Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and AS / Alaska reduce hub codesharing 2017 with VX merge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA and AS / Alaska reduce hub codesharing 2017 with VX merge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I just had a BWI-LAX flight dropped. Now AA wants me to go BWI-DFW-LAX/LAX-PHL-BWI which will take hours more. This is unacceptable. If I have to re-buy the AS flight it's now $550. I am going to call and ask if they can put me on the DCA-LAX, but I have a friend who is coming and she bought BWI-LAX through AS, not AA, so now she's stuck. This is so stupid.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:31 am

I had a ticket from OGG to SJC booked as an AA marketed ticket on an AS operated flight and then a separate ticket from SJC to PHX the next morning on AA.

AA cancelled the OGG to SJC ticket. No notice at all. I went into AS.com to see about purchasing upgraded seats and found my ticket had been cancelled. I have to call AA, but I have no idea what they will offer me, and the separate ticket thing is going to be a problem I imagine. I'm going to ask to be rerouted from OGG to PHX directly and to have both tickets refunded but I have a feeling I'm going to get pushback given that they are separate tickets.

I got a great deal on the ticket and the same flight now is over $1,000. This is really dumb.

Last edited by lkar; Mar 20, 2017 at 11:05 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:22 am

So, AA refusing to do anything but re-accommodate me on OGG to SJC, changing me from the daytime AS flight to a redeye, connecting in LAX. They will not rebook me from OGG to PHX, and they will allow me to refund the OGG to SJC ticket, but not the SJC to PHX ticket, because they are separate tickets. That's what I was afraid of, but it seems pretty harsh.

Anyone think I have a case to escalate or even whether there's a way to escalate? I think she documented the record, so I'm not sure I have any options at all. Seems pretty lame, but I guess it's the hazard of split tickets.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Seems pretty lousy all around. Could you try calling back to see if they can re-route you on an OGG-PHX-SJC itinerary (so you can just get off in PHX and skip the last segment)?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lkar
Seems pretty lame, but I guess it's the hazard of split tickets.
Yup. "Great deals" often have downsides.

Originally Posted by daron4000
Seems pretty lousy all around. Could you try calling back to see if they can re-route you on an OGG-PHX-SJC itinerary (so you can just get off in PHX and skip the last segment)?
Oooh, tricky. Might not want to put your AA# on that ticket, though...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by daron4000
I thought about asking, but it would have been pretty obvious to do on the same call, but it won't work anyway, because we'll have lots of bags.

I did ask if they could simply change the OGG-SJC ticket to OGG-LAX, since it's a day flight, and then I would make my own way from LAX to PHX, but they said no.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought about asking, but it would have been pretty obvious to do on the same call, but it won't work anyway, because we'll have lots of bags.
Just have them short-check to PHX. Nobody will notice and figure out what you're trying to do, assuming nobody has an IQ higher than that of peanut butter.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:29 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Just have them short-check to PHX. Nobody will notice and figure out what you're trying to do, assuming nobody has an IQ higher than that of peanut butter.
AA will not short check bags.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
AA will not short check bags.
Perhaps I needed to add a "this is a joke" icon to ?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Why was the original ticket cancelled? Has the flight been cancelled?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why was the original ticket cancelled? Has the flight been cancelled?
No, the flight still exists but AA says they cannot put me on it because they no longer codeshare with AS on the route so they told AS -- apparently three weeks ago without letting me know -- that they were not honoring the ticket, and now AS says I have no ticket. I'm actually beyond pissed, as I've stewed about it.

AA claims their only obligation is to reroute on their metal -- red eye with a stop -- or refund me. The refund does me little good because flights now on all carriers are more than double what I paid (for four tickets) and the AS flight is over $1,000 (I paid $250).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the flight still exists but AA says they cannot put me on it because they no longer codeshare with AS on the route so they told AS -- apparently three weeks ago without letting me know -- that they were not honoring the ticket, and now AS says I have no ticket. I'm actually beyond pissed, as I've stewed about it.

AA claims their only obligation is to reroute on their metal -- red eye with a stop -- or refund me. The refund does me little good because flights now on all carriers are more than double what I paid (for four tickets) and the AS flight is over $1,000 (I paid $250).
Wow, that's a DOT/customer complaint if I've ever heard one. What, were you going to walk up the day of flight and find out you were sans ticket, potentially, with nobody telling you, and out good money?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Wow, that's a DOT/customer complaint if I've ever heard one. What, were you going to walk up the day of flight and find out you were sans ticket, potentially, with nobody telling you, and out good money?
No they would've re-routed, but no promise on which flights would there be availability. Flights get cancelled all the time. In this case OP was booked on an AA flight (operated by AS) that was cancelled. While the AS flight still exists, they were booked on an AA flight. AA has done it's job by offering a re-route or refund, thus no grounds for compliant.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:21 am

I think if I'd walked up, though, they likely would have re-routed me to PHX, since it's my final destination and they are required to protect on separate tickets for IROPS. Maybe not, but I probably would have had more flexibility. At the moment, they are refusing to re-route me to PHX and only to send me to SJC on a red eye connection.

I think it's debatable whether the flight has been cancelled, but in the end the language of the COC is broad enough that I don't think it much matters.

It's a pretty crappy situation. I have plenty of time to see if flights on other carriers lower or mileage tickets open.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:16 pm

Sorry if I'm hijacking the discussion, but I've looked for an AA/AS/VX thread to ask on.

I tend to fly SAN -> SFO for work purposes. My best option is VX, which I can now book as an AS codeshare, but I can't think of a way to get this credited on the AA side.

Will this be impossible until AA flies this route themselves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.