Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours sues AA for injuries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours sues AA for injuries

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight

One question I have is does he have proof of the size of the passenger next to him and the amount of intrusion?

(As I read this, they can intrude into your space 1 inch on the side of the armrest where you are, I think that is an inch and 1/2 an armrest too much.)

Customers that need extra space

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.

When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...jsp#extraspace
Old May 5, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
Do you ever have to deal with this kind of issue? Does AA have a policy for how they address this?
Yes, I have had to ask pax to return to their seats when attempting to sit in the pilots' rest seats.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
Actually there's a solution. Some bigger seats to accommodate bigger people.
There already ARE bigger seats. They are located at the front of the plane. That's not making any sort of judgement about a POS or any other passenger. The reality is that what airlines are selling is real estate - you want (or need) more, you pay more.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
ADA doesn't apply to air travel
ACAA - but I think you know what he's talking about.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by josmul123
This thread is about a lawsuit, yet it very immediately spiraled into a conversation about how to successfully shame obese people into not flying. Some of the suggestions in this thread are shameful. Pre-conceived notions about obese people and plans to treat them differently than other passengers are offensive, and I don't think they belong here.
What about this thread is shameful? Quite the contrary. There are times that (although not always the case) a POS is the one that is expecting (or even feels entitled) to be treated differently than other passengers by expecting something more than what they paid for. Each passenger buys a ticket for ONE seat. Any passenger that cannot fit into the ONE seat that they pay for should need to pay for the additional space that they require. The same goes for passengers that are very tall (my ex for example, being 6'4, always paid for MCE seats because he knew he would need that space). If anyone has watched the TLC show "My Big Fat Fabulous Life," you'll see that when she travels, Whitney always purchases two seats, knowing that her body will not fit into a 17.2" width seat. If it were me, and I knew that I couldn't fit into the space allocated to me in any situation, I would find a way to make the situation work for me in advance, versus showing up and intruding on other people's rights, space, etc.

There are definitely sensitive, respectful, reasonable, and ethical ways to solve this issue going forward.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
A while back i was traveling LAS - IAH and there was a POS -- probably 400 lbs, I'm not exaggerating -- who was seated in the aisle and was quite literally in HALF the seat next to him. And the gal in the middle seat was pushed half into the window seat. Not sure what ever happened to the window seat pax, as I couldn't see clearly from where I was seated.

When walking down the aisle past the POS, everybody had to turn sideways because his upper body was maybe 12" into the aisle. I felt really sad for the gal next to him. She had a very miserable look on her face when I walked past.

It's one thing to be a bit plump and have none of your seat to share with others. It's another thing entirely to take up another person's seat.

Note: This is not a fat-shaming comment, rather a discussion that if you truly TRULY require 30+ inches of seat width, you need to make accommodations to ensure you have your needs met without seriously encroaching on another pax's space.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch
There already ARE bigger seats. They are located at the front of the plane.
If you're not flying on a regional jet. There have been a few times when I have booked a First Class ticket with AA only to find myself on a regional jet that had no actual First Class section; AA had merely designated the first row as "first class" on that flight and didn't actually provide a wider seat (which was of course what I had booked First Class to obtain!).

The problem isn't as easily solved as many of the "just buy two seats or a first class ticket" crowd seem to think it is. Only Southwest actually makes it easy to actually book two seats.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by artemis

The problem isn't as easily solved as many of the "just buy two seats or a first class ticket" crowd seem to think it is. Only Southwest actually makes it easy to actually book two seats.
I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. My point was that the responsibility for the solution rests both with the customer AND with the company. The customer needs to be willing to address their needs upfront and in advance, while AA needs to have the processes and policies in place to make it possible for passengers to do so.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:14 pm

He knew he was being squashed when the boarded and sat down. That would have been the time to take action, not after being in the air.
Why do you believe that's not what happened?
Old May 5, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
This thread is about a lawsuit, yet it very immediately spiraled into a conversation about how to successfully shame obese people into not flying. Some of the suggestions in this thread are shameful. Pre-conceived notions about obese people and plans to treat them differently than other passengers are offensive, and I don't think they belong here.
If others' opinions on the broad subject (as I see it: Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours, lawsuit filed, implications for others down the road?) aren't welcome, I'd simply call for a thread lock and see how that goes rather than judge others for potentially judging others.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by Grog
If others' opinions on the broad subject (as I see it: Australian man "crushed" in economy seat 14 hours, lawsuit filed, implications for others down the road?) aren't welcome, I'd simply call for a thread lock and see how that goes rather than judge others for potentially judging others.
Wrong.

I have no problem with the subject matter of the thread or the discussion of what happened/should have happened (Calling for a thread lock and "seeing what happens" would be the wrong approach), but the implication of treating people like carry-on luggage and requiring them to "comfortably fit within the sizer" or "excuse me, sir, can you go behind the fat curtain for a second?" struck me as asinine, offensive, and dehumanizing. While singling out and parading people of size in front of a crowd of people waiting to board an airplane because of their size might sound acceptable to people who do dehumanize large people, I wouldn't fly on an airline that implemented this practice.

AA should enforce their existing policy regarding people of size properly. If this indeed happened the way the man described, it's a customer service failure on AA's part. They have a policy which would have allowed them to handle this tactfully, and they dropped the ball.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:19 pm

I am a big guy but the arm rest can go all the way down and I have not needed a seat belt extension (yet.... time to hit the gym).

But I am big in the shoulders too.

And the seats are awfully small.

I feel for all involved.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:40 pm

I would support making everyone sit in the sizer, not just those borderline. Would that solve your concern?

Why can an airline charge bags by size and weight but not people? If you take up more space, you add to cost. If you take up more weight, you add to fuel.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by deskover54
Why can an airline charge bags by size and weight but not people? If you take up more space, you add to cost. If you take up more weight, you add to fuel.
What an incredibly profound idea that's never once been proposed in the history of the internet.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:46 pm

Wrong.

I have no problem with the subject matter of the thread or the discussion of what happened/should have happened (Calling for a thread lock and "seeing what happens" would be the wrong approach), but the implication of treating people like carry-on luggage and requiring them to "comfortably fit within the sizer" or "excuse me, sir, can you go behind the fat curtain for a second?" struck me as asinine, offensive, and dehumanizing. While singling out and parading people of size in front of a crowd of people waiting to board an airplane because of their size might sound acceptable to people who do dehumanize large people, I wouldn't fly on an airline that implemented this practice.

AA should enforce their existing policy regarding people of size properly. If this indeed happened the way the man described, it's a customer service failure on AA's part. They have a policy which would have allowed them to handle this tactfully, and they dropped the ball.
There is a policy in place, yet few pax read or follow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.