Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-CLT - minimal F service in-flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
JFK-CLT - minimal F service in-flight?

A minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, to be sure, but a little disappointing nonetheless.

I recently flew early-morning (0630) JFK-CLT after coming off of a redeye. Scheduled block time is 2:11. Upgrade cleared at the gate (e-500’s). I think normally this is a 737 flight, but the afternoon before schedule shows it was substituted with an A320. The details-

1. We were offered a PDB, but the FA did not offer to hang up anyone’s jackets.

2. Soon after departure, drink orders were taken and served. Glasses were left at the seats.

3. Around mid-flight the FA asked the passenger in 1F (I was in 2F) if he’d like another beverage. FA then brought him a can of Coke, then offered him the fully-stocked-and-arranged snack basket. Passenger took an item, and then the FA then simply put the whole basket back in the galley, never offered it to anyone else!

4. A bit later the FA went by, and almost as an afterthought, asked me if I wanted another beverage, which he delivered. I assumed he would eventually bring the snack basket around, so I didn’t specifically ask him for it, which in retrospect I probably should have.

5. Half the F cabin slept most of the flight, but several of us were wide awake, and FA was aware of that. But the tone was almost one of "you're supposed to be sleeping and should not be expecting service on this flight."

6. The FA was absent from the F cabin most of flight, assumed he was assisting in the main cabin (except for the 10 min he spent sitting in the jumpseat looking at his phone).

7. Glasses, etc. were all left around the F cabin, and weren’t picked up until the absolute last minute during approach into CLT.

Did I just get unlucky, or is this what’s to be expected on a short mainline route like this? I’ve only had 1 other mainline upgrade in nearly 2 years, so not sure what’s the norm today. Honestly I’ve gotten far better service recently on shorter RJ flights. And since it was 541 miles, it cost 2 e-500’s.

Again, not an overall big deal, but would like to hear thoughts about if this is now typical.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Here we go *again*...............
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Based on my personal experience with early morning flights, i would say that was a FA problem, not normal at all.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As always - If you find the service offered lacking, there are three other "channels":

A. Call button - Push or pull it as the case may be
B. Flag - As the FA walks by, flag him down
C. Walk - It's a domestic narrow-body, so a short walk to the forward galley

It certainly is below the service standard, but I have a personal preference for not being disturbed on short flights and would prefer to ask for service when I want it.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dunno - I think AA's latest training manuals instruct FAs to only give the snack basket to one passenger on flights departing before 7am.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
That's actually pretty much what I normally get on NYC-CLT (minus the snack basket not being offered). Drink on the ground and two drinks in the air.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I dunno - I think AA's latest training manuals instruct FAs to only give the snack basket to one passenger on flights departing before 7am.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What is recurring on a statistically notable basis is parties coming to FT and starting a new thread to complain about service rather than using social skills and problem-solving skills on the spot. As in:

- When you get a moment could you hang my jacket please?

- I'm still a little hungry. I would like another pass at the snack basket.

- I have finished with my drink. Nothing more for me, thank you. Here you go.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
why on earth wouldn't you ask the flight attendant about the snack basket? This would't even be an afterthought if this happened to me.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
This is one of my regular routes, albeit in the evening.

I often find that on the shorter routes if the snack basket is picked at by the time they're through the second row then they'll go back and restock it for the other rows. Obviously this isn't a route specific thing, just something I notice.

Sometimes you just need to ask if you don't get the snacks/drinks you're looking for...

I've done these flights dozens of times in the past couple of years and it's almost always been the same, whether 737, 757, A321 etc.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EP
For god sakes just ask if for some reason u are not offered something.

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
A minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, to be sure, but a little disappointing nonetheless.

I recently flew early-morning (0630) JFK-CLT after coming off of a redeye. Scheduled block time is 2:11. Upgrade cleared at the gate (e-500’s). I think normally this is a 737 flight, but the afternoon before schedule shows it was substituted with an A320. The details-

1. We were offered a PDB, but the FA did not offer to hang up anyone’s jackets.

2. Soon after departure, drink orders were taken and served. Glasses were left at the seats.

3. Around mid-flight the FA asked the passenger in 1F (I was in 2F) if he’d like another beverage. FA then brought him a can of Coke, then offered him the fully-stocked-and-arranged snack basket. Passenger took an item, and then the FA then simply put the whole basket back in the galley, never offered it to anyone else!

4. A bit later the FA went by, and almost as an afterthought, asked me if I wanted another beverage, which he delivered. I assumed he would eventually bring the snack basket around, so I didn’t specifically ask him for it, which in retrospect I probably should have.

5. Half the F cabin slept most of the flight, but several of us were wide awake, and FA was aware of that. But the tone was almost one of "you're supposed to be sleeping and should not be expecting service on this flight."

6. The FA was absent from the F cabin most of flight, assumed he was assisting in the main cabin (except for the 10 min he spent sitting in the jumpseat looking at his phone).

7. Glasses, etc. were all left around the F cabin, and weren’t picked up until the absolute last minute during approach into CLT.

Did I just get unlucky, or is this what’s to be expected on a short mainline route like this? I’ve only had 1 other mainline upgrade in nearly 2 years, so not sure what’s the norm today. Honestly I’ve gotten far better service recently on shorter RJ flights. And since it was 541 miles, it cost 2 e-500’s.

Again, not an overall big deal, but would like to hear thoughts about if this is now typical.

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Mar 25, 2017 at 12:42 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What is recurring on a statistically notable basis is parties coming to FT and starting a new thread to complain about service rather than using social skills and problem-solving skills on the spot. .
^ This.

It is becoming a larger problem in society too. People don't have the fortitude to speak up in the moment and solve the issue but rather would post on some electronic media for comfort or even seek compensation after the fact and it's is just mind boggling.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That's actually pretty much what I normally get on NYC-CLT (minus the snack basket not being offered). Drink on the ground and two drinks in the air.
Agreed, and I have been a regular between NYC-CLT for years and years.

I've found the flight crews to be pretty uniformly friendly and helpful, and ranging from good to great. I've only had a rare flight where the crew wasn't helpful--sounds like the OP's experience was that rare flight.

I don't fault the OP for raising this online instead of in the air. Who wants to argue with a FA at 30,000 feet, particularly these days, or who wants to come across as pushy/demanding over something like a free drink? Not me.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I don't fault the OP for raising this online instead of in the air. Who wants to argue with a FA at 30,000 feet, particularly these days, or who wants to come across as pushy/demanding over something like a free drink? Not me.
I agree about not being confrontational. However, if you would like another beverage or a snack out of the snack basket, just politely ask. Usually, that will do the trick.

That said, if you feel the service was not good, then write a note to AA Customer Relations. They will follow up with the FA's supervisor.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes the service sucked but the OP should speak up if he wanted something more. Some FAs are mentally set to do the minimum unless someone speaks. Sad its that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.