Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Fixing cancelled AA award flight booked using other airline's miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I booked an award ticket involving connecting AA flights using Etihad miles. AA has cancelled one of my flights, resulting in a silly 9 hour layover on the replacement flights thrown into the booking. (No one notified me of the change, I just happened to catch it while checking the itinerary). There's now a vastly better AA connection that day that has plenty of revenue seats for sale, but -- surprise -- no standard award seats.

I know that the standard procedure for this type of issue is to contact the airline who's miles your using, and they have a "liaison desk" that then calls the airline you're flying who has had the schedule change. The airline you're flying will then make the seat available for award travel and the airline who's miles your using will rebook you. It's an annoying phone call or two, but it usually works.

In my case, however, Etihad is entirely incompetent and, so far, seems inclined to say there's nothing they can do. This is obviously false, as a phone call from them to AA is likely to solve my problem. The problem is getting Etihad to make that call and, so far, that doesn't seem possible.

What I'm wondering is whether there's any way to solve this problem from the other end. Is there any way I can get AA to call Etihad and tell them they've had a schedule change and need to rebook my flights?

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
I booked an award ticket involving connecting AA flights using Etihad miles. AA has cancelled one of my flights, resulting in a silly 9 hour layover on the replacement flights thrown into the booking. (No one notified me of the change, I just happened to catch it while checking the itinerary). There's now a vastly better AA connection that day that has plenty of revenue seats for sale, but -- surprise -- no standard award seats.

I know that the standard procedure for this type of issue is to contact the airline who's miles your using, and they have a "liaison desk" that then calls the airline you're flying who has had the schedule change. The airline you're flying will then make the seat available for award travel and the airline who's miles your using will rebook you. It's an annoying phone call or two, but it usually works.

In my case, however, Etihad is entirely incompetent and, so far, seems inclined to say there's nothing they can do. This is obviously false, as a phone call from them to AA is likely to solve my problem. The problem is getting Etihad to make that call and, so far, that doesn't seem possible.

What I'm wondering is whether there's any way to solve this problem from the other end. Is there any way I can get AA to call Etihad and tell them they've had a schedule change and need to rebook my flights?

Thanks.
Nope. Since the award is issued by EY, they only people that are even going to talk to you are at EY. AA is simply going to tell you to call them and have them contact AA. Unless AA opens award space at the lowest level EY can't book it. This isn't something an AA reservation agent can do, only someone in AA rev. mgmt can do that.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope. Since the award is issued by EY, they only people that are even going to talk to you are at EY. AA is simply going to tell you to call them and have them contact AA. Unless AA opens award space at the lowest level EY can't book it. This isn't something an AA reservation agent can do, only someone in AA rev. mgmt can do that.
Right -- my experience is always that the airline you booked the ticket with has to call. There certainly isn't much incentive for the airline you're travelling on to help you out in this situation -- you're not "their customer" and putting a seat into the award bucket might cost them money.

The problem is if the airline you booked the ticket with is incompetent. Sadly, that seems to be the situation with Etihad. I'll HUCA them a few more times but it doesn't look promising. I might have to chalk this up as another lesson in the potential pitfalls of partner award bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.