Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Voluntary downgrade on QR J Award - possible J seat? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

Hi, I'm on an AA J class award on the following itinerary

AKL-SYD (QF J)
SYD-DOH (QR J)
DOH-LHR (QR Y)

I decided to accept the economy seat (no availability in J at the time of reservation) for DOH-LHR as it's not too long and I just want to get home. There are still no award seats in J for this sector.

If it turns out J isn't full an hour or two before my DOH-LHR, is there any way for AA to negotiate the J award seat for which I've already paid in miles? I'm assuming it would have to come from AA's inventory - trying to explain the issue to a QR ticketing agent at Hamad would be useless...

Thanks for any insights!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
If it turns out J isn't full an hour or two before my DOH-LHR, is there any way for AA to negotiate the J award seat for which I've already paid in miles? I'm assuming it would have to come from AA's inventory - trying to explain the issue to a QR ticketing agent at Hamad would be useless...
Assuming you booked this as one award, South Pacific - Europe (as opposed to the award having been priced as two awards, a South Pacific - Middle East and a Middle East - Europe), then if QR open a business award seat on that flight you can take it without paying more miles. If it was booked as two awards, you'd pay the difference in miles for the upgraded sector—note that it can be on one PNR and still be priced as two awards, you can tell which by looking at your AAdvantage account for the redemption.

If QR never open the award space, there's nothing to negotiate officially, though I suppose you could ask for an OpUp if you get a gracious GA.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
In my experience, QR J award availability on DOH-LHR is actually fairly decent and QR tends to open up as the the departure date nears. There's quite a bit of capacity on this route, which is to your advantage. So keep checking availability on a daily basis.

To answer your original question, AA will not "negotiate" the release of a J award with QR, regardless of how empty the flight might be. You'll just need to hope that award availability becomes available.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
...I'm assuming it would have to come from AA's inventory...
Just to add to the above replies...there is no such thing as "AA's inventory" of award seats on a QR flight. Award inventory must be released by QR.

Note also that the QR GA cannot tell that you took a downgrade. All they see is that you have a Y booking.

On many flights to/from North America, QR will not release awards even if there are many empty seats. Maybe the LHR flight is different.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:22 am

Since your ticket is issued in Y for that segment you need to have AA reissue the ticket in J. Otherwise you will be stuck in Y even if seats open up.
I believe the only way to get an J coupon is to call AA after awards in business open up on that sector, but others might have more experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.