Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hotel for EXP / Executive Platinum during Wx / weather event?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel for EXP / Executive Platinum during Wx / weather event?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Several years ago my (red-eye) sfo-jfk was delayed 2 hours due to late arrival of jfk-sfo. Ultimately my flt was cancelled due to mechanical issues. AA paid for a mediocre motel; I checked in at 2:30 am, but had to depart at 5:00 am to catch my new flt at 7:00 am The food voucher could only be used to get snacks from the hotel's canteen, since their service restaurant was not yet open. I probably should have stayed at the airport.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Within the past 24 months, I was flying AA from Europe via PHL to another US destination. The AA flight left from Europe late, so late that I and others missed our connections out of PHL. AA was refusing to put up passengers in hotels and claimed there were no grounds to get a hotel at AA expense at PHL because the cause of the delay included ATC/weather on arrival. I informed the flight rebooking staff that the delay out of Europe was substantially what it was because of AA crew members getting late to the gate for the AA flight to PHL.

I did manage to get AA to put up for a hotel for me and those passengers who were near me at the time. But other passengers before and after me at PHL got stuck at PHL overnight with no assistance from AA other than the flight re-booking for the next day.

DL is so much better than AA is in this regard. Even as a DL 25k-50k flyer, DL is better in such situations than AA.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by BThumme
To answer the question, the answer is no, they won't. This is one of the single best benefits of a good Credit Card. The last weather delay I had at ORD that I needed a hotel for, I was able to choose pretty much any hotel. The insurance budgets are really high.
Agreed. Unless you have bad credit you should have a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve. They will cover up to $500 per ticket, once per trip, for any delay of 6 hours or more. That should be enough to stay in a nice hotel and get a nice meal. And this is in addition to the coverage for any pre-paid things you missed.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Within the past 24 months, I was flying AA from Europe via PHL to another US destination. The AA flight left from Europe late, so late that I and others missed our connections out of PHL. AA was refusing to put up passengers in hotels and claimed there were no grounds to get a hotel at AA expense at PHL because the cause of the delay included ATC/weather on arrival. I informed the flight rebooking staff that the delay out of Europe was substantially what it was because of AA crew members getting late to the gate for the AA flight to PHL.

I did manage to get AA to put up for a hotel for me and those passengers who were near me at the time. But other passengers before and after me at PHL got stuck at PHL overnight with no assistance from AA other than the flight re-booking for the next day.

DL is so much better than AA is in this regard. Even as a DL 25k-50k flyer, DL is better in such situations than AA.
Since the flight was ex-EU, EU261 requires they pay for hotels/meal/ground transportation. This is regardless of the reason. It's called "duty of care" and applies regardless the reason for delay. Compensation is only due though if it's within the airlines control. However that is separate from duty of care.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Since the flight was ex-EU, EU261 requires they pay for hotels/meal/ground transportation. This is regardless of the reason. It's called "duty of care" and applies regardless the reason for delay. Compensation is only due though if it's within the airlines control. However that is separate from duty of care.
The need for the hotel room occurred outside EU (=in US).
(1)Does EU261 apply?
(2)If it does and AA doesn't agree, what could one do?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Never had AA cover a hotel, even when the flight ORD to LHR several years ago, went delayed, delayed and then cancelled, just got a hotel myself, bettering then spending all night in ORD, and since I missed my connecting flight to BOM, they told me that they would provide a hotel at LHR for the day (sure....) never happened.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
(1)Does EU261 apply?
The best place to check is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nrr
(1)Does EU261 apply?
Where the need is occurs doesn't matter. What matters is that the need arises because of a covered flight. Thus since the flight to PHL was late and caused the misconnect AA is on the hook for hotels. OTOH if the PHL flight was on time but the connecting flight was cancelled due to weather no hotel would be due.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Every time I've had an AA flight go MX, I have gotten on the phone and been rebooked by the Plat desk, and went straight to the ticket desk upon deplaning where they gave me a hotel voucher. The same happened with US previously.

I've always found them to be proactive about it when it's their fault, when its WX, nada, that's when you use your CC's insurance.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Rebob
I have not enjoyed the hotels I've been given when it happened. I'd rather use the credit card or points to get something decent
ABSOLUTELY. When events happen the hotels fill up quick and then only the Microtel or Super 8's are left. I'll stick to the Marriott/SPG/Hyatt level and eat the cost.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Twice I've had AA reimburse my hotel when a flight was cancelled.

I simply submitted the receipt afterwards along with taxi expense. On the first one, I made the mistake of booking hotel with hotel points. That made the reimbursement more challenging - won't do that again.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ugh, I can't get anyone to even look at my reservation to see why it was delayed. Expert Flyer is showing "operational reasons" versus "weather cancelation" so am curious as to what happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.