Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gary Leff: SEC filing - AAdvantage devaluation hurt AA profits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Interesting.

"KILLING THE GOLDEN GOOSE: SEC Filing Shows AAdvantage Devaluation Hurt American Airlines Profits"

by Gary Leff on April 13, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....lines-profits/

(Mods - feel free to merge/move)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:10 pm

This feels like a real life example of the paradox of thrift.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
There may be other causes.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
There may be other causes.
Did you actually read the article? If so, which other causes?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Love the Casey Neistat reference in the title. I guess the memories of his AAdvantage video still live on.

Originally Posted by Bttc
This feels like a real life example of the paradox of thrift.
Penny-wise and pound-foolish, indeed. I don't see it getting any better, though, and it could very well get worse.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
That whole blog post is just nonsense and a great example of post hoc ergo propter hoc.
They had an estimate as to revenue (which is still expected to be up 330M) and they had to change that expectation, this happens. My guess is the airline credit card market is getting saturated, there was the large 100K signup bonuses last year that many in the target market probably took advantage of, so they just had fewer signups than they hoped for in Q1 (shrug). To claim this was caused by a change in the award table or earning rates for flying would be funny as a joke but I think the author in that blog was serious so its kind of sad.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Penny pinching Parkers continues to sacrifice future dollars to save pennies now.

It is a losing cycle - cuts to AAdvantage hurt profits, which lead to more cuts to try to lower costs, which lead to less revenue (people become less willing to spend more to fly on USdbaAA), which leads to more cuts...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like Non Sequitur to me. I dropped AA CC when they no longer counted towards MM status. Nothing to do with devaluation.

Originally Posted by ryan182
That whole blog post is just nonsense and a great example of post hoc ergo propter hoc.
They had an estimate as to revenue (which is still expected to be up 330M) and they had to change that expectation, this happens. My guess is the airline credit card market is getting saturated, there was the large 100K signup bonuses last year that many in the target market probably took advantage of, so they just had fewer signups than they hoped for in Q1 (shrug). To claim this was caused by a change in the award table or earning rates for flying would be funny as a joke but I think the author in that blog was serious so its kind of sad.
^

Last edited by nutwpinut; Apr 13, 2017 at 8:55 pm Reason: Moved thumbs up down to make sure it was affiliated with ryan182 and not to the article.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Does the dual credit card strategy have anything to do with this? I dropped AA CC a while ago but this new system is not worth it IMO.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
So when is VFTW's next post on an unprecedented/outstanding/great CC sign up bonus miles offer?

These bloggers have no credibility on frequent flyer program devaluations when they refuse to acknowledge any link between the reason for those devaluations and the credit cards that they are constantly hawking.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
They might have devalued them, but don't worry because the value doesn't matter when you can't use them!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:43 am
Suspended

I don't know how this guy comes to the conclusion. But the SEC filling is MARCH traffic report only. From what I read, the weather related cancellations and seasonable adjustment kicked in and influenced the result. The high value of US dollar is hurting Atlantic and Latin America market, but was compensated by expansion in Pacific market. Nothing indicate AAdvantage devaluation anywhere in the SEC document.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
I don't know how this guy comes to the conclusion.
Me neither. I'll just chalk the nonsense conclusions to what happens when individuals with no back ground in running a large business needs filler for a blog.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Apr 14, 2017 at 5:15 am
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I think that conclusions like the devaluation of AAdvantage is directly responsible for a bottom line profit reduction are hard to reach or verify with any degree of certainty in a business as complex as an airline.

OTOH, and just as a single data point, the reduced value in AAdvantage, by itself, caused me to look at other carriers' programs. I ended up with QRPC and now fly QR almost exclusively. Although I may not be a very frequent flyer compared to other FTers, I commute between BKK and BOS five or six roundtrips annually in paid premium cabins.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:40 am

The Defenders vs The Devalued

This looks like a good movie. <gets popcorn>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.