Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Food Allergy Group Files Complaint re AA No Pre-Boarding for People with Nut Allergy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food Allergy Group Files Complaint re AA No Pre-Boarding for People with Nut Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Visconti
In my view, we all have inconveniences we must deal with, especially when flying. I find no rational reason to tag an "allergy" a special reason deserving of an entitlement any more than those with, say, high blood pressure, Diabetic, overweight, fear of flying, etc...

Aside from the Disabled and those flying with small children, one must pay/acquire the perks to pre-board. Why should an allergy be any different? It appears, "they" would prefer not to deal with the inconvenience, but do not want to pay for it.

Likewise, if Airlines merely made it a consistent practice to save Bin space in F, I'd be the last to board, gladly allowing everyone to board before me.
You presume it is an entitlement to board early. As I have mentioned, I don't like to board early and find it to be an annoyance to have to board early. That's why I don't fly Southwest or avoid budget airlines. I like having an assigned seat and board later.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
You presume it is an entitlement to board early. As I have mentioned, I don't like to board early and find it to be an annoyance to have to board early. That's why I don't fly Southwest or avoid budget airlines. I like having an assigned seat and board later.
Agreed.

For me, I'd much rather board last. However, there are times when I prefer not to check my bag, and because of (1) FA's not consistently saving F bin space, and (2) this idiotic notion that bin space is first come first served forces me to be amongst the Gate lice.

Now, for a leisure trip, no problem. I'll check bags, or just leave the plane if I'm not comfortable with the arrangements.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by pinniped
I love watching Flyertalk completely melt down at the thought of 1 more person not as worthy or elite as us boarding the aircraft before us.

Even if they enacted some systemwide policy enabling people with allergies to board first, the odds that this ever had any material impact on any of us are so close to zero that it's hardly worth discussing. The person would board, wipe down the seat or whatever, and then we'd board with our F/EXP/Plat/Gold wave and go about our day.

The idea that you'll be on a flight with 50 people with allergies, all preboarding and taking up all overhead bins, with Golds being forced to gate-check bags, is a joke. You have anxiety about nothing...I recommend you get an Emotional Support Animal to calm yourself down.
Often see 20+ people preboarding on flights to/from Florida. Last trip included 3 wheel chairs, a motorized scooter and 2 service animals --- which really caused a headache when we landed since the aircraft required valet check for rollerboards (CRJ). Wheel chairs were staged where the handlers normally off load the carry on that was valet checked. Attendants stayed there until their pax retrieved their carry ons. No - allergy allowance wouldn't fix that flight scenario, but yes, there are many flights with already large preboard volume. Large preboard volume also common over the holidays and during school breaks.

If legitimate, then fine. It is what it is. But to paraphase an elite axiom, "if everyone preboards, then no one preboards".
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'd argue that it is simply because it costs AA time and money to respond, which ultimately gets passed on to passengers in the form of higher ticket costs.
Incorrect. Ticket prices are determined by the market. This might eat into AA's profit margin by a completely negligible amount, or (more likely) have no real effect as they're already paying the employee who will ultimately deal with this.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Even if they enacted some systemwide policy enabling people with allergies to board first, the odds that this ever had any material impact on any of us are so close to zero that it's hardly worth discussing. The person would board, wipe down the seat or whatever, and then we'd board with our F/EXP/Plat/Gold wave and go about our day.
+1

The idea that you'll be on a flight with 50 people with allergies, all preboarding and taking up all overhead bins, with Golds being forced to gate-check bags, is a joke. You have anxiety about nothing...I recommend you get an Emotional Support Animal to calm yourself down.
Brilliant! I'll get an ESA and then lobby to have people with ESAs pre-board before the peanut allergy pre-board group!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by honeytoes
...but your son wearing latex gloves will exacerbate folks with allergies to latex.

This is all ridiculous.
New game to pass the time away on flights
instead of rock/paper/scissors it's peanut/latex/gluten

agreed, ridiculous all this micro-segmenting of people and their special needs.

to the poster who said there won't be 50 people preboarding, you're right. But look at how carried away people have gotten with their "emotional support animals." Thay whole "accommodation" has gotten out of control and this will likely be no different. I love dogs, but you see them EVERYWHERE in airports and on planes now, and I doubt that THAT huge of a number of people have suddenly gone crazy that they legitimately need them for emotional support. It's not about being "less elite" than me, it's the obnoxious "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" mentality that many people seem to have.

We've got blogs on how to thread the loopholes on getting more points, blogs on how to fly your dog for free, and on and on....
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:16 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sorry, but if you're told that a person has a peanut allergy and still feel you need to have peanuts/PB then when the person goes into anaphylactic shock you should be charged with assault. If the person dies, murder. Any other circumstance if you did something that was known to cause injury/death to someone you would be.
That is simply not true. if a beautiful woman walks naked in front of an old man she knows to have weak heart, is she responsible if he has a heart attack? No! Its called personal accountability. If your allergy risk is that great, then but an entire row of coach seats or don't fly. Don't infringe on my rights!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
New game to pass the time away on flights
instead of rock/paper/scissors it's peanut/latex/gluten

agreed, ridiculous all this micro-segmenting of people and their special needs.

to the poster who said there won't be 50 people preboarding, you're right. But look at how carried away people have gotten with their "emotional support animals." Thay whole "accommodation" has gotten out of control and this will likely be no different. I love dogs, but you see them EVERYWHERE in airports and on planes now, and I doubt that THAT huge of a number of people have suddenly gone crazy that they legitimately need them for emotional support. It's not about being "less elite" than me, it's the obnoxious "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" mentality that many people seem to have.

We've got blogs on how to thread the loopholes on getting more points, blogs on how to fly your dog for free, and on and on....
It's definitely gotten way out of hand.

However, any private enterprise can deal with it as they deem fitting. We as consumers can just spend our money elsewhere. I'm no one of significance, but aside from (burning UA Miles accrued from my Corp days), I will never spend money on UA again, lest they improve their product.

Naturally, it's of no consequence to UA, but we as consumers do have choices.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:10 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Visconti
However, any private enterprise can deal with it as they deem fitting.
Except that is not true. All of these ridiculous laws requiring accommodations mean they have to dole out all of these favors for people with supposed disabilities/issues/etc. Its sad that we elites (and the rest of the flying public) suffer the consequences...
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread has jumped the track and serves no useful purpose at this point, so it will be closed.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.