Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 Upgrade on American International,

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by shayflyer11
@AANYC1981 would love to go downstairs for 5 minutes and would but my wife is meeting us in Barca and I know my son will be talking all 'bout it so.
"Tell ya what, if you don't say anything to mom about me going to the lobby for 5 minutes, you get to ride up front in J. Deal?"
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold
LOL, I've actually done deals with him like that. Booked him and me in business (picked him up from school and he thought he was flying economy). We got to the airport and I had to go to the bathroom for like 2 seconds so I asked him to wait at the check in desk for a second (bathroom was a bit far). He didn't want to than I said "if you stay here I'll upgrade you to the flat bed seats". He stood there with a huge smile on his face the whole time.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
LOL, can't really leave my 11 year old alone in a hotel room (wife would kill me) and I booked this hotel based on distance to JFK (not 5 stars) and not ideal to go downstairs at night.
That's crazy. When I was 11 I was earning AA Gold status flying back and forth solo between my mother and my father's places. It was great.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Not that I disagree, I'd probably leave him watching TV etc or take him down with me, but

The wife is OK with flying a cabin apart for 7+ hours but not leaving him in a secure hotel room for 10 mins
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Flying to Barcelona tomorrow on American Airlines with my son. I booked in Business, my son I booked in economy. Checking him in and AA offers me a $500 upgrade offer. We're flying on the 777-200 which has a pretty good business class product. Spending the night in a hotel and I forgot my laptop. My friend is meeting me tmrw at the airport to give it to me (too late to go to lobby and use the laptops in business center). Want to know if the upgrade should still be available tomorrow (checked on expertflyer and it said c=7 for upgrade space).

AA offered an upgrade for $500, and you forgot your laptop........I don't see the connection. Are you spending the night in a hotel because you lost your laptop, and the upgrade you were offered was when you checked in for the flight you were supposed to take?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:21 am

Just get to a computer at the hotel and take the upgrades ASAP. $500 UFC is a no brainer.

I am sure 11 year old can be instructed to lock door and not get in trouble for five minutes...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Good luck with the upgrade for your flight.

It will be interesting to see what happens - especially so we can see how acccurate Expertflyers "7" actually is - and I know things can change.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
AA offered an upgrade for $500, and you forgot your laptop........I don't see the connection. Are you spending the night in a hotel because you lost your laptop, and the upgrade you were offered was when you checked in for the flight you were supposed to take?
Because OP forgot his laptop, he is not in a position to try to purchase the upgrade unless he goes downstairs to the business center.

I am assuming that the hotel stay was already planned, because I don't see anything in the post about having missed a flight, and rjw242's comment (#12). It also sounds like OP had previously checked his son in, but declined the upgrade at that time, and has now changed his mind.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Aside from hotel/booking commentary here, this is truly a fantastic offer considering mileage upgrade copay alone is $350. Hopefully OP is able to take advantage.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:20 am

@AANYC1981 would love to go downstairs for 5 minutes and would but my wife is meeting us in Barca and I know my son will be talking all 'bout it so.
Just a heads up, I personally don't care, but locals here really hate it when people call it Barca (means boat), Barça (that's the football teams). They prefer people call it Barna (which I think sounds dumb). But anyways...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
AA flies a 772 to BCN?
It's been a 772 for almost a year. Upgraded from a 763.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
They prefer people call it Barna (which I think sounds dumb). But anyways...
Don't get why the fine Catalan people of BCN would want to name their city after an annoying purple dinosaur, but I guess they have their reasons.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Have you tried calling AA?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Just wake the kid up and say "you need to go with me to the lobby to get great seats on tomorrow's flight." Problem solved.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:33 am

Perhaps I'm missing something terribly obvious since no one else seems to have wondered about it, but... how are you able to write here?

Last edited by makrom; Apr 23, 2017 at 8:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.