Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Disembarked apparently for skin color / appearance. Racism or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disembarked apparently for skin color / appearance. Racism or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
The root of the problem is dog-hair, how did it get there? "Service animal"?
Did a lot of flying the past two weeks. I'm noticing more passengers REFUSING to sit next to a "service animal".
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Oh come on. A business class seat on a transcon flight covered with dog hair is unacceptable.
Any hair on any seat is unacceptable !
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Personally speaking, I can't even believe people are actually serious about claiming they have concluded "racism!" based on the presented 1/2 of the pretty confusing story.
There's not enough information to conclude "racism" but it's equally, if not more, ridiculous to conclude "not racism" based just on the original post. OP was the one there, not us. Anyone who has flown while brown these last sixteen years in particular tends to develop a sense about these things.

Oh come on. A business class seat on a transcon flight covered with dog hair is unacceptable.
Agreed.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:49 pm

Maybe the captain assumed you were the passenger who requested the cleaning and that made him agitated for whatever reasons and wanted you off.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It just doesn't work that way.
Sure it does. They offer no explanation, and as a result we get speculation. Exactly what happened.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Maybe the captain assumed you were the passenger who requested the cleaning and that made him agitated for whatever reasons and wanted you off.
This to me is the most plausible scenario. Which actually reflects even more negatively on the captain IMO. Racist captain, not really relevant to his flying skill. Impatient and impulsive captain, much more disturbing thought.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by dipthought
AA67 today. Boarded the flight, about to sit down at 6D, when the gentleman at 6F said wait there is dog-hair all over the place. So we are standing in the aisle, chitchatting, waiting for the cleanup. All passengers around us are sitting, none left their seat. After 10 minutes or so, cleaning crew comes, and we are still in the aisle. So far I had no interaction with any of the FAs (who were passing by) and the captain, who was clearly impatient with the delay and pacing not too in front from us. Suddenly this lady (later identified herself as the floor manager) comes in, wants to have a word with me on the jet bridge. I oblige, and she says you will have to deplane since the captain is not comfortable with you on board. I asked why, she kept saying she "was not there, so cant comment". Finally said something fleetingly about me sweating, and I when I went back to fetch my bag, the guy at 6F was as shocked as anyone, and it was obvious he or anyone nearby did not complain about that.

Just to add:

I understand that body odour can be an usual suspect. But this was not the case (I did freshen up in the lounge before boarding), and then the obvious person to complain would have been 6F. He or none nearby had any word with any FA in those period. My feeling is the captain was annoyed because we were delayed, and and he did not like a brown guy standing in the aisle for an extended period of time so close to the flying deck.
How the heck did you jump to racism from that? This is the problem with the PC nonsense recently... it conditions people to be offended when there is nothing to be offended about.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
How the heck did you jump to racism from that? This is the problem with the PC nonsense recently... it conditions people to be offended when there is nothing to be offended about.
Because if there's two guys standing up waiting for seats to be cleaned and the one that happens to be kicked off is not the one who caused the delay, but instead the brown one, then it's pretty reasonable to switch to a default assumption of racism as opposed to some other more reasonable factor never discussed with the person kicked off the plane.

At a minimum, if you were kicked off a plane with absolutely no explanation other than that the captain didn't want you on, you might end up trying to come up with an explanation and "PC nonsense" would probably not factor particularly into it.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unfortunate story, OP. I am firmly in the camp of someone at AA needs to get an understanding of the cause for your removal. Whether or not they'd share that with you probably depends on what it is (or made to believe), but an apology would certainly be a reasonable place for AA to start after determining what happened. I also appreciate your mindset on this...

Originally Posted by dipthought
I think I just want to be at SFO now, will follow up later. Not looking to get media exposure, just a proper explanation and a sincere apology.
In any event, my thoughts:

a) dog hair on seats should have been removed before any boarding and I have zero problem with 6F asking for it to be cleaned
b) captain ought to relax and just wait for approval to leave. frankly, it's embarrassing that a captain might ask for a pax to be removed over a delay like this
c) I would be upset if this happened to me. Besides the public removal, the delay could make me late for or altogether miss a meeting I need to attend.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It wasn't vomit or urine or sticky snow cone syrup - it was hair. If 6F had put on his big boy pants and sat down, you'd be on the plane.
That's a pretty low bar you're setting. Consider that hairs are just the visible indicators of a bad cleanup job.

If you're fine sitting in a bunch of animal hair on a transcon ride, that's your business. Don't assume anyone else should put up with that.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
6F may be a "nice guy," but his refusal to just sit down in his assigned seat is a major part of the reason you're in NYC and not nearing SFO right now. It wasn't vomit or urine or sticky snow cone syrup - it was hair. If 6F had put on his big boy pants and sat down, you'd be on the plane.
The only time I've ever had to sit in an obviously "unclean" seat on a flight was when I spilled my water on it during boarding. I did not want to cause a delay, but the FA offered to get a new seat cover.

I had a flight once where some "intelligent" FA told an old woman with a dog who "needed help" getting to her seat to sit in my seat until someone could help her to the back.

Of course, my seat was in row 1 or 2, and so I was utterly confused to board (late-ish) to a full premium cabin.

Then I got in trouble for blocking the aisle (because there was nowhere for me to sit), slowing boarding

Then when the woman finally got up, the dog went right on the seat for a few minutes.

I was extremely close to asking for it to be re-groomed, and I would have felt 100% right in making that request.

I want a clean seat. If an animal is going to sit there before me, I want the seat cleaned.

I don't buy premium cabin tickets for a public transit seating experience.

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
It's the possibility of incidents like this that make me want to wear my body cam whenever on a plane, but I strongly doubt I would be permitted to.
I once inquired with Air Canada about this. I was told it probably wouldn't work, because photos are not allowed of galleys, security areas, certain parts of the inside of the airport, etc. But I'm more than allowed to take a photo of my seat or my meal.

And that's without even getting into the whole "are you filming me?" that every employee would inevitably ask.

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Agreed.

Originally Posted by jashsu
That's a pretty low bar you're setting. Consider that hairs are just the visible indicators of a bad cleanup job.

If you're fine sitting in a bunch of animal hair on a transcon ride, that's your business. Don't assume anyone else should put up with that.
Agreed.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by jashsu

Ditto. Especially in the premium cabin.

Put another way...if a seat covered in hair is worth that much cash / miles / lifetime AA FF spend, then how much is a seat not covered in hair worth?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Ditto. Especially in the premium cabin.

Put another way...if a seat covered in hair is worth that much cash / miles / lifetime AA FF spend, then how much is a seat not covered in hair worth?
To quote Mastercard, "Priceless"
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: AS 100K
I'm going to assume racism until the airline proves otherwise. Why? Because airlines in the US have a horrible track record with this sort of thing. A man is kicked off a flight just because he was speaking Arabic, an African American woman isn't allowed to give medical assistance because they don't believe she's a doctor, a Muslim woman is refused a can of soda because the F/A says it can be used "as a weapon," and let's not forget the ludicrous debacle of seven African American men being kicked off a NK flight.

But, wait! There's more! https://mic.com/articles/173846/it-s...eople-of-color

So you'll forgive me if my knee-jerk reaction is to assume the worst when it comes to the airline involved. It very well could not have been racism, but, based on past history, the airlines haven't given us much reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
I'm going to assume racism until the airline proves otherwise. Why? Because airlines in the US have a horrible track record with this sort of thing. A man is kicked off a flight just because he was speaking Arabic, an African American woman isn't allowed to give medical assistance because they don't believe she's a doctor, a Muslim woman is refused a can of soda because the F/A says it can be used "as a weapon," and let's not forget the ludicrous debacle of seven African American men being kicked off a NK flight.

But, wait! There's more! https://mic.com/articles/173846/it-s...eople-of-color

So you'll forgive me if my knee-jerk reaction is to assume the worst when it comes to the airline involved. It very well could not have been racism, but, based on past history, the airlines haven't given us much reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Strikes me as a fatiguing way to go through life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.