Wiki Posts
Search

A sad goodbye to AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
A sad goodbye to AA

I spent many years on US as a CP. Came over to AA with the merger. I've enjoyed AA, upgrades have been good. I've had great success with SWU's. In general happy with AA.

I fly all of the US airlines. I find them all about the same. So, this is not a rant against AA.

However, my flying patterns have change. I fly international on EK, corporate deal. Next year I'll be Gold on AA. My experience in Y with AA/UA/DL is all about the same; not good. Yes, on AA I would have a shot at MCE but given my travel from BOS and destinations I fly to this will not be so easy to get.

So, I'll most likely be sitting in Y. I've decided to move my domestic business to B6. I'm out of BOS so there are a lot of options. I find their Y product least painful. I take a once a year golf trip to MCO fly DL nonstop out of BOS. I buy F on DL same price as C+ plus two free checked bags. In general if I'm going to buy F, I'll take DL.

It's sad to me that AA's Y product has so little going for it, that I'll move my business. In the greater scheme of things no impact to AA. Just a little bit better for me.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Groovy.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Good luck man. At least you'll get some Pre Departure Drinks with Delta. AA is just.............declining
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Good luck man. At least you'll get some Pre Departure Drinks with Delta. AA is just.............declining
That's one way to put it. I'm sitting here tonight wondering if I should even renew EXP this year
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I think the point here (perhaps) is that in the past the AAdvantage program would have tipped someone like the OP to stick with AA, despite his changed travel patterns. With the demise of that program, what he's done makes complete sense. If you're going to travel in Y anyway, then AA is one of the less comfortable options and, from BOS, probably one of the less convenient ones. And if you're going to buy F then DL is usually cheaper and more reliable. In general I'd give AA the nod (slightly) for meals in F and (on the LAA planes) more generous room, but that's doesn't overcome the other DL advantages And for overseas the gulf carriers are hard to beat.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Sweet! One less EXP ahead of me for upgrades out of Boston!!!!!

Just kidding; nicely written post and good luck on B6. Let us know how that goes for you; may be more of us converting in the future
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Best of luck. I tried B6 for the first time in a long time a few weeks back, and the product was excellent. I'd imagine it's very nice having that option out of BOS. Safe travels.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA, DL, AF
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I've flown AA 1st a 3 times in the past couple of months and always got PDB! The one time I flew Y, no PDB. DL, once, "Comfort+" and they didn't even have coffee in the morning. They made up for it on the way home with the IPA, but also no PDB.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by BostonRobin
I've flown AA 1st a 3 times in the past couple of months and always got PDB! The one time I flew Y, no PDB. DL, once, "Comfort+" and they didn't even have coffee in the morning. They made up for it on the way home with the IPA, but also no PDB.
I'm (mostly) a leisure traveller and hence acquire little to no status as I choose an airline based on itinerary, schedule, type of aircraft, and reviews. Yes, I know reviews are largely subjective, but sometimes one can glean a pattern of sentiment flying on a particular itinerary. And, yes price also does fit in there somewhere, but not necessarily all in that order. I'm flying out today on a purchased F ticket on AA and hopeful it'll go well; PDB and all. Will report back. DL was also an option and the fare difference with AA wasn't much, but the schedules weren't as attractive and mostly entailed connecting through ATL which I'll do, but usually prefer to avoid especially during summer (thunderstorm) season. Here's to hoping connections through CLT are easier. It's my first time flying through there.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
I spent many years on US as a CP. Came over to AA with the merger. I've enjoyed AA, upgrades have been good. I've had great success with SWU's. In general happy with AA.

I fly all of the US airlines. I find them all about the same. So, this is not a rant against AA.

However, my flying patterns have change. I fly international on EK, corporate deal. Next year I'll be Gold on AA. My experience in Y with AA/UA/DL is all about the same; not good. Yes, on AA I would have a shot at MCE but given my travel from BOS and destinations I fly to this will not be so easy to get.

So, I'll most likely be sitting in Y. I've decided to move my domestic business to B6. I'm out of BOS so there are a lot of options. I find their Y product least painful. I take a once a year golf trip to MCO fly DL nonstop out of BOS. I buy F on DL same price as C+ plus two free checked bags. In general if I'm going to buy F, I'll take DL.

It's sad to me that AA's Y product has so little going for it, that I'll move my business. In the greater scheme of things no impact to AA. Just a little bit better for me.
Why B6 instead of DL? I wouldn't pick a LCC as a primary...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
I'm (mostly) a leisure traveller and hence acquire little to no status as I choose an airline based on itinerary, schedule, type of aircraft, and reviews. Yes, I know reviews are largely subjective, but sometimes one can glean a pattern of sentiment flying on a particular itinerary. And, yes price also does fit in there somewhere, but not necessarily all in that order. I'm flying out today on a purchased F ticket on AA and hopeful it'll go well; PDB and all. Will report back. DL was also an option and the fare difference with AA wasn't much, but the schedules weren't as attractive and mostly entailed connecting through ATL which I'll do, but usually prefer to avoid especially during summer (thunderstorm) season. Here's to hoping connections through CLT are easier. It's my first time flying through there.
On time boarding AA AUS -> CLT, PDB kindly, warmly offered within seconds of seating, and graciously accepted
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Well, if OP flies EK international Business very often, why not status match to Alaska and work for MVP gold? You get MCE on AA as a MVP Gold
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Stripe
I think the point here (perhaps) is that in the past the AAdvantage program would have tipped someone like the OP to stick with AA, despite his changed travel patterns.
The dilution of frequent flier benefits, and lower F TODs, are customer friendly: we are free to choose our airline on a transactional basis. For the OP BOS-SFO can be a nonstop on VX/DL/UA/B6 instead of a connection on AA. Combine this with a credit card like CSR or Amex Plat that provides access to a variety of lounges, and we are all better off.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonRobin
DL does not offer PDB in Comfort+, only F.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I am sitting here at 46k for the year, and decided I am going to have to stick with AA for the rest of the year, despite me wanting to leave right now.

I am going to finish out my 100k, and the next 54k I am going to really look at my upgrades. Virgin flies my primary route, and based on my upgrade percentage (sub 25%), I would rather fly Virgin, and be satisfied with LT PLT when I have to go on a different route.

My problem is I am already 46k in, so I have to keep rolling to 100k this year, that way I have the option next year to either stick with EXP or start fresh on a new year for a new airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.