didnt feel this was bothering anyone and had it bothered anyone I would have stopped immediately. (On this trip we have been on planes before (air france) where the passengers didnt appreciate this) and planes (ANA) where people were coming to our seat just to visit him!)

-This was our first walk down the aisle, 6 hours into the flight.

-The flight attendant's tone and the way she repeated it - to me this seemed to imply that if I did not comply I would be Dr. Dao'ed off the plane in KOA. So my response was to chuckle, ask for her name, type it into my phone and return to my seat

- Yes, we were aircraft swapped. I was going to mention this as well! I am thinking we may have taken the UA EWR-HNL had I known when we booked that this flight would be on the old plane. Had no idea this was a typical thing!

- As an aside this was the "purser" on the flight who happened to be the one serving us. She never, not once asked if the baby wanted a drink, some crackers, bottle refill. Nothing. I know its not required, and had she not been rude about the curtain I certainly wouldn't have even thought about it, but then I realized her service surely was lacking

- Finally, my wife dropped her phone down the side of the seat and we couldnt get it out. Every passenger had deplaned and we were still trying to fish it out. Not a single person working on that flight asked us if we needed help. It was as if when the door opened they were like "whelp we arent working anymore". They just stared at us! for 5 minutes they stared at us (I am assuming they couldnt leave until we could). But in any case, the service on that flight was just not good. I am assuming the purser is the boss? If so, her attitude filters down through the rest of that team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.