Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: "Fast Track" & Corporate Status Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC

Sometimes I wonder if there is a cosmic power in the universe just mocking me, lol! I just received an email this evening indicating a status challenge to EXP as I'm currently a Platinum. I have to register with a start date no later than Sep. 23, 2015 and achieve 25k EQP (points) in 3 months.

What's the mocking part you ask? I am about to start at a new job which doesn't have as frequent travel as my current job (if at all), starting Aug. 3, and I just purchased (today) a round trip flight on Qatar Airways from JFK to KWI (via DOH) departing Sep. 16, and this partner is not one of the eligible airlines for the challenge.

I started looking at the mileage runs and wish I would have been smarter when I booked. Perhaps I still have 24 hrs to cancel the nonrefundable ticket and look at other, more "MR" friendly ways to get to KWI (and eventually, LHE as well, on J class on Qatar Airways).

I suppose this thread is just to vent or to find out if more of you out there have received this targeted email and what your plans are to achieve the higher status.

Would you try to cancel my current flight and any recommendations to get to KWI on "American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways®, US Airways Express® and US Airways ShuttleSM, as well as eligible codeshare flights."?

Thanks always, awesome community!

Last edited by fayraree; Jul 13, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
We must work for the same company. Ironic for me is that I will hit EXP naturally in the next two weeks, so this would have been much more helpful a few months ago.

As to your question, I would presume BA would be a good option for you.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
do (2) mileage run flights from DFW-HKG and back and you should be set. That shouldn't cost more than $4000, probably less. a Paid J flight probably will get you near 25,000 EQPs and those are ~$6000.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:46 pm

Yep. I got the same offer. We either work for the same firm... Or AA is going to make getting EXP harder again next year and is offering it widely

The annoying this for me is I've done 18k miles in the past 4 weeks ans get this today. Wondering if they'll back date miles seeing as the sign up form specifies when we want the challenge to start.

I guess I'll qualify naturally by the end of the December so I'd probably just miss out on the 50k bonus and 2 months of only having Plat.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's some DCA-DFW-HKG fares out there right now in the $700 range, though they require a 2 night minimum stay (sample dates Oct 2-5 at $749 and Oct 1-5 at $703). They'd be over 18,000 miles RT and make a good dent in the 25,000 miles you need. I have one from SFO for $680 with about the same mileage. Add on a RT flight to Europe on top of that and you'd be right in the range of 25,000 miles.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
do (2) mileage run flights from DFW-HKG and back and you should be set. That shouldn't cost more than $4000, probably less. a Paid J flight probably will get you near 25,000 EQPs and those are ~$6000.
I just checked and I still have the ability to purchase my way to EXP for $2,499, but I think that is only until Feb 2016. I have to call in and see if I buy right before the offer expiration of 7/31, perhaps I can have the status until Feb 2017.

Given my change in work-related travel, and to avoid the hassle of MRs and flying like a mad man for several weekends, might be worth it to me to spend the $2.5k.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:00 pm

I gt same offer (sorry cross post).

I have booked this flight

LAX -> JFK
JFK -> MIA -> PTY
PTY -> MIA -> JFK
JFK -> CLT -> ORD
ORD -> LAX

In business. It is 10,000 Miles.

Right now, I am only a Gold AA but got Ex Plat Challenge.

How many EQP would those segments be? The whole trip is roughly 10,000 miles so I just need to see what I can do to hit the 25,000 EQP requirement (and if its even worth it).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by surftb15
I gt same offer (sorry cross post).
Actually, you didn't. The other posters can qualify with a targeted 25,000 mile challenge while you need 25,000 points. They're very different. You can view the points for different fares on the AA website and try to sort out the EQP numbers there.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Actually, you didn't. The other posters can qualify with a targeted 25,000 mile challenge while you need 25,000 points. They're very different. You can view the points for different fares on the AA website and try to sort out the EQP numbers there.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Actually, I stand corrected. The corporate challenge is for 25k EQ POINTS, not miles, as I stated in my OP. I will correct that.

Per link you posted, the answer to surftb15's question is that you get a 1.5 points multiplier on your miles, so that's 15,000 EQP's. Not sure if you get any additional boost for being a Gold.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by fayraree
Actually, I stand corrected. The corporate challenge is for 25k EQ POINTS, not miles, as I stated in my OP. I will correct that.

Per link you posted, the answer to surftb15's question is that you get a 1.5 points multiplier on your miles, so that's 15,000 EQP's. Not sure if you get any additional boost for being a Gold.
Theres a promotion right now with AA. All premium J/F cares earn 2 EQPs per mile instead of the usual 1.5.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Theres a promotion right now with AA. All premium J/F cares earn 2 EQPs per mile instead of the usual 1.5.
good call:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/n.../more-eqps.jsp
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
As to your question, I would presume BA would be a good option for you.
this is a good call...

I'm thinking I'll cancel my O-fare (discount economy) ticket with Qatar Airways, which only counts 25% of the qualifying miles!!!! Can someone explain whether the points multiple is applied to the ACTUAL mileage of the trip, or to the EQMs? If it's the former, then I don't think it's that bad to fly Qatar vs. BA (which would give me 100% of EQMs). But if the points are generated on the basis of EQMs, then I better switch to BA if I want to give myself a better chance to achieve the challenge. BA gives discounted economy (O, N, etc.) 100% EQMs...

For that matter, although Etihad doesn't have a full EQM/EQP chart on aa.com, I believe the same chart as AA would apply...checking my history to confirm.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

Good to note that the EQP bonus does NOT apply to challenges. Still 25000 EQPs come fairly easy with J fares internationally...

These constant challenges are making me regret going for EXP this year though!

Last edited by kauppias; Jul 14, 2015 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fayraree
What's the mocking part you ask? I am about to start at a new job which doesn't have as frequent travel as my current job (if at all), starting Aug. 3, and I just purchased (today) a round trip flight on Qatar Airways from JFK to KWI (via DOH) departing Sep. 16, and this partner is not one of the eligible airlines for the challenge.
Just out of curiosity if you are starting a new job with little to no travel, why not just stay at Platinum?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kauppias
Good to note that the EQP bonus does NOT apply to challenges. Still 25000 EQPs come fairly easy with J fares internationally...

These constant challenges are making me regret going for EXP this tear though!
There's been no appreciable change in "challenges" offered this year verse past years. In fact AA's decision to not offer extensive DEQM & TEQM promotions actually is a much better sign to keep from being bloated EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.