Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Not possible to Upgrade from Premium Economy to Biz with Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist

I am booked in PE for a flight from GRU to DFW and the AAdvantage desk told me it isn't possible to even get on the upgrade list with miles as PE is still so new, their system doesn't have an option for that upgrade request.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems very strange to me.

Thanks.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Did you HUACA? Hung up and call again, forget the fact that you are on PE, just mention that you want to apply for an upgrade.

Last edited by arollins; May 15, 2017 at 7:01 pm
Old May 15, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Please post back and tell us the results. Hang Up Call Again is one of the most maddening yet highly effective strategies out there.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Its on the upgrade award chart as possible, though its the same price as regular economy.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
Old May 15, 2017, 11:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by davecraze
I am booked in PE for a flight from GRU to DFW and the AAdvantage desk told me it isn't possible to even get on the upgrade list with miles as PE is still so new, their system doesn't have an option for that upgrade request.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems very strange to me.

Thanks.
It's not strange, it appears to be uninformed rubbish dispensed by a disinterested agent who can't even be bothered to read AA policy. Definitely call again; your upgrade should pretty much be handled as a Main Cabin upgrade to Business at this time, AFAIK.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
Its on the upgrade award chart as possible, though its the same price as regular economy.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...with-miles.jsp
So since it says above that chart that "Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service", how does that NOT mean that economy upgrades into premium economy (where available)? There is no exception language that would allow economy to business on a 789.

I'm assuming this is just AA being idiotic?
Old May 16, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
Did you HUACA? Hung up and call again, forget the fact that you are on PE, just mention that you want to apply for an upgrade.
I will try again. The agent actually noticed I was in PE and brought it up that would not work
Old May 16, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

HUACA did work with a caveat. The agent tried to charge 25k miles plus copay because did not initially recognize it was PE fare. She told me she has only ever quoted one PE fare in her tenure at AA (it wasn't taken) and most agents also have not ever done so either.
Goods news - took the upgrade. Bad news - biz is full anyway.

Thanks guys.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davecraze
HUACA did work with a caveat. The agent tried to charge 25k miles plus copay because did not initially recognize it was PE fare. She told me she has only ever quoted one PE fare in her tenure at AA (it wasn't taken) and most agents also have not ever done so either.
Goods news - took the upgrade. Bad news - biz is full anyway.

Thanks guys.
Unless your ticket is booked in W (full fare PE) then the agent would have been correct that a co-pay is required as discount economy and discount premium economy both have a co-pay as AA doesn't make a distinction between the two right now.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryan182
Unless your ticket is booked in W (full fare PE) then the agent would have been correct that a co-pay is required as discount economy and discount premium economy both have a co-pay as AA doesn't make a distinction between the two right now.
It was full fare PE. I also see what you mean on the chart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.