Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: new IAG brand "Level" - will AA miles usable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT

IAG has created a new brand (bookable today) called Level, apparently using reconfigures IB A330s. There are 21 PE seats and 293 in Y.

While it is possible to earn and redeem Avios points, I'm wondering if AAdvantage miles will ever be redeemable. Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

I'm particularly interested in OAK-BCN travel, but Level also flys from BCN to LAX, PUJ and EZE.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by billgrates3
IAG has created a new brand (bookable today) called Level, apparently using reconfigures IB A330s. There are 21 PE seats and 293 in Y.

While it is possible to earn and redeem Avios points, I'm wondering if AAdvantage miles will ever be redeemable. Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

I'm particularly interested in OAK-BCN travel, but Level also flys from BCN to LAX, PUJ and EZE.
I doubt it, I would assume it will operate in a manner similar to Vueling (IAG-owned LCC) does and not be a member of OW.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
We can't use AAdvantage miles for trips on Vueling, so until that happens, I doubt using them on "Level" will be an option.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Fanjet
We can't use AAdvantage miles for trips on Vueling, so until that happens, I doubt using them on "Level" will be an option.
I'm sure you are right. Looking on Level's website, it looks like you can't even purchase an entire ticket with Avios, but can only offset some cost (and at a very bad rate of $/aviospoint).
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One can redeem AA miles for an award on BA subsidiary OpenSkies, however.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:21 pm

Will AA match/compete with these fares?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part.....

I was looking at LAX-BCN flights on google flights and notice the low fares
Unfortunately, I realize these flights, albeit non-stop, will most likely come with some service compromises (seat assignment, luggage, meal, etc....)

So... I'm wondering if AA will start lowering some of their fares on these routes to compete.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by directcj
Maybe wishful thinking on my part.....

I was looking at LAX-BCN flights on google flights and notice the low fares
Unfortunately, I realize these flights, albeit non-stop, will most likely come with some service compromises (seat assignment, luggage, meal, etc....)

So... I'm wondering if AA will start lowering some of their fares on these routes to compete.
Seems like this is the type of thing Basic Economy is supposed to address (albeit for international flights instead of domestic flights).

I went partway through check out to see some of the fees. The seat assignment fees were more modest than I would have expected ($33 per flight for good seats), while the meal charges are higher ($37 per flight).
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I was at OAK today and noticed the signs for service to BCN, but they were for Norwegian Airlines. OAK is going crazy with LCCs to Europe right now but I can't imagine it would support two to BCN.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by skunker
I was at OAK today and noticed the signs for service to BCN, but they were for Norwegian Airlines. OAK is going crazy with LCCs to Europe right now but I can't imagine it would support two to BCN.
For long-haul flights, the OAK catchment area will be (at least) the entire SF Bay Area.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:44 pm

Even if you could, I doubt you'd want to
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Even if you could, I doubt you'd want to
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've seen information from usually reliable people that at least some fares will presumably earn AAdvantage miles etc. I'll have to see it to believe it, but I'm passing this on.

Mind you, I'm really interested in when EI will join oneworld.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One can redeem AA miles for an award on BA subsidiary OpenSkies, however.
But OpenSkies is part of the TATL JV/ATI.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
But OpenSkies is part of the TATL JV/ATI.
What's to say that Level can't be part of the ATI'd JV?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What's to say that Level can't be part of the ATI'd JV?
Wouldn't that require renegotiation (including regulators) of the ATI JV, though?

It seems far simpler for IAG to declare that Level is a member of OW. Then no ATI JV would be required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.